Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition - Page 207

post #3091 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanpandaChan View Post
 

 

On the other hand, I think what I wrote clearly shows that his pair is not real.

 

What makes you think it is real? Because the old K702/701s are being made in china now?

But the 702-65s are more similar to the 712s. And, again, being made in austria is listed as a feature.

 

So I would say that it is, without a doubt, a fake. :P

 

 

I understand you are sure, I'm just surprised you came to such a solid conclusion without any really good evidence to base this on. The K701 and K702 production lines have moved to China, so it's not shocking a variant of the K702 is made in China. The literature about being "hand made in Austria blah blah" is a stupid marketing ploy (which apparently works, because everyone panics if they're headphones aren't made in Austria). That literature was put out when the headphones were initially produced and at that time they were. 

 

No high end headphone has ever been counterfeit. Every accusation ever on headphone about fake headphones has been unfounded later. 

 

I just purchased a pair of K701 directly from Amazon. The sticker says "Made in China (PRC)". These sound nearly identical to the Q701 I have on hand. 

post #3092 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

I understand you are sure, I'm just surprised you came to such a solid conclusion without any really good evidence to base this on. The K701 and K702 production lines have moved to China, so it's not shocking a variant of the K702 is made in China. The literature about being "hand made in Austria blah blah" is a stupid marketing ploy (which apparently works, because everyone panics if they're headphones aren't made in Austria). That literature was put out when the headphones were initially produced and at that time they were. 

 

No high end headphone has ever been counterfeit. Every accusation ever on headphone about fake headphones has been unfounded later. 

 

I just purchased a pair of K701 directly from Amazon. The sticker says "Made in China (PRC)". These sound nearly identical to the Q701 I have on hand. 

 

I dont doubt the K701s and K702s being made in China.

But to move the production line of a LIMITED EDITION headphone that is marketed as being made in Austria, to China, seems too preposterous.

Why would AKG go through the trouble of moving the production line of something that they're only going to make limited quantities of?

Especially when, by now, all the ones to be produced are probably already produced and sitting somewhere.

 

Yes, being "hand made in Austria blah blah" is a stupid marketing ploy, but when you write that, and then actually make it in China, that marketing ploy becomes a lie. I'm not debating the quality of crap made in austria or wherever vs china. I'm saying it would be stupid for AKG to move production of the Annies to China, and thus I can conclude either of the following:

1. Those headphones the guy received is fake.

or

2. The guy is just a bored ****** and decided to stir up drama.

post #3093 of 3252

Well, I have the 702/65 and 712, but yesterday while browsing at HMV, I found a Q701 in black liquidated at 100$. Needless to say, it was an impulse buy. I'm surprised they even had that headphone in the first place.

 

I'm not sure if I will open it to compare with the newer revisions though, but I'm awfully tempted to do so.

post #3094 of 3252
AKG support didin't even bother to reply, I've sent the headphones for money-back, but I'm completely sure they were not fake - I believe AKG just gave all their drafts/specs to their Chinese contractor and they've doing all the job since then while the original company is responsible only for marketing. I didn't find any info of AKG having its own factory in China, so they just use random contractors. Today they are making hand-crafted in China with "highest" attention to detail headphones for them, tomorrow they say goodbye to AKG and start producing and selling their own headphones-clones like "Superlux" and such as they never learn. Another confirmation that they have no any control over their contractors (despite their words) I've just found is that you can order basically any model including those Anniversaries (I don't see only the newest K712 and K812, but I'm sure it's just a question of time) at Chinese sites like Alibaba, but I can't find any vintage AKG models which were made only in Austria (Kx00, K240, K270 etc.) and anything from other manufacturers who still don't make their headphones there as it's obviously too difficult to make high-quality copies (at least not just looking so) of such things without all original drafts and tech details.
Edited by Antuan5 - 10/20/13 at 2:28pm
post #3095 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antuan5 View Post

Another confirmation that they have no any control over their contractors (despite their words) I've just found is that you can order basically any model including those Anniversaries (I don't see only the newest K712 and K812, but I'm sure it's just a question of time) at Chinese sites like Alibaba,

 

Got any links? I couldn't find any in some searching

post #3096 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

Got any links? I couldn't find any in some searching


https://www.google.com/#q=site:alibaba.com+akg

e.g.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1271695649/AKG_K_702_ANNIVERSARY_Professional_Reference.html

post #3097 of 3252

And the plot thickens...

