Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Mar 20, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #2,026 of 2,483
I've just listened to MS Pro yesterday, these cans are awesome.I think MS Ultimate will be more than "awesome", so i'm planning to get one, but a 2nd MS Pro is so hard to find these days, and a new one will punch a big hole on my wallet :frowning2:.Do you guys know anyone want to sell their MS Pro :D ?

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #2,027 of 2,483
Mar 20, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #2,028 of 2,483
oh nice.

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #2,029 of 2,483
Quote:

where do you get the foam strips on the underside of the headband?

Edit:
Quote:
 J$ headband with HD25 adhesive pad thingies.

doh! i guess this the answer. where do you get these 'hd25 adhesive pad thingies'? are they available separately and if so what's their official name. i don't think sennheiser is going to take an order for 'thingies' of any sort. 
blink.gif

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #2,030 of 2,483
Quote:
I think MS Ultimate will be more than "awesome", so i'm planning to get one, but a 2nd MS Pro is so hard to find these days, and a new one will punch a big hole on my wallet :frowning2:.Do you guys know anyone want to sell their MS Pro :D ?

try searching the FS forum. these phones do show up from time to time and iirc there was a set posted recently.  if you buy them and mod them please post your impressions, especially in comparison to other cans  (especially the ms1ks).

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #2,031 of 2,483

Quote:
doh! i guess this the answer. where do you get these 'hd25 adhesive pad thingies'? are they available separately and if so what's their official name. i don't think sennheiser is going to take an order for 'thingies' of any sort. 
blink.gif

These are just called HD25 replacement head-pad. You can get them separately for about 7€/piece!  directly from Sennheiser.

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #2,032 of 2,483
I just did a quick check on the impedance by connecting to the MS1 jack, it seems the left side is around 33ohms which is normal while the right side is 70ohms, this explains the lower volume on the right but not sure how it's related to earlier burst on strong bass.

So can you guys help me figure it's the driver problem or cabling? I really don't want to spend too much time & money on fixing it if it's the driver's problem.

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #2,033 of 2,483

Quote:
I just did a quick check on the impedance by connecting to the MS1 jack, it seems the left side is around 33ohms which is normal while the right side is 70ohms, this explains the lower volume on the right but not sure how it's related to earlier burst on strong bass.

So can you guys help me figure it's the driver problem or cabling? I really don't want to spend too much time & money on fixing it if it's the driver's problem.

Open the back of the headphones, you'll see 2 conductors.Use your multimeter to check the impedance between these points.If it ~ 32ohms, the driver is good, and the cable must be replaced.If it's still 70ohms, there is problem with the driver

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #2,035 of 2,483
The ohm is around 84 on the right, so i guess can't do anything yea? The sound on the right is totally gone now, not sure what went wrong. The cabling seems ok i guess it's the internal connection or position that went off. Now i guess the only thing left is to get another one... At least i have 1 spare speaker now.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #2,036 of 2,483
Quote:
The ohm is around 84 on the right, so i guess can't do anything yea? The sound on the right is totally gone now, not sure what went wrong. The cabling seems ok i guess it's the internal connection or position that went off. Now i guess the only thing left is to get another one... At least i have 1 spare speaker now.

papaya, send them to grado. for a flat fee they'll fix the headphone. btw, where are you located? (it's useful to fill out your profile with at least your location, gear present and past, and musical tastes. it makes it a lot easier for folks to give you meaningful responses!).

Quote:
These are just called HD25 replacement head-pad. You can get them separately for about 7€/piece!  directly from Sennheiser.

thanks for the clarification. would it be possible for someone to measure them? i want to see if they'll fit on some other headbands. tia.

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #2,037 of 2,483

Quote:
Crazy...just read the whole 136 page of this thread in two days, and I'm getting the ms1i ASAP..
About the metal housing that Jaben sells, I've already confirmed with their staff that it is quite heavy, so might as well stick to the original plastic housing..

There was a pair of alumod (what I believe were) SR80s at the NYC Meet on Sunday. Even though they were using bowl pads I thought they sounded fantastic, with oodles of bass. With jumbos they might not suffer from the lean bass that most MS1000s do :)

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #2,038 of 2,483

Quote:

The same thing happened to me before and I still have the broken driver lying around. In my case, the sound would cut out sometimes but it could be brought back by tapping on the earcup with my fingers. I'd be very interested to know what could cause a driver's impedance to increase on its own like that.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #2,039 of 2,483

Quote:
There was a pair of alumod (what I believe were) SR80s at the NYC Meet on Sunday. Even though they were using bowl pads I thought they sounded fantastic, with oodles of bass. With jumbos they might not suffer from the lean bass that most MS1000s do :)

Vent the MS-1 and you'll have more than enough bass to fit anyone's preference.

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #2,040 of 2,483

Quote:
Vent the MS-1 and you'll have more than enough bass to fit anyone's preference.

Whoops, forgot about the venting... nuts, that just might make me try the MS1k again. I've been meaning to get an MS1 as a rock secondary for a while... just have to find out where to get distancers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back