Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 27, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #8,671 of 9,207
  I've used a number of amps with these cans. Polaris, Ember, Ember II, BHA-1, HK3490, Onkyo, SONY, Pioneer, etc...

I have now found that feeding this headphone with crazy watts does it wonders. I'm running it off a Maggie 8802 amp off the speaker taps which provide 12 watts per channel via a HiFiMan HE adapter and the LCD-2f is a whole new beast. Damn.

rolleyes.gif
 Tell me more! Please! Tell me more! What about the bass? What does 12 watts do for the bass reproduction of the lcd2f? 
popcorn.gif

I'm not (yet) planning on getting a 12watt amp. But, I am 'saving' (read 'softening up the wife') for a Krell klone, which is supposed to have about 8 watts output.

It's always interesting to read about the effects of 'excess' power; especially when there are those who quote sensitivity and power equations, and insist that a nanowatt (or something like that) is more than ample. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #8,672 of 9,207
  Let's say that I have a penchant for Chinese equipment; like the ever increasing number of clones, or near clones, and the original Chinese designed stuff.

I'm looking to upgrade my Gustard H10 (a dual transformered V200 clone) that has been performing quite well powering some LCD2Fs.

I was originally going to commit to a Chinese made Beta 22. But, reading back earlier in the thread, there seems to be consensus that a Krell KSA5 clone is even better than the B22.

As for my sound preferences: after listening to my set-up for the first time in 6 months, I found that the sound is quite detail-forward; a little bright. This was my first impression, compared to my perception of both real sound, and familiar old recordings. This, I expect, is the character of the fazored lcd2. So, I'm definitely not looking for a 'bright' sounding amp; a little warmer/fuller sound would be preferential.

Out of the the known Chinese contenders, I'm looking at B22 and KSA5 clones. But, the better looking versions of these are getting into Audio-GD territory, in price; a fairly established and reputable brand. So, maybe I should also consider the Audiogd C2 (or NFB-1; I could go balanced). If reliability was a concern, I guess this would be my choice. But it's not; SQ is the No.1 priority here!

Here are some pics of some contenders:

KSA5

B22

Audio-GD C2 (NFB1)

If anyone has made comparisons (with anything), has any feedback, or has a better (Chinese sourced) suggestion, your input would be much appreciated.

Just avoid the hustle, NFB-1AMP is perfect for LCD-2, and uses higher quality parts than any of the amps you listed, fully balanced, zero feedback and class A.
The difference between Master 9 and NFB-1AMP is that almost 3 watts of 8 in NFB-AMP at 40ohm are pure class A, and once passed that limit it switchs to class A/B to provide more power. Master 9 has 6 of 9w at pure class A, that's the reason of why it is like 3 times bigger with only 1 more W of power.
With LCD-2, it can take 4w at 70ohm (NFB-1AMP has 5w of power at 70ohm), but that's the maximum they can take, way less power is used 99% of ocasions, so NFB-1AMP will run LCD-2 in pure class A almost all the time. NFB-1AMP is overkill and will drive 95% of headphones out there in pure class A.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #8,673 of 9,207

Just avoid the hustle, NFB-1AMP is perfect for LCD-2, and uses higher quality parts than any of the amps you listed, fully balanced, zero feedback and class A.
The difference between Master 9 and NFB-1AMP is that almost 3 watts of 8 in NFB-AMP at 40ohm are pure class A, and once passed that limit it switchs to class A/B to provide more power. Master 9 has 6 of 9w at pure class A, that's the reason of why it is like 3 times bigger with only 1 more W of power.
With LCD-2, it can take 4w at 70ohm (NFB-1AMP has 5w of power at 70ohm), but that's the maximum they can take, way less power is used 99% of ocasions, so NFB-1AMP will run LCD-2 in pure class A almost all the time. NFB-1AMP is overkill and will drive 95% of headphones out there in pure class A.

Yeah, I am indeed sorely tempted by the A-gd products. They really are quite comprehensive in their connections, and features. And it's interesting to know that, most of the time, most of the power will be class A (although I still don't understand the technicalities, of this).
Also, it's good that these A-gd amps have plenty of power: I'm a believer in 'excess' power: nomatter what the maths says, I still believe that amps need reserves, to really control a transducer.

Although, one concern still remains: this regards the bass; I'm not sure that A-gd amps have much damping factor. I know this, because Kingwa told me so, when I enquired about one of his integrated amps. It's because of the unique circuit architecture. I've yet to hear one, but it seems like this line of products must be very tube-like, in their characteristics. And a characteristic of tube amps is low DF.

This only really matters for those lowest of notes, and only then if the transducer is capable of reproducing them. But, be it headphones, or loudspeakers, that's what I'm trying to achieve, and that's what Audeze 'phones are supposed to be famous for.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #8,674 of 9,207
Class A is the most "pure" amplification. But it's very inefficient and hard to keep low distortion on it, so it's usually found in audiophile gear only. It's supposed to sound more smooth and natural, though I've never really been able to test that myself. My A-GD NFB-28 certainly sounds that way at least, and it's Class A :D.

Damping factor has to do with output impedance - most A-GD amps are 2 ohms or less, which IMO, is plenty. That'll keep any frequency response issues/bloating from happening. It otherwise shoudn't affect low frequencies differently from higher ones, especially on planars.

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #8,675 of 9,207
Anyone using the Nelson Pass DIY dual mono amp kit with LCD series cans ?
http://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit

This amp kit must be amazing for the price.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #8,676 of 9,207
  Class A is the most "pure" amplification. But it's very inefficient and hard to keep low distortion on it, so it's usually found in audiophile gear only. It's supposed to sound more smooth and natural, though I've never really been able to test that myself. My A-GD NFB-28 certainly sounds that way at least, and it's Class A :D.

