AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Oct 22, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #3,106 of 3,395
  I suspected him to be trolling too, but then he posted that Alibaba link which was interesting... anyone else take a look at that?

He's clearly trolling. 
I'm not sure why we're even discussing it after he posted a shopped photo.  He's been caught red handed.

His first post clearly sound trollish right off the bat, bashing the "piece of crap" quality of the Anniversaries.  Then he's off to making accusations that AKG "gave all their drafts/specs to their Chinese contractors".   Why the hell would AKG just give away their internal designs to "random contractors".  Why would ANY manufacturer of ANYTHING do that?  It's completely absurd, and I'm really surprised that anyone on this forum bought into it. 
blink.gif

You think him mentioning a site like Alibaba supports his claims?
 "Another confirmation that they have no any control over their contractors (despite their words) I've just found is that you can order basically any model including those Anniversaries (I don't see only the newest K712 and K812, but I'm sure it's just a question of time) at Chinese sites like Alibaba"

Do some reading:
http://andrewminalto.com/alibaba-scam-exposed/
http://under30ceo.com/7-ways-to-get-scammed-on-alibaba/

"...let me quickly remind you that you cannot get any kind of branded items wholesale from mainland China.. I’m talking about electronics, DVDs, software, designer clothing, shoes and similar items. If you’re looking for anything branded, China is NOT the place to look as you’ll only receive fakes or get scammed."

As has already been mentioned, high-end headphones are rarely faked.  There are much easier headphones to fake, like Beats.  Your much more likely to simply get scammed than to receive a faked high end headphone.  The reason his Anniversary photo looks so authentic is because it's flipping PHOTOSHOPPED. 

IMO this case is closed. Maybe some banning is in order as well... [i]Hint hint[/i]

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #3,108 of 3,395
  Antuan5's post IS a troll/joke, that image is definitely photoshopped. Here's the original (or at least a copy of it):

http://www.gearnuts.com/images/items/1800/K70265-xlarge.jpg

Oh, and hi to everyone by the way, I'm new here :)

My Annies are made in Finland, or at least sold there :wink: Got my pair back in June, serial number 000123. I don't have much to compare them to, but they are clearly more balanced than my old K271 MK1s (also made in Austria btw). The K271s are ever so slightly more comfortable though, could be the worn-in factor.

One thing that strikes me about the Annies is that they are fairly forgiving, in terms of allowing you to listen to more sibilant recordings without cringing. The downside is I feel they could sometimes use a bit more air to the tone. The soundstage feels kind of tight, perhaps I was expecting a bit more openness. Overall I'm happy with them though.

Anyone who has some good suggestions for portable headphone amps to go with the Annies? Price-wise we're looking at less than 200€.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #3,109 of 3,395

Oh, and hi to everyone by the way, I'm new here :)

Anyone who has some good suggestions for portable headphone amps to go with the Annies? Price-wise we're looking at less than 200€.

Hi! 

And thanks for the heads-up on that shopped image.  I didn't really think about it being shopped at first, because who in their right mind would go out of their way just to photoshop something like that so they could then use it as ammo to start trolling a specific thread like this.  I didn't think anyone would have wasted their time doing that.  It's just flat out weird. 
blink.gif

Anyways, the FiiO E12 is a popular choice for a powerful and affordable portable amp.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #3,110 of 3,395
  Anyways, the FiiO E12 is a popular choice for a powerful and affordable portable amp.

E18 should also be on your list. Especially so if you have android devices.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #3,111 of 3,395

...the FiiO E12 is a popular choice for a powerful and affordable portable amp.

E18 should also be on your list. Especially so if you have android devices.

Thanks, I'll have a look at these. I used to use a FiiO E1 with my IPod back in the day, but haven't really followed up on recent developments.

For PC listening, I'm currently using my RME BabyFace external soundcard but of course that's not a mobile solution (as in working with phones and mobile players). I find the BabyFace easily provides enough juice to drive the Annies, but do you think using the E18 as a DAC + headphone amp with the PC would produce better quality?

