AKG Q701 Review
Aug 21, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #136 of 248

Quote:
Edit, nevermind.

"I wonder if the buttons on the Q701 are removable?"

You wouldn't remove the Q, would you?  Gasp.

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #138 of 248
I saw the "smoother treble and more bass" in an add for AKG Q702's in a Musicians Friend magazine a few months back. It was stated that they were tuned to QJ's own tastes and are smoother and have more bass than the other models.

I thought the Q701 was more expensive before but now they are cheaper. If anyone is looking to get a K701/K702 variant, get the black Q701. at $244 it's a darned good rice.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'd still like to hear it,don't know why. I don't remember if AKG actually said anything about it having smoother treble or more bass.Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I think maybe hinted at it, but then people just seemed to spread this around. The Headroom graph and their description didn't help! Of course they said it "perhaps" added some bass and smoothed it's treble. These days I don't know what to believe. I really didn't want to believe it was all marketing until I saw that it uses the same driver as the K701.

People lately have told me the Q701 is cheaper than the K702 or K701, so I'm guessing the Q701 is the way to go if this is the case. I do love the white color of the K701 though and it's pads. When I bought my K702 the K701 was so expensive! Last I checked the Q701 was $244 on Amazon.

I really need to hear a recabled K702. Directly to the driver and not using the stock XLR plug which makes cable upgrades pointless kind of IMO. Hopefully the K702 is as easy to recable as the Sextett and K240 Studio.

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #139 of 248
Quote:
I saw the "smoother treble and more bass" in an add for AKG Q702's in a Musicians Friend magazine a few months back. It was stated that they were tuned to QJ's own tastes and are smoother and have more bass than the other models.

I thought the Q701 was more expensive before but now they are cheaper. If anyone is looking to get a K701/K702 variant, get the black Q701. at $244 it's a darned good rice.

Hey, so when will the T70 be added to your guide?
wink.gif

That's what it said on Headroom also, and I'm guessing they got that from the same source, which of course would be AKG themselves. But yes, I got my black one for $244, and well, everyone already knows how much I love the looks of them... XD

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #140 of 248
It will be added to my guide when I have the funds to purchase one 
wink_face.gif
. I could always see if beyer is willing to send me a pair to review but I doubt it. We'll see though.

Yeah that statement about the bass and treble is total BS guys, don't buy into it. I know I have more than enough juice on hand to amp them so don't say they are underamped because if anything I have too much power for them here. My K702 was modded to take a mini 4-pin XLR so I do use them balanced (enough power) but for a comparison I used a cable with a 1/4" termination,

Quote:
Hey, so when will the T70 be added to your guide?
wink.gif

That's what it said on Headroom also, and I'm guessing they got that from the same source, which of course would be AKG themselves. But yes, I got my black one for $244, and well, everyone already knows how much I love the looks of them... XD

Aug 22, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #141 of 248
I had a pair of K702's with well over 500 hrs and the Q701's with over 150hrs and the Q701's had noticeably more impact without that nasty sibilance on some tracks that the K702's did.  They were both pretty dry though, ended up selling them both anyway.

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #142 of 248
I heard something interesting, tell me Q701 owners, on the sides where the "Q" is located... is there some kind of foam under this grill?
If so... wouldn't this make the Q701 semi-open compared to the ~fully open K701?

This would explain most comments (bass, body, tremble), because this seems to be the only thing they changed from K to Q... except the silly colors :p

So tell me, is there foam?

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #143 of 248

Quote:
This would explain most comments (bass, body, tremble)

If you are experiencing 'tremble' upon hearing the Q701, I'd suggest that you might be happier with another headphone. I enjoy the odd shiver of anticipation, but tremble might be a bridge too far  :wink:

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #145 of 248
back to topic:
is there some kind of felt .etc behind the grill where the Q is located?

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #146 of 248
I dunno about the rest of you peeps but I gots to have me some o' dat "tremble".  
biggrin.gif
  Where it stay?

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #147 of 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Q701 perhaps sounding a tiny bit less airy due to the QJ button on the back of the driver housing but no where was there the smoother highs or more bass that AKG talked about. 

Well, all the 7 series sounds in the beginning tiny and less airy. I hope they will improve with the born in, like all the 7 series do. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #148 of 248
Burn in huh? Sorry but I don't believe in it. I tried to believe it but there was never a difference. Too bad though as I like the idea of a headphone sounding better when used for X amount of hours but sadly it isn't true.

Quote:
Well, all the 7 series sounds in the beginning tiny and less airy. I hope they will improve with the born in, like all the 7 series do. 

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #149 of 248

Quote:
Burn in huh? Sorry but I don't believe in it. I tried to believe it but there was never a difference. Too bad though as I like the idea of a headphone sounding better when used for X amount of hours but sadly it isn't true.

You probably just haven't had any headphones that required it to sound good. I've only had maybe two dozen pairs and with that many only 3 have required any sort of burn-in to sound good. One was a KRK KNS-8400 that had absolutely painful treble out of the box and two Koss DJ100s sounded like garbage out of the box. It's real sad that this occurs. I could only tell the differences because I had two pairs of DJ100 at the time and know exactly what they should sound like. Second pair needed 3 days to sound like the first and the 3rd needed FIVE! I think the Koss Pro4AAT is another that needs a ton of burn in. Perhaps it gets rid of that muffled sound out of the box. Or maybe not? DJ100 without burn-in sounds very muffled. It's crystal clear IMO when well burned in. I don't know how Koss did it, but one of my pairs actually made me think I had a defect. No joke. Others have reported similar things.

I tried to burn in my K702 for 300 hours, but it didn't make much different for the treble on my pair. I wish it did.

I think you may be the first person here who believes in cables, but not burn-in
biggrin.gif
. My opinion is that 95% of headphones don't need any burn-in. If they sound good out of the box I usually don't bother burning them in unless it's on my head!

I've never had a Sennheiser (yet) that needed burn-in. I imagine these are burned-in at the factory. I have no idea..

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #150 of 248

Quote:

Well...sorry to hear the burn in didn't worked for you so far , in my experience even my Mogami cable needed 2-to-5 hours of burn in. For me the first big chance in the burn in process was at 80, 150, 250, hours, half of the way will be at 150, and this what I'll recommend .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back