Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning]
Apr 12, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #2,071 of 2,483
Nico, I have a question for you..

You've always said that you held your MS Ultimate higher than a lot high-end contenders for the title 'favorite headphone'. I can imagine that.
But I'm interrested, have you heard the LCD-2 and/or HE-6? I'm curious about what you think of them in comparison to your MS Ultimate.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #2,072 of 2,483
Those new orthos are not part of the cans I've tried. Nobody in my vincinity has them, NoXter & me would have to make a 300 km trip to the next dealer, I can't be bothered.

But I guess they must be freaking good (especially the Audeze). As all other orthos I've heard were much more musical than the Jack-and-Joe dynamical can, I am quite convinced they beat the HD800 and T1 in that respect easely.

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #2,073 of 2,483
Ah that's a shame 

Yeah I figured they should be nicer than the top-tier dynamics. For me personally, I can't see it getting any better than a Alessandro with MS1000 mods and some of the Bilavideo SR60 mods. Well, I'll have to patiently wait till I have the funds then.. :)

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #2,075 of 2,483
In favour of what?

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #2,077 of 2,483

Quote:
You sold your K701s? I am this close to doing the same thing. :)

Yes, I sold it. I live in Suriname for 6 months, so I have no use for it now. It was fun while it lasted, but I grabbed my MS1000 99% of the time.
I need to plan the next buy especially well, because since a couple of weeks, I'm engaged. So I will put my savings into my wedding.

Why are you thinking about selling yours?

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #2,078 of 2,483
Quote:
In favour of what?

Not really in favour of anything. I am just getting tired of it. It does so many things extremely well, and with some filtering you can easily get rid of the nasty upper plastic-sounding peak, but there are a lot of moments I am listening to them and I want more out of them. I want a slightly thicker and more musical and emotional sound. More fun, with more bass, too. I miss a certain aspect of the music that is hard to describe. In the end I think these are just a tad too clinical for me.

I still do love the K701s for their soundstage, mids and resolution, though. So that is why I have a hard time giving them up. They are great for classical, though I could do with some more body and bass for some heavier stuff (classical included). Balanced from my Buffalo I can also hear the potential these have when balanced, but most balanced amps are just too expensive.

Should I sell it I can replace it with the modded yammie. I have not got a housing yet, but that should be no problem. I am thinking a stock DT990 Pro housing is perfect as it is open already. It won't have the soundstage of the K701, more of the DT880 kind from what I hear when I put the drivers+dt880 pads to my ears, but it will have a more emotional sound. It will sound thicker, too, and should be sounding transparent still.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #2,079 of 2,483
The 2nd spring of your K701 you announced last year obviously didn't last very long. I'm not a K701 fanboy either, I preferred my K271 in direct comparison, but I even sold these.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #2,080 of 2,483
Flipjack I have had MS Pro and heard Ultimate when I visiting friend. I can not help you unfortunatelly it is long time I had MS Pro and my equipment was different as well but I can tell you I miss them and want them back. 
I will get the most probably MS1000 it should be very very close to Ultimate according to master
biggrin.gif
 of this mod so I will able to compare them withm my LCD2 during a few month.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #2,081 of 2,483
Hi knopi, I remember your PM from a while back :)

MS1000 is definitely great. You'll love them. They are indeed _very_ close to the Ultimate. I love them with fast-paced guitar/drum-driven music. The MS1000 really gets you moving.

I am very interrested in your comparison!

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #2,082 of 2,483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipjack /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MS1000 is definitely great. You'll love them. They are indeed _very_ close to the Ultimate.

Tonality- and fun-wize they are almost twins. But resolution- and detail-wize, the MS1/MS1K is quite a step back.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #2,083 of 2,483

Quote:
Tonality- and fun-wize they are almost twins. But resolution- and detail-wize, the MS1/MS1K is quite a step back.

True, true. But you'll have to pay 6 times the price of a MS1000, which is quite a big price gap, considering the package one gets with a MS1000.

For casual listening (e.g. listening to music and browsing Head-Fi at the same time) the MS1000 is more than sufficient (in my opinion)

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #2,084 of 2,483
I fully agree. It's just that thought that comparing the cheap MS1K with an LCD2 is a bit unfair, the Ulti would be a more suitable contender...

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #2,085 of 2,483
True. But I'm more interrested in how they compare presentation-wize. There are enough reviews where is spoken about how great the mids are, how detailed they are, how great the bass is. So reading that again wouldn't add anything for me. I just want to know how they compare in soundstage, musicality, reproduction of e-guitars (do they carry energy like the MS1000 does), ability to get your feet moving, etc.. Those are the areas I want to read about. And I think the MS1000 is very suitable for that goal. The MS1000 makes you feel the music rather than hear it. I want to know if you can say such a thing about the LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back