I don't own an Android device (at least not yet), so presumably the E18 wouldn't currently provide that much added value over the E12 for me unless it's clearly better than the BabyFace with the PC? Of course it would also be more flexible for future use.

Oct 23, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #3,112 of 3,395
  I don't own an Android device (at least not yet), so presumably the E18 wouldn't currently provide that much added value over the E12 for me unless it's clearly better than the BabyFace with the PC? Of course it would also be more flexible for future use.

E18 is the successor to the popular E17 portable DAC amp. E17 had built in EQ for treble and bass as well as different gain settings. Unfortunately, it also had some battery problems and it lacked android support. E18 should have these faults fixed + you can use it as a backup battery for your mobile phone. I think it also has some improved hardware chips. If you want both portability and versatility from your dac-amp combo (not sure if you need dac-amp or amp only) E18 seems like a very nice option. It's also in your price range.

See this for more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628254/fiio-e18/210#post_9842995

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #3,113 of 3,395

E18 is the successor to the popular E17 portable DAC amp. E17 had built in EQ for treble and bass as well as different gain settings. Unfortunately, it also had some battery problems and it lacked android support. E18 should have these faults fixed + you can use it as a backup battery for your mobile phone. I think it also has some improved hardware chips. If you want both portability and versatility from your dac-amp combo (not sure if you need dac-amp or amp only) E18 seems like a very nice option. It's also in your price range.

See this for more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/628254/fiio-e18/210#post_9842995

Thanks for the info and link!

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #3,114 of 3,395
Hi!

I still need an amp for my annies, I'm thinking about the e17 or the e18.  

Do you all think I should wait till the e18 becomes available?  That would mean almost a whole month before I can try these cans with an amp.  Or is there something that makes sense to pair with the e18/17 later as a duo (dac or something --- I don't really understand how that works though).

Also, any recommendations for a closed can 200-500 range, accurate with slightly boosted base (if anything)?  I am still looking for a closed accompaniment to these annies, and I've been considering the Shure SRH840, Beyerdynamic dt 700 80 ohm (but worried might be too baseeey), Etymotic 4rpt (with pt-s cable), or maybe the new Shure SRH 1540 --- but it would be better if I could keep the whole thing around 2-300 rather than $500.  However, sounds like the new 1540s might be exactly what I'm looking for. 

I want to use these for listening in public, sound mixing (using speakers and open cans for final mix), and recording sounds out in the world (so portability without needing an amp is a plus.)

Any thoughts?  Votes?  I guess we like similar cans, appreciating the annies... 

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #3,117 of 3,395
Hmm... interesting question.  

I will sometimes use them for mixing when I am not at home, but can't get access to a room with speakers.  Also, I would like to use them with my 'portable' devices (ipad, etc.), so having portability even around my house might be helpful. 

However, what argument would you make for a non portable amp, and which would you recommend?  Until I have another good closed can, these are my only option for use anywhere though, so I'm also trying to consider that.  Furthermore, something like a beyerdynamic dt770 would be fine to use in public, but would be best with a portable amp - so it might make sense to go portable for the sake of my second set, assuming it might benefit from an amp.

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #3,119 of 3,395
  Do you all think I should wait till the e18 becomes available?  That would mean almost a whole month before I can try these cans with an amp.  Or is there something that makes sense to pair with the e18/17 later as a duo (dac or something --- I don't really understand how that works though).

E17 and E18 has built in DAC. If you don't really need any portable devices, check the link in my signature to learn more about Aune T1. T1 is an affordable high price over performance tube DAC SS amp. You can of course get DAC and amp separately, but that usually costs more than the dac-amp combos (especially in your price range). T1 fits your budget and has very nice synergy with annies (amp is on the natural / slightly bright side. I wouldn't recommend too dark sounding amp for the annies). What comes to FiiO products I'd wait for the E18. This is mainly because of the battery issues (E17 sometimes powers off and you have to reset it which also resets all your settings).

To test amplification you could always visit some of your local hifi stores.

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #3,120 of 3,395
Hi Salvatore - 

Thanks for that great reply, it's really helpful!  I'm not sure of the best place to test cans and amps in LA, but I'll try to figure that one out.  

Thanks again for the great answer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back