Damping factor has to do with output impedance - most A-GD amps are 2 ohms or less, which IMO, is plenty. That'll keep any frequency response issues/bloating from happening. It otherwise shoudn't affect low frequencies differently from higher ones, especially on planars.

Anyone using the Nelson Pass DIY dual mono amp kit with LCD series cans ?
http://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit

This amp kit must be amazing for the price.

A quote from the 'Amp Camp'-

"A Pure "Class A" Design 
Most amplifier designs switch transistors on and off causing noise. Class A amplifiers are always operating in their sweet spot, which is why people say they sound "silky smooth"."

I guess the transistors spend more time in the 'on' position; that's why class A amps run hotter, and use more juice.

The ACA kit looks like an interesting headphone amp. I'm not convinced that it would be much use for the combination of rock and electronica, plus some transmission line speakers. But, if I lived in the US, I'd probably give it go, just for headphones.

I'm still trying (and probably will never manage) to get my head around the differences between driving planar and dynamic diaphragms, as far as amping is concerned.

Planar diaphragms have less mass (inertia): it takes less physical force to get them to move, and less to control that movement. So, maybe damping factor is less of an issue.

But, that's just the physical aspect. The other part is the amp's ability to effect the driver. And planars, with their (struggling here!) circuit track(?) in the diaphragm, and magnet array, are less efficient, electrically speaking. This effects the amps ability to manage the movement of the driver.

So, dynamic drivers = electrically efficient - more mass/inertia (to overcome)
      Planar drivers = electrically inefficient - less mass

I've noticed that planar 'phones sound fast and tend to really hit the beginning of a (bass) note, but can then sometimes lose some oomph. e.g. Planars go 'THump', or 'KIck'; whereas dynamics go 'tHUMp' and 'kICk'. (if that makes any sense.) Planars really produce the initial impact of the note, very well.

This would suggest that the amp can get the driver moving, quite easily enough. But, is then maybe losing some steam, as the less efficient planar circuit track 'voice coil' drains it of its reserves of power. (Does this make sense, to anyone?).

If I'm right, then some extra juice, over the 2 watts that the H10 is already capable of, may do something to 'fill out' the lower registers, somewhat. But, it could also have the opposite effect, due to increased control and damping. 
blink.gif

I guess there's only one way to find out.......Audio-GD or ..........???

Sep 8, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #8,677 of 9,207
I will not read the 579 pages of this thread but what about the deckard from audeze? Isn't suppose to be the best thing to match audeze headphones such as the LCD2?

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #8,678 of 9,207
It's got enough power (Class A too), and a clean DAC. It's a very safe choice :).

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #8,679 of 9,207
I will not read the 579 pages of this thread but what about the deckard from audeze? Isn't suppose to be the best thing to match audeze headphones such as the LCD2?

It's a shame that you're so adamant that you "will not" read through the thread. But, with so many pages, it's understandable. However, you could use the search function: it's a bit fiddly to use, but it serves a purpose. :cool:

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #8,680 of 9,207
It's got enough power (Class A too), and a clean DAC. It's a very safe choice :).

TBH, if I didn't already have a good dac, I'd looking getting an A-gd dac/amp solution. But, I'd still probably go for separates, and use their acss connection.
But now, I'm definitely looking at getting a stand-alone amp: if it's an ag-d, then the C2/NFB1. Or otherwise, maybe something more 'experimental'. :wink:

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #8,681 of 9,207
I think the new Schiit Jotunheim is an insanely attractive choice, with how much crazy power it's capable of, especially balanced. I kinda want one.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #8,682 of 9,207
I am just listening to the LCD2, it's a good sound but I am surprised it doesn't have bigger soundstage than a closed cans like the dt770. I expected more on that end, the bass is OK but could be improved and the imaging is slightly weird. I hope to find a dac/amp that will correct these issues and everything will be perfect.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #8,683 of 9,207
I am just listening to the LCD2, it's a good sound but I am surprised it doesn't have bigger soundstage than a closed cans like the dt770. I expected more on that end, the bass is OK but could be improved and the imaging is slightly weird. I hope to find a dac/amp that will correct these issues and everything will be perfect.

Sometimes people can take a bit to get used to the bass, as they expect a ton of it, but then get addicted to the accuracy and texture of the bass. The headphones should image great, but yeah soundstage isn't actually that good, my closed AKG K550 has a bigger soundstage, but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good. You may be able to improve bass control and power as well as imaging with a more powerful headphone amp. Many people report great things when you increase power. I'm really tempted to get a new amp soon as well.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #8,684 of 9,207

Sound-stage? I think that this is an often mentioned 'factor', with planar HPs: it ain't that good. I don't think that it's any wider, with my lcd2f, than with my closed headphones. Although, imaging is in another league.

It also depends on which model (revision) you have: the fazors (apparently) have a very different sound signature, to the pre-fazors, such as improved imaging.

This also includes the bass. Additionally, as Sludgeogre mentioned, the choice of amp can have a profound effect on the bass performance (I have further experiments to make). But generally, the lcd2f could never be labelled as a basshead's phone, unless (unlike me) you're happy to use EQ: planars are supposed to respond, very well, to this!

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #8,685 of 9,207
Going balanced nudges the sound-stage wider and you can use this VST AU plug-in to dial sound-stage if your player support plug-ins...

TB Isone

http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back