AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Oct 14, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #3,061 of 3,394
You said you're limited to $50-$100, which is already below the E12. If portability isn't a requirement, the Magni and E9K would both be a better choice. The E9K having more inputs (assuming you pair it up with an E17 or E07k to make it it's dac, leaving the rear input open for something else).

Audio-GD makes fantastic amp/dacs in the $250-500 range, from the NFB 11.32, to the 15.32, Compass 2...

At $250, the Schiit Asgard 2 would be a solid amp.

I wish Audio-GD would bring back the NFB-5 variants... I loved that amp/dac.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #3,064 of 3,394
Does anybody else have the K702 65th Anniversary Edition made in China or I am the only lucky one? 

Just got them from one of Amazon sellers and gonna return this piece of crap right away. Are all AKG headphones made in China nowadays? These were advertised as hand-crated and individually tested in Vienna, Austria, but this turned out to be done in China now. This is ridiculous! Why the hell they still cost so much? I paid almost $500 for them! I still have made-in-Austria K100 and K400 bought around 10 years ago. The first ones cost me as litte as 50 bucks back then and apart from the design they are not any worse than this overpriced Chinese junk. The sound quality and materials of K100 are even better. Not to mention the K400. Somehow they managed to make even the cheapest models properly 10 years ago. Extremely disappointed with these new headphones. Going this way, I guess in 10 years their headphones are gonna be designed and engineered in China, not just assembled there. Good luck.

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #3,065 of 3,394
  Does anybody else have the K702 65th Anniversary Edition made in China or I am the only lucky one? 

Just got them from one of Amazon sellers and gonna return this piece of crap right away. Are all AKG headphones made in China nowadays? These were advertised as hand-crated and individually tested in Vienna, Austria, but this turned out to be done in China now. This is ridiculous! Why the hell they still cost so much? I paid almost $500 for them! I still have made-in-Austria K100 and K400 bought around 10 years ago. The first ones cost me as litte as 50 bucks back then and apart from the design they are not any worse than this overpriced Chinese junk. The sound quality and materials of K100 are even better. Not to mention the K400. Somehow they managed to make even the cheapest models properly 10 years ago. Extremely disappointed with these new headphones. Going this way, I guess in 10 years their headphones are gonna be designed and engineered in China, not just assembled there. Good luck.

You got ripped off. Amazon sellers aren't authorized dealers (usually). Amazon ITSELF is, but anyone can sell through amazon.
If its made in China, I'd say its definitely a fake...

You can get em for $400 here: http://www.razordogaudio.com/products/akg-k702-65th-anniversary-limited-edition-headphone
The entire site has a $100 instant off $399+ using the code at the bottom. I got mine there.

Oct 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #3,066 of 3,394
Mine says made in Austria on the outer cup where yours say made in china, not sure what's going on there.

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #3,067 of 3,394
You can contact AKG to make sure they didn't move production of these to China.

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #3,068 of 3,394
AFAIK the only AKGs made in Austria now are the K712 Pro and upcoming K812.  So I doubt it's fake.  You can contact AKG to be sure.  I'm a little surprised to see the Anniversary edition showing up there though.  I thought their production would run out before that happened, and they seem a little less "Special Edition" when not being made in Austria.  Maybe AKG decided they weren't so "limited edition" after all, and decided to keep making them as long as people buy them.  Regardless of where they were made, if you payed nearly 500 I think you overpayed a bit considering most people get them for <375.

I'm surprised at how negative your reaction is to a headphone made in China though.  Chinese production has gotten much better over the years, and assembling these headphones isn't rocket-science.  It's just people snapping together pieces, aka hand-assembled - not really "hand-crafted".  If you absolutely must have a made in Austria headphone, I'd say get the K712 but you can probably expect the same "piece of crap" build and sound quality that you have with those Anniversaries.

Oct 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #3,069 of 3,394
Exactly. Look at Hifiman. All Chinese, and highly praised.

I doubt it's any different than the ones made in Austria. As long as the specs remain the same, I doubt it makes the Annie any worse. People just have to get over this nonsense prejudice over thngs made in China. As long as you bought it from a legitimate seller, i wouldn't have any worries.

In either case, the K70x line isn't exactly cost effective to produce and fake. It's a complex design. It'd be pretty easy to tell if it's a fake. That one looks just as good as an Austrian Annie.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #3,070 of 3,394
Well in this case I'd be quite angry if mine were made in china, since it says on the box, as a feature, that it was "handcrafted" in Austria.

Also, his set quite possible could have crap build quality if its a fake.

Oct 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #3,071 of 3,394
Just like what MLE says to contact AKG. If AKG says its one of there's then I wouldn't worry and enjoy them.

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #3,072 of 3,394

You got ripped off. Amazon sellers aren't authorized dealers (usually). Amazon ITSELF is, but anyone can sell through amazon.
If its made in China, I'd say its definitely a fake...

You can get em for $400 here: http://www.razordogaudio.com/products/akg-k702-65th-anniversary-limited-edition-headphone
The entire site has a $100 instant off $399+ using the code at the bottom. I got mine there.

I just bought a pair this week from razordogaudio with the $100 coupon, mine say "Made in Austria".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back