Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Mar 23, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #2,056 of 2,483

Quote:
Use a 2 components epoxy to glue the distancers. My favorite small amount sort is called "Uhu Endfest", but I severely doubt that is its nomenclature in the whole EU...

I think I can find some Uhu epoxy 2 comp., great. My glue was not that bad as the cup are glued and won't allow me for a clean removal :'(
Had to do it my way, and it was safe using spacers for a 0.5/0.8mm punch.
First I was trying to punch... the frame then discover there are round spaces under the felt... =)

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3548/pushf.jpg
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8355/spacersn.jpg

Mar 23, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #2,057 of 2,483

Quote:
I think I can find some Uhu epoxy 2 comp., great. My glue was not that bad as the cup are glued and won't allow me for a clean removal :'(
Had to do it my way, and it was safe using spacers for a 0.5/0.8mm punch.
First I was trying to punch... the frame then discover there are round spaces under the felt... =)

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/3548/pushf.jpg
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8355/spacersn.jpg

Very creative, good job on that.

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #2,058 of 2,483
Yep, good method for team scared... 
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #2,059 of 2,483
I almost crapped my pants seeing these photos. You are willing to do that but are too scared to open the cups? Haha. ;p

I secure my distancers with regular hot glue.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #2,061 of 2,483
Well, this was the night, toooonight, everything ha-ve been aaaalllright. (No, this is not the ladies' night sadly).
Started to have some test CDs, ended with discs everywhere a long listening time, good sign!
Yep, bass... messy sometimes... but I don't like the sound. I've never... that POS of Panasonic SL-CT780 has no air, no control, I need a new source :)
Can't tell much how it sound until I got decent gear.

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #2,062 of 2,483
Oh and I reckon covering the pads with t-shirt material would render a comparison of the pad's foam (genuine to not) less relevant.

edit: Damnit, sold out before I had the funds to buy.  Word travels fast around here.  Back in stock and ordered.  Will post impressions.

Mar 27, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #2,064 of 2,483
Sit down, help yourself with the cookies. Nope, it's non-smokers in here
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #2,066 of 2,483
Thank you. Dependent from wood sort, they even smell very delicate...e.g. Amboina smells like cinnamon...

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #2,067 of 2,483
Thinking of ordering a set of these for my SR-225's. Impressions? Are you able to compare them to the genuine G pads?

Quote:
Oh and I reckon covering the pads with t-shirt material would render a comparison of the pad's foam (genuine to not) less relevant.

edit: Damnit, sold out before I had the funds to buy.  Word travels fast around here.  Back in stock and ordered.  Will post impressions.

Apr 7, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #2,068 of 2,483
Pads arrived today.  First (negative) thing I notice is they are slightly mis-matched.  One is thicker than the other by about 5mm, and the surface that will rest on the head is square-cut on one and more rounded on the other.  NO BIGGIE.  I can't tell the difference when wearing the phones.  I guess they are hand made by someone in a small room, somewhere in China.  The seller should probably match them better, considering the price.  NVM.

Another minor negative was that on one pad, the groove for mounting to the headphone baffle was partially stuck together.  I imagine it melted together after being cut with a hot knife or some similar technique.  I was able to peel it apart fairly easily.  The pads fit to the headphone easily and there is no discernable movement or play when mounted to the baffle.  The foam is soft and comfortable.  I have only worn them for half an hour and I will report back on longer term comfort, but considering how light these phones are, I don't think I'll have an issue with that.

I am not able to compare these to genuine pads. The reason I bought them was because the genuine Grado pads are exhorbitantly priced.  Apart from a nice overall increase in sound-stage (without distancers), I cannot comment on sq at this early stage.  I will be comparing these fitted to MS1 (with and without distancers) against a pair of K601.   So far I am happy with the purchase.

I have made some distancers from some 50mm drainage pipe leftover from my house construction.  With a compound mitre saw and some pipe glue I have these are dead easy to make.  I used the same sized pipe for the pad mounting lip, which I cut once and stretched over the longer distancing portion.  Consequently there is a small gap <10mm in the circumference of the lip, but I don't expect that will detrimentally affect pad fit or sq.

If anyone is curious I will post photos of the procedure to make the distancers.  Anyone who has access to a drop-saw will find it REALLY SIMPLE to make their own.

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #2,069 of 2,483
After an hour and a half, comfort is fine, no problems.  Sound-wise compared to K601, I prefer MS1 (without distancers at the moment) with faux G-cush for it's stronger attack and more meat-on-bones presentation.  Imaging is better also and soundstage is smaller but much more realistic.  Instrument timbre is more real.  K601 sounds distant and laid back, too laid back for me.  K601 is smoother, quieter and more 'hifi', but that's all.  Could be amp synergy as mine is known for it's affinity with Grados (MAD EAR HD SE), even though I can hear much more hiss with the MS1, I don't really mind.  I think the hiss helps conceal my tinnitus!

Will compare with distancers in due course.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #2,070 of 2,483
Thanks for posting your thoughts! 5mm is a pretty big discrepancy, although I suppose if they work, are comfortable and don't feel any different then you're all set. I look forward to reading your further impressions as you live with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back