AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
Apr 10, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #3,391 of 3,394
Honestly didn't think much of the K702|65th Anniversary until I [just] paired them with the Schiit LYR+ [w/2x Sylvania 6J5].
All I can say right now is "Wow!" this is one of the most memorable headphone listening experiences I have ever had!
So complete and balanced in virtually every respect.
. . . and so, so affordable!!

[Apple Music-->SMSL D400EX-->Schiit LYR+-->AKG K702|65th]

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #3,392 of 3,394
Depends on what you're looking for in a cable. I wouldn't look for improvement in audio quality by upgrading cables, but if you're looking for convenience (shorter cable, different plug termination, etc.) then there are options.

For my K702 AE, I originally swapped out the stock cable for an AKG coiled cable. It's shorter than stock, but can stretch to a longer length if needed and uses the same threaded 6.35mm adapter that comes with the original cable. https://www.amazon.com/AKG-EK500S-Coiled-headphone-cable/dp/B000GQ3I66

Eventually I just purchased my own parts from redco.com and made a couple DIY cables, each custom made for specific duties. I made one that is about 3ft long for portability and one that's 15ft long for chilling in my recliner listening to my vinyl collection. It's super easy to do and doesn't cost much in parts and you can put your own flare into them- my cables are blue and black to match the K702 AE. The sky's the limit with the DIY option.
If you are looking for an improvement in sound quality you might try upgrading the headphone plug on the cable. I did that on my AKG 701 and got a noticeable worthwhile improvement in sound quality . I suggest using a Furutech single ended headphone plug. You will not regret it and the Furutech plug is reasonably priced well worth the expenditure given the improvement in sound quality you will get.

Apr 11, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #3,393 of 3,394
If you are looking for an improvement in sound quality you might try upgrading the headphone plug on the cable. I did that on my AKG 701 and got a noticeable worthwhile improvement in sound quality . I suggest using a Furutech single ended headphone plug. You will not regret it and the Furutech plug is reasonably priced well worth the expenditure given the improvement in sound quality you will get.
Unless there is something wrong with the metal to metal contact fit there should not be a big difference. I have had pretty crummy 1/4in adapters that don't like to fit certain headphones. My DT770s plug must be just a little smaller than other plugs because it wiggles around in most of my adapters and sounds wrong due to poor contact. I have a 1/4in to 1/8in extension cable that solves that issue. I run it under my desk. keeps the top clean.

Apr 11, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #3,394 of 3,394
Replaced a Chi-Fi 4-pin XLR to 1/4" adapter using silver-plated OCC copper with a comparable Moon Audio Black Dragon UPOCC copper adapter with Furutech terminations at both ends. The Moon Audio adapter brought HUGE overall improvements across the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back