AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Oct 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #3,091 of 3,395
AKG support didin't even bother to reply, I've sent the headphones for money-back, but I'm completely sure they were not fake - I believe AKG just gave all their drafts/specs to their Chinese contractor and they've doing all the job since then while the original company is responsible only for marketing. I didn't find any info of AKG having its own factory in China, so they just use random contractors. Today they are making hand-crafted in China with "highest" attention to detail headphones for them, tomorrow they say goodbye to AKG and start producing and selling their own headphones-clones like "Superlux" and such as they never learn. Another confirmation that they have no any control over their contractors (despite their words) I've just found is that you can order basically any model including those Anniversaries (I don't see only the newest K712 and K812, but I'm sure it's just a question of time) at Chinese sites like Alibaba, but I can't find any vintage AKG models which were made only in Austria (Kx00, K240, K270 etc.) and anything from other manufacturers who still don't make their headphones there as it's obviously too difficult to make high-quality copies (at least not just looking so) of such things without all original drafts and tech details.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #3,092 of 3,395
Another confirmation that they have no any control over their contractors (despite their words) I've just found is that you can order basically any model including those Anniversaries (I don't see only the newest K712 and K812, but I'm sure it's just a question of time) at Chinese sites like Alibaba,

Got any links? I couldn't find any in some searching

Oct 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #3,094 of 3,395
And the plot thickens...

Wonder whats going on with AKG/Harman these days.

So it seems like even if the units made in china are "real" they are not authorized by AKG?
I wonder if AKG was dumb enough to give their Chinese manufacturing partners complete access to their product design databases when they moved K701/702 production to China.
EDIT: So yea, I still believe that AKG themselves would not be dumb enough to go and knowingly manufacture these Annies in China.

Oh and my bad for calling you a troll. Too much internet paranoia in me.

EDIT2: Loll... that Alibaba listing has some interesting commentary within the specs and features listings:
 "Revolutionary" flat-wire voice coil. (I thought flat wire coils have been around for decades.)

The cable is removable for repair. I don't know of anyone who wastes money on fancy wire; if you want better sound, buy better headphones. The headphone-end connector looks like a light-duty mini XLR, but I could be wrong.

Sive 1V makes 16mW into 62Ohms. 1mW of input ought to return 93dB SPL, which is how most headphones are rated and which confirms that these are very insensitive headphones

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #3,095 of 3,395

Got any links? I couldn't find any in some searching

https://www.google.com/#q=site:alibaba.com+akg
e.g.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1271695649/AKG_K_702_ANNIVERSARY_Professional_Reference.html

Huh! thanks!  I think I was searching for K701 and that's why it didn't who up. Anyone get a price quote? 

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #3,096 of 3,395
  And the plot thickens...

Wonder whats going on with AKG/Harman these days.

So it seems like even if the units made in china are "real" they are not authorized by AKG?
I wonder if AKG was dumb enough to give their Chinese manufacturing partners complete access to their product design databases when they moved K701/702 production to China.
EDIT: So yea, I still believe that AKG themselves would not be dumb enough to go and knowingly manufacture these Annies in China.

Oh and my bad for calling you a troll. Too much internet paranoia in me.

EDIT2: Loll... that Alibaba listing has some interesting commentary within the specs and features listings:

This could be possible.  Though I would think like you said, it's either a photoshop or counterfeit.  I can't imagine that AKG would proudly proclaim Chinese manufacture of a limited edition headphone in the same area where made in Austria was.  Here is a post from earlier in the thread of the newer K702 standard, made in china:
  The newer AKG K702 "bumpless" edition are now made in China .

In the headband there is a little sticker "made in PRC" , and no more the print "Made in Austria" on the cup .

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #3,098 of 3,395
LOL why is the Annie 8-38900 hz and the K712 is "ONLY" 10-38900hz.

The Annie obviously has a TONS of extra bass! If I got the K712 i'd feel cheated! My other headphone goes down to 1hz so it's much better.

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #3,099 of 3,395
The Anniversary is only 8 hz? 

LOL.  Pathetic!

AD700 has them all beat going down to 5 hz.  If you want epic sub bass, the choice is obviously AD700.  
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #3,100 of 3,395
  The Anniversary is only 8 hz? 

LOL.  Pathetic!

AD700 has them all beat going down to 5 hz.  If you want epic sub bass, the choice is obviously AD700.  
evil_smiley.gif

Yeah AKG is really going downhill...

The AD700 is really too dark for me and when I wear it I feel like my head is in a vise. Soundstage is a bit too closed in and not very airy at all.
I think it's is just all that bloated bass and excessive warmth!

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #3,101 of 3,395
I don't know how you guys know if it's photoshopped, I look at it and can't tell the difference.

Yeah the subbass is the reason I sold the ad700 right away, I couldn't handle it. :veryevil:

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #3,102 of 3,395
I don't know how you guys know if it's photoshopped, I look at it and can't tell the difference.

Well it's the same original photo on both from the same pair of headphones.  Therefore one of the images has been shopped.

Here's both photos aligned at the same angle:

Oct 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #3,103 of 3,395
Ah, I'm so slow. Ok these speculation over the 65th is a done deal. We can move on now.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #3,104 of 3,395
Wow, the shop job. Whomever did that to start some crap here deserves to be banned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back