Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Apr 15, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #2,087 of 2,483
Flipjack good points, I have similar taste. For me is also the most important overall enjoyment. If I will write something it will be sure very very short with my english only my feelings.

As you can see for example in PS1K thread a few people prefer them over LCD2.

Just important thing. Some people say LCD2 needs a lot of power and vica versa. I say they need quality solid state amp according their choco character (subjective somobody may prefer hybrids, tubes) and quality source if dac then with proper transport. Otherwise it lose resolution and openness, highs rolled off etc.
I will expect from MS1000 airy, romantic, excitement sound, some songs will be super and vica versa classical Grado thin sound. For me MS Pro Ulltimate was one the most impressive experience with headphone I have heard it from WLM Gamma DAC and WLM Head One. LCD2 have high standart in universall it is not thin. I am sure they will not sound as open against Alessandro's, LCD2 have very nice romantic mids with good imagine and blacker, similar to Westone but of course not narrow forward as Westone, overall LCD2 is very musical tones vocals have alive feeling, also I am a big lover of guitars as you LCD2 have also very nice guitars but sure not that crispy as Alessandro's. And I am still waiting for my amp ss cca 5W to 60 Ohm and it will be also a little modded for LCD2 character. So I will see. I can only say I miss MS Pro mine was super fast, detailed, emotinal, light bass, sound like breeze.. I wish I did not sold them. So it is reason I want try MS1000. 

Just my thoughts I will let know when will be right time.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #2,088 of 2,483
Hm, maybe I should give my Ultis more listening time again. The NAD RP18 just have swallowed all my attention in the last weeks...

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #2,089 of 2,483
I use a toilet paper roll and tape it on my MS1i since I can't find anyone who sell distancers and I don't have tools or materials to make one myself, anyways, toilet paper roll works pretty good too.

Apr 16, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #2,091 of 2,483
As long as these things have roughly the correct diameter and get damped with felt, why not. If they are fine, you can apply epoxy or other glue stuff layers from outside to make them stronger.

My very 1st attempts were also out of cardboard...

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #2,094 of 2,483
Get some blu-tack man, that tape looks shoddy.

Paper mache distancers would be a great way to diy.  Especially starting with a toilet roll and adding layers, you could make the thickened rim for the pads to mount to by adding a length of wire or something else before covering with the paper mache.

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #2,095 of 2,483

Quote:
Get some blu-tack man, that tape looks shoddy.

Paper mache distancers would be a great way to diy.  Especially starting with a toilet roll and adding layers, you could make the thickened rim for the pads to mount to by adding a length of wire or something else before covering with the paper mache.

I'll try that, thanks

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #2,096 of 2,483
Have you considered the 3 holes already? Should be easely to be implemented...and don't forget the pad coating and the punch-hole mod, otherwise, you're only half way there.

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #2,098 of 2,483
I rather not to, I might want to sell it in the future.
wink.gif

Quote:
Have you considered the 3 holes already? Should be easely to be implemented...and don't forget the pad coating and the punch-hole mod, otherwise, you're only half way there.

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #2,099 of 2,483
Just finished lining and drilling the distancers.  I've compared them briefly with a pair of K601s and the MS1000 clearly have more mid range body and intimacy.  MS1000 sound-stage is airy but still more realistic than the K601, which is distant sounding, a trait that I find fatiguing because I feel compelled to listen carefully.  I can relax with the MS1000 because the sound is more intimate and forward and does not require so much attention to enjoy.  I also find the MS1000 much lighter and more comfortable.  The faux pads are quite soft and I am not irritated by them at all.  I imagine they will soften with a few washes.

The fine felt lining helped a little with taming the highs and the holes drilled did not increase bass but helped it sound more controlled.  I will leave my MS1000s as they are for a while to get used to them, however I will try the hole punch mod later as I have noticed the bass is much leaner overall than the stock MS1s now.

The project has cost me about the same as the K601 purchased second-hand, which is a great value to me because I can enjoy these much more.

Thanks nickchen for sharing all your findings with the community.

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #2,100 of 2,483
You really should do the punch hole (Bilavideo-) mod. It brings out more bass and fun. My advice would be to do 4. I had 5 on my last MS-1, but that was a little too much at times. 4 is perfect. :)

I am now very content with my current scheme:
1x 2mm hole in the distancer
4 holes punched in the back
No lined pads

Previously I had the pads lined and indeed the mids get a nice boost from it; that I appreciated, but after a while I got fed up with having such an ugly piece of cloth in my pads. Also, without cloth the sound is more airier and easy on the ears as I don't have the feeling the Alessandro is literally pumping sound into my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back