AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Oct 20, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #3,077 of 3,395
Yeah, if *I* were making a fake, I'd make it a point to say it's from Austria. The fact that it says it's from China, makes me believe they're legit, as it looks like AKG is shifting it's headphone production to China, aside from it's newest lines.

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #3,078 of 3,395
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #3,079 of 3,395
When I see that coming from you, I get a bad feeling... like you're close to selling all your stuff for an HD800. :p

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #3,080 of 3,395
That was meant to be a sneaky/evil face like you were making counterfeit AKGs.

This is the face to watch out for:

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #3,082 of 3,395

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #3,083 of 3,395
It wouldnt be the first time that a counterfeit product screws up on something simple.

You can pick up any counterfeit product and list at least a few ways on how you would have made it a better counterfeit.

Will be interesting to see what AKG or whatever customer service he contacts, says about this.

By the way, any chance you could tell us the serial number or what the serial number starts with?

Mine is 0054xx for example.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #3,085 of 3,395

A fake? What reason do you have to believe this is a fake headphone?

On the box of the K702 65th Anniversary Edition, the first thing listed under "PRODUCT FEATURES"
 >Limited Edition
hand-crafted in Vienna, Austria with highest attention to detail.

Also, third-party sellers on Amazon sell counterfeit stuff under the legitimate product page all the time.
Check out "Furminator" on amazon.com. Its a $50 metal comb used for pets. Its sold there by third parties for like $20.
Look in the comments and several people talk about how theirs were obviously counterfeit.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #3,086 of 3,395

A fake? What reason do you have to believe this is a fake headphone?

On the box of the K702 65th Anniversary Edition, the first thing listed under "PRODUCT FEATURES"
 >Limited Edition
hand-crafted in Vienna, Austria with highest attention to detail.

Also, third-party sellers on Amazon sell counterfeit stuff under the legitimate product page all the time.
Check out "Furminator" on amazon.com. Its a $50 metal comb used for pets. Its sold there by third parties for like $20.
Look in the comments and several people talk about how theirs were obviously counterfeit.

So you don't really have any proof, just speculation? Definitely usually implies some kind of solid evidence and not speculation.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #3,087 of 3,395

So you don't really have any proof, just speculation? Definitely usually implies some kind of solid evidence and not speculation.

def·i·nite·ly
ˈdefənitlē/
adverb

without doubt (used for emphasis).

•  

If its made in China, I'd say its definitely a fake...

On the other hand, I think what I wrote clearly shows that his pair is not real.

What makes you think it is real? Because the old K702/701s are being made in china now?
But the 702-65s are more similar to the 712s. And, again, being made in austria is listed as a feature.

So I would say that it is, without a doubt, a fake. :p

EDIT: But honestly, at this point, I think the guy just had nothing better to do and decided to go trolling.
The post with that picture was his one and only post ever.
And the picture looks like it could just be the stock picture photoshopped. The lettering looks a tiny bit odd to me, and (P.R.C.) is missing the first dot. It only says "Made in China (PR.C.)"
Also, according to at least one government source (USDA guidelines, not sure why USDA has guidelines on imported manufactured goods.. but w/e). PRC is not an acceptable abbreviation for China when marking the origin of goods. Either China or P.R. China is to be used. Not sure what other government guidelines say. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #3,088 of 3,395

On the other hand, I think what I wrote clearly shows that his pair is not real.

What makes you think it is real? Because the old K702/701s are being made in china now?
But the 702-65s are more similar to the 712s. And, again, being made in austria is listed as a feature.

So I would say that it is, without a doubt, a fake. :p

I understand you are sure, I'm just surprised you came to such a solid conclusion without any really good evidence to base this on. The K701 and K702 production lines have moved to China, so it's not shocking a variant of the K702 is made in China. The literature about being "hand made in Austria blah blah" is a stupid marketing ploy (which apparently works, because everyone panics if they're headphones aren't made in Austria). That literature was put out when the headphones were initially produced and at that time they were. 

No high end headphone has ever been counterfeit. Every accusation ever on headphone about fake headphones has been unfounded later. 

I just purchased a pair of K701 directly from Amazon. The sticker says "Made in China (PRC)". These sound nearly identical to the Q701 I have on hand. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #3,089 of 3,395

I understand you are sure, I'm just surprised you came to such a solid conclusion without any really good evidence to base this on. The K701 and K702 production lines have moved to China, so it's not shocking a variant of the K702 is made in China. The literature about being "hand made in Austria blah blah" is a stupid marketing ploy (which apparently works, because everyone panics if they're headphones aren't made in Austria). That literature was put out when the headphones were initially produced and at that time they were. 

No high end headphone has ever been counterfeit. Every accusation ever on headphone about fake headphones has been unfounded later. 

I just purchased a pair of K701 directly from Amazon. The sticker says "Made in China (PRC)". These sound nearly identical to the Q701 I have on hand. 

I dont doubt the K701s and K702s being made in China.
But to move the production line of a LIMITED EDITION headphone that is marketed as being made in Austria, to China, seems too preposterous.
Why would AKG go through the trouble of moving the production line of something that they're only going to make limited quantities of?
Especially when, by now, all the ones to be produced are probably already produced and sitting somewhere.

Yes, being "hand made in Austria blah blah" is a stupid marketing ploy, but when you write that, and then actually make it in China, that marketing ploy becomes a lie. I'm not debating the quality of crap made in austria or wherever vs china. I'm saying it would be stupid for AKG to move production of the Annies to China, and thus I can conclude either of the following:
1. Those headphones the guy received is fake.
or
2. The guy is just a bored ****** and decided to stir up drama.

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3,090 of 3,395
Well, I have the 702/65 and 712, but yesterday while browsing at HMV, I found a Q701 in black liquidated at 100$. Needless to say, it was an impulse buy. I'm surprised they even had that headphone in the first place.

I'm not sure if I will open it to compare with the newer revisions though, but I'm awfully tempted to do so.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back