19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
May 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #601 of 687
Quote:
 Is it more a quality and aesthetics thing with iem users, or does cable have greater sonic effect with iems than with over ear headphones?  Thanks for your input!

For IEM users, a big thing is microphonics (when you rub something, it conducts the noise to your ear).  That trumps aesthetics for the most part.
Also, with an IEM, you'll hear less external environmental stuff, so you can hear differences if any better.  But as always, it depends on the listener and external components.  Some people can hear differences that are less obvious to others.  Some users use external components w/ better drivers (e.g., Apple's original iPod raised the bar in portable music players way back when it was released) that aren't as affected by different cable impedances.

May 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #602 of 687

The yellow cable:wink:

and a silver Mundorf connecting my fiio e11 and iphone 4S

All the sudden, music is fun and lovely to listen to, even with 320 kbps MOG stream :wink:
And yet to come - custom earsleeves for my se535 - I guess it will be even nicer :wink:

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #604 of 687
Quote:
  It might be a silly question but I will still ask, is Nordost Valhalla an OEM of the Cronus(or other way around)?)

I believe the Beat Cronus is said to use OEM sources of Nordost Valhalla cables (Nordost doesn't have cable production capability, I don't think, they need an OEM), but there have been rumors that they're merely using cables that qualitatively sound like the Valhalla if it were to be made into an IEM cable. Apparently, there have been rumors that all Beat cables are that way, just like Zephone and a few of the older Chinese cable companies. I don't know what the real deal is, though.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #605 of 687
the deal is a total sham bordering on scam, using the name of an expensive cable manufacture to allure people into buying their own products.

it's funny how it works - it's like someone is selling a Skoda - the car has still its badge on it, but he says it's a Bently.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #606 of 687
In China, the Beat Audio cables are believed to be a scam. Since no Nordost cables can ever be sold at such a low price. Also, the Beat Audio CIEMs are not looked upon favorably either.

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #609 of 687
In my experience, probably a bit more. 

I switched to a silver cable interconnect and suddenly I thought I lost my seal, but I didn't.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #610 of 687
I just got the Silver Dragon IEM cable and I am very happy with it.  It added much needed soundstage depth and actually widened the JH16 soundstage which was already wide.  Clarity across the boards is very evident, and there is more bass punch, and it brings out the high frequency a little more without adding too much up top which was what I was looking for.  I can actually fit the cable in my Westone travel case which was important to me since I carry my JH16s around in my pocket.  The braiding on other cables look nice, but they wouldn't fit in my Westone case, and I also wanted a black or gray silver iem cable most of them are silver colored or white.

Jul 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #611 of 687
Hi everybody
first message there I guess, I ll make my presentation in the nearest time...
I do have a simple question to ask as honestly, and as I use to say, too many information kill the information, so I am a little lost. I have a little idea of what I could do, but may need a little of push to pass the step...
I have a duo, iBasso DX100 and Earsonics EM6, using the stock cable supplied by earsonics. I am however wondering if I can improve the experience by changing the cable I have... why not a TWag V3 ?
But then again, would it be the wisest choice ?
And then what would it bring exactly except lowering the wallet's weight ?

I do like the Earsonics signature (mid levels a little in front, etc...), but may be there's even a way to get it better ?

Thanks to all for your comments

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #612 of 687
in my experience, and the experience of the general population (the population that believes the cables make a difference), is that the differences between cables are noticeable, but not really a big deal to the casual listener. 

in my experience: 

pure copper = warmer, bass has more impact and rumble.  Vocals are more forward.  Very good timbre, you can just see what instrument/key is being strummed/plucked/pressed, and what it's made of.

silver plated copper = Vocals are smoother sounding, bass has less impact, but rumble sounds the same.  Same timbre as pure copper.   

Pure silver = Vocals are farther back(maybe more neutral?) than pure copper, bass has slightly less impact/rumble.  Highest detail and brightness.  The timbre is less convincing probably because the instruments sound a bit thinner?  Not really noticeable unless you're A/Bing, which I did because I noticed that I did less head-bobbing and toe-tapping with pure silver for some reason.  I spent all 5 days of the last holiday just switching stuff out.  (However, I've yet to figure out whether or not the timbre/bass is attenuated by the silver, or just enhanced by the copper cables).

Once again, this is just my subjective experience.  Also, I've been listening to the same 40 tracks for the last 4 months, 8-15 hours per day so I am very familliar with the tracks.

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #613 of 687
thanks Chengsta

indeed I beleive that cables are an important part in the sound chain. But my only knowledge today in cables is regarding speakers for my Home Theater.
But what I learned from it is that too much is the enemy of the good (used to have too good cables which were breathtaking my Elipson speakers... they got reborn with a smaller cable with less resistance...)

I'd say, according to my taste (which is at the end the most important) that I do not wish to soften the EM6 sound. so according to your analysis, pure copper shall be the best compromise.
Anyway I'll research it more !

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #614 of 687
Sorry for reviving an old thread. 
I was just wondering if any of you have ever owned a 'twag/cu v3 hybrid' that has gone "green"?
I'll be receiving one soon and was (still is) hoping it to use it for a couple of years.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #615 of 687
  Sorry for reviving an old thread. 
I was just wondering if any of you have ever owned a 'twag/cu v3 hybrid' that has gone "green"?
I'll be receiving one soon and was (still is) hoping it to use it for a couple of years.

I have a cable from HPL/Chris_Himself silver plated copper that has gone green on the right earpiece connector. Although it has gone green, it hasn't affected audio quality (as far as i can tell). I'm just hoping it spreads evenly, and not just one side, so I don't look like a monster with one side green, one side clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back