 

Wonder whats going on with AKG/Harman these days.

 

So it seems like even if the units made in china are "real" they are not authorized by AKG?

I wonder if AKG was dumb enough to give their Chinese manufacturing partners complete access to their product design databases when they moved K701/702 production to China.

EDIT: So yea, I still believe that AKG themselves would not be dumb enough to go and knowingly manufacture these Annies in China.

 

Oh and my bad for calling you a troll. Too much internet paranoia in me.

 

EDIT2: Loll... that Alibaba listing has some interesting commentary within the specs and features listings:

Quote:
 "Revolutionary" flat-wire voice coil. (I thought flat wire coils have been around for decades.)
Quote:
 The cable is removable for repair. I don't know of anyone who wastes money on fancy wire; if you want better sound, buy better headphones. The headphone-end connector looks like a light-duty mini XLR, but I could be wrong.
Quote:
 Sive 1V makes 16mW into 62Ohms. 1mW of input ought to return 93dB SPL, which is how most headphones are rated and which confirms that these are very insensitive headphones

Edited by PanpandaChan - 10/20/13 at 4:04pm
post #3098 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antuan5 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

 

Got any links? I couldn't find any in some searching


https://www.google.com/#q=site:alibaba.com+akg

e.g.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1271695649/AKG_K_702_ANNIVERSARY_Professional_Reference.html

 

Huh! thanks!  I think I was searching for K701 and that's why it didn't who up. Anyone get a price quote? 

post #3099 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanpandaChan View Post
 

And the plot thickens...

 

Wonder whats going on with AKG/Harman these days.

 

So it seems like even if the units made in china are "real" they are not authorized by AKG?

I wonder if AKG was dumb enough to give their Chinese manufacturing partners complete access to their product design databases when they moved K701/702 production to China.

EDIT: So yea, I still believe that AKG themselves would not be dumb enough to go and knowingly manufacture these Annies in China.

 

Oh and my bad for calling you a troll. Too much internet paranoia in me.

 

EDIT2: Loll... that Alibaba listing has some interesting commentary within the specs and features listings:

This could be possible.  Though I would think like you said, it's either a photoshop or counterfeit.  I can't imagine that AKG would proudly proclaim Chinese manufacture of a limited edition headphone in the same area where made in Austria was.  Here is a post from earlier in the thread of the newer K702 standard, made in china:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoC-28 View Post
 

The newer AKG K702 "bumpless" edition are now made in China .

 

 

 

In the headband there is a little sticker "made in PRC" , and no more the print "Made in Austria" on the cup .

post #3100 of 3252

Antuan5's post IS a troll/joke, that image is definitely photoshopped. Here's the original (or at least a copy of it):

 

http://www.gearnuts.com/images/items/1800/K70265-xlarge.jpg

post #3101 of 3252

LOL why is the Annie 8-38900 hz and the K712 is "ONLY" 10-38900hz.

 

The Annie obviously has a TONS of extra bass! If I got the K712 i'd feel cheated! My other headphone goes down to 1hz so it's much better.

post #3102 of 3252

The Anniversary is only 8 hz? 

 

LOL.  Pathetic!

 

AD700 has them all beat going down to 5 hz.  If you want epic sub bass, the choice is obviously AD700.   :evil:

post #3103 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post
 

The Anniversary is only 8 hz? 

 

LOL.  Pathetic!

 

AD700 has them all beat going down to 5 hz.  If you want epic sub bass, the choice is obviously AD700.   :evil:

 

Yeah AKG is really going downhill...

 

The AD700 is really too dark for me and when I wear it I feel like my head is in a vise. Soundstage is a bit too closed in and not very airy at all.

I think it's is just all that bloated bass and excessive warmth!


Edited by tdockweiler - 10/22/13 at 4:06pm
post #3104 of 3252
I don't know how you guys know if it's photoshopped, I look at it and can't tell the difference.


Yeah the subbass is the reason I sold the ad700 right away, I couldn't handle it. very_evil_smiley.gif
post #3105 of 3252
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post

I don't know how you guys know if it's photoshopped, I look at it and can't tell the difference.
 

 

 

Well it's the same original photo on both from the same pair of headphones.  Therefore one of the images has been shopped.

 

Here's both photos aligned at the same angle:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Edited by chicolom - 10/22/13 at 5:36pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition