AKG Q701 Review
Sep 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #167 of 248
post #23

i took some fotos of the inner foams of the Q701 and the K702, and some impressions..check it out.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #168 of 248
So I am debating getting the Q701 right now because I found a good deal through at the University of Minnesota, my boyfriend goes there, and it was going for $250.  This will be my first set of Cans so I am really wanting to get the best bang for my buck.  Unamped however they sounded terrible for portable applications.  Amped they were still somewhat quiet but maybe that is because of me only having IEM amps.....anyways the re-cable option is amazing for me because I want, actually need to because it only comes in 10 feet/12 feet stock, to get a new cable.  What recommendations for both portable and home amps do you guys have.  Like, could anyone recommend the top 3 portable amps for this and home amps?  Actually, the top 3 cost-friendly portables and home amps along with the top 3 portables where money isn't an option along with home amps.

Sorry, I am new to this site and was hoping someone could be like here:
Cost Efficient:
   Portable amps
   Home amps
Money isn't an option
   Portable amps
   Home amps

I know this all depends on my source which at home is a MacBook Pro with SSD or I use my WhipMOD/HiFiMan/S:Flo depending on my portable applications.
The only reason I asked for the money isn't an option is because I have access to top-tier cans: HD800 recabled balanced TWag with adapter, GS-1000 and Edition 8 (all my future hubby's lol)

Also, it seems like there is no sonic difference between the Q701/K701 right?  The only real difference is the re-cable I thought....anyways I am kind of a bass-head if that helps.  Can anyone help me with this recommendation, thanks!!!

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #169 of 248
If you are a bass head, I'm not sure the Q701s are the best choice... they have bass, but it is very tight, and definitely takes a back seat to other detail. 

Have you looked at the Ultrasone headphones? 

Regarding amps - I have very little experience. 

I'm using a Headroom Total Bithead for a portable, and it drives the K702 just fine (loads better than the headphone out on either the iPod or the MacBook Pro). I'll soon have a real comparison point with the Hifiman EF2A.  

Both fall in the Budget category. 

In the "money is no object" category, for portable, my wishlist has the Fostex HP-P1, and for home, just about everything Woo Audio makes. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #170 of 248
Thanks for the advice!

Yeah I know the Q701 lack somewhat on bass but it seemed to have great sub-bass when I hooked it up to my bf's home rig, but he has some insane 50k version lol. 

Can anyone tell me the real differences, sonic, between the Q701/K701/K702???

Also, the reason the Q701 is so appealing is because they are the flagship model which I am interested in with companies, Ultrasound's Edition 10's better whipe my behind for me for the price they are going for. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #171 of 248
Hey, another MN native, cool!  The Q's has slightly but distinctively harder punch with softer treble.  For me at least.  This was all on the Lyr.  Haven't tried the Edition 10's but majority of the impressions are that the company fugged up hard on that one.

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #172 of 248

Quote:
Hey, another MN native, cool!  The Q's has slightly but distinctively harder punch with softer treble.  For me at least.  This was all on the Lyr.  Haven't tried the Edition 10's but majority of the impressions are that the company fugged up hard on that one.

Aye - I've heard great things about the ED8's tho. And even the Pro 900s. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #173 of 248
Selling at amazon for $160 now (green model).

Just grabbed a pair. Gonna compare this against my DT990.

For those who have or have tried both the 990 and these, what are your impressions?

Just purchased the e7/e9 pair to power these. Hope it works out.

Thanks (from a long time lurker).

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #174 of 248
So I am finding that any of my RSA amps are driving the Q-701 amazing, the P-51??? Seriously,  I doubt the Fostex would b able to drive these that well as it has a non-stepped potentiometer.  I am wondering if the PB2 balanced mode will be a better option or the RSA SR71B, I am thinking the RSA will be the best I just do not want to fork up the extra cash.  Also, has anyone heard the L3 with this?  I am debating getting it, just seems overpriced for the aesthetic issues.  Wooden can be cool but it is not as polished or refined of a product as even the XM6 which I think could drive these too.....

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #175 of 248
Just some quick observations from some casual listener tests of the Q701's.  I bought these HP's purely as a curiosity because I'd heard so many conflicting reports on them.  I don't consider any of the information below to be particularly revelatory (similar conclusions can be found in Q701 reviews around the web) but I thought I'd add my voice to the chorus.

1. Your appreciation of these HP's will be completely dependent upon the type of music that you like to listen to.  I don't think that they're good "all around" HP's because they don't do every genre of music equally well.  They are particularly poor at rap/hip hop.  There are those who will say that that genre is overly bass dependent (and they might be right) but it is a particular kind of listening experience that people are used to and one that the Q701's just cannot replicate.  Even if you don't consider yourself a basshead, if you enjoy rap/hip hop you will NOT enjoy listening to it on these HP's.  I tried a number of amp setups and I just couldn't get the bass to an appropriate level.

2. These HP's WILL reveal poor recordings in your library.  If you have a bunch of marginal/low quality MP3 recordings you'll likely not enjoy them on these HPs

3. The Q701's COULD be good for gaming, but I would not recommend a purchase solely for that purpose.  At a $250+ point of entry there are many other HP's that could serve that need equal to (and in many cases better than) the Q701's at a lower price.

4. A proper amp is an absolute necessity.  The Fiio F9 works well with these HP's.  If you don't have a proper amp then do yourself a favor and skip these HP's because you will NOT get everything out of them that they have to give.

5. The comfort factor is good, but I find the ear cups a bit large for my taste. 

6. In the end I decided on the Sennheiser HD598's.  They were a better all around HP for me.

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #177 of 248
Hot damn, I paid almost $100 more.  For $160, I'd stomach the green color.

I love my Q701, by the way, they are worth every penny.  Nice bass.  I do enjoy hip hop out of these, because most of the time I'm looking for a nice pro-quality mix & master.  Sometimes I want more bass, but I have other headphones for that.  And sometimes I need a more forgiving headphone for my golden era hip hop, but again, this is not my only headphone.  I do love listening to everything on these though.

Quote:
Selling at amazon for $160 now (green model).
Just grabbed a pair. Gonna compare this against my DT990.
For those who have or have tried both the 990 and these, what are your impressions?
Just purchased the e7/e9 pair to power these. Hope it works out.
Thanks (from a long time lurker).

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #178 of 248

Quote:
Hot damn, I paid almost $100 more.  For $160, I'd stomach the green color.

I love my Q701, by the way, they are worth every penny.  Nice bass.  I do enjoy hip hop out of these, because most of the time I'm looking for a nice pro-quality mix & master.  Sometimes I want more bass, but I have other headphones for that.  And sometimes I need a more forgiving headphone for my golden era hip hop, but again, this is not my only headphone.  I do love listening to everything on these though. 

Not on MY Amazon.  Where?

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #180 of 248
Deal expired some time ago. Hoping for something similar to Electronics Expo's 40% off sometime near Christmas so I can snag these. Hopefully. Probably will only be run through a sound system or at the minimum, plugged into a TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back