AKG Q701 Review
Aug 26, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #151 of 248
Well I've had two K701's that had different amounts of burn in (one being over 500 hours and the other one was new) and they both sounded identical. None of my beyers needed it either nor did my PRODJ100 or even my PRO4AA. I'm not trying to get flamed but that's just my experience. I simply have not heard any burn in on all 40+ pairs I have owned.

I don't even believe in cable burn in. I can see how running a current/voltage through a cable will alter it's sound at all. 

It's odd because cables do make a difference for me and I normally can't listen to anything with the stock cable. 

Quote:
You probably just haven't had any headphones that required it to sound good. I've only had maybe two dozen pairs and with that many only 3 have required any sort of burn-in to sound good. One was a KRK KNS-8400 that had absolutely painful treble out of the box and two Koss DJ100s sounded like garbage out of the box. It's real sad that this occurs. I could only tell the differences because I had two pairs of DJ100 at the time and know exactly what they should sound like. Second pair needed 3 days to sound like the first and the 3rd needed FIVE! I think the Koss Pro4AAT is another that needs a ton of burn in. Perhaps it gets rid of that muffled sound out of the box. Or maybe not? DJ100 without burn-in sounds very muffled. It's crystal clear IMO when well burned in. I don't know how Koss did it, but one of my pairs actually made me think I had a defect. No joke. Others have reported similar things.

I tried to burn in my K702 for 300 hours, but it didn't make much different for the treble on my pair. I wish it did.

I think you may be the first person here who believes in cables, but not burn-in
biggrin.gif
. My opinion is that 95% of headphones don't need any burn-in. If they sound good out of the box I usually don't bother burning them in unless it's on my head!

I've never had a Sennheiser (yet) that needed burn-in. I imagine these are burned-in at the factory. I have no idea..

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #153 of 248

That's understandable. I wasn't trying to say you're wrong, just point out my experience. I'm not a huge believer of burn-in, but I do think it does help with some specific headphones. It kind of makes me sick to hear of suggestions to burn in a $70 headphone for 300 hours just to really experience what they're supposed to sound like. If it doesn't sound decent enough out of the box or after a few days of burn in..forget it!

In the past I always believed cables didn't make a difference and went by what everyone else said. I tried to find out for myself and came to the conclusion that ALL wire sounds different! I don't think I have golden ears, but there was always a difference. I'll never know why or if it's just the thickness of the cable or what.

One reason I think this is that I've had cables totally ruin a headphones signature...and they say cables shouldn't sound like anything?! My HD-598 only seems to do well with Mogami since it's fairly neutral. It pretty awful with Canare and Belden. I wonder why this is..Then recently I found out that the HD-668B seems to sound best with Belden wire and not Canare. Are my ears playing tricks on me? Don't think that's possible.

I'm still not convinced that $80+ wire is really better than $1/foot Mogami. Only because I haven't tried any, but maybe someday I'll be convinced that DH, Cardas and whatever else is actually worth it. Who knows. If I ever did buy any fancy wire it would be in bulk. I think sometime I'll try the Double Helix wire only because it's supposed to be fairly neutral, but this may vary between pairs. Who knows. I'd love to recable my K501 sometime, but I don't want a wire to change it's signature too much.

Sorry, all this is off topic a bit..oops

Another thing...stock cables remind me of those cheap 25 cent RCA cables they includes with DVD players. Seriously I bet they're made to be as cheap as possible. I have a feeling AKG stock cables are decent, but the HD-598 stock cable is quite bad. I didn't realize this until comparing it to something else. I try to recable everything when I can, but sometimes I just keep what's installed because recabling for single sided entry is often a pain. Even my KSC75 benefits from a cheap cable upgrade
normal_smile%20.gif

I kind of find it a bit strange how I can't tell the difference between speaker cables, but with headphone cables, it's fairly easy?
Quote:
Well I've had two K701's that had different amounts of burn in (one being over 500 hours and the other one was new) and they both sounded identical. None of my beyers needed it either nor did my PRODJ100 or even my PRO4AA. I'm not trying to get flamed but that's just my experience. I simply have not heard any burn in on all 40+ pairs I have owned.

I don't even believe in cable burn in. I can see how running a current/voltage through a cable will alter it's sound at all. 

It's odd because cables do make a difference for me and I normally can't listen to anything with the stock cable. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #154 of 248
Don't believe in burn in? try buying a pair of bose in ears. I did to give as a gift to the girlfrind to go running in. The burn in was down right hilarious. I wasnt a huge believer until those, either. After about two hours of listening (and being extremely disappointed in the sound,) I quit. I came back an hour or so after, and put them again. The right ear sounded better than the left. I was shocked. the image was so lop-sided it was unlistenable. I left 'em running some Miles Davis for another few hours. Slowly but surely, the left war sarted sounding more and more full. Burn-in is real. end of story. Didnt take the hundreds of hours that some claim...but the first thirty hours or so were a big change. Speaking of story: this one has a happy ending. The girlfriend loves her new headphones. Very Bose, very comfortable, and well burned in.

On topic, I bought some GREEN (thats right! Flame away haters!) Quincy's this last weekend. I live in them, now. I love them. Would die for them! ok, too dramatic. But... problems. From the home theater receiver, they sound like hell. From the laptop. tinny and with no low end. Same for every other sound source- but add a good headphone amplifier, and WOW! man, they are incredible when properly driven. And they get fuller and fuller every time I listen to them. (I leave them running while I am at work. The cat seems to be enjoying this, too!)  I am officially a member of the AKG cult of headphone enlightenment. The point is, I have a theory about the naysayers of burn in. I dont think a lot of these guys are properly driving these headphones... thoughts? I mean, the results are just too obvious when I listen to them. And I have others that I am sharing the burn in on my new headphones that have no stake in the outcome. One even hates them becasue they are GREEN! But they all agree that these cans are sounding better and better every minute. I cant wait until they settle down to their full potential. Honestly, I dont know how they could get any better.

Moral of the story: Give your cans some love and drive them with a substantial amp, and they will love you back. -QED

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #155 of 248
Quote:

I'm getting suspicious to the whole ritual and am thinking everyone just blows it out of proportion.

You'd be absolutely amazed at how well the placebo works, and at how great our minds can trick us...

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #156 of 248
"On topic, I bought some GREEN (thats right! Flame away haters!) Quincy's this last weekend."

Thanks for the green love.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #160 of 248
Aug 29, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #162 of 248

Users who are viewing this thread

Back