19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
Apr 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #586 of 687
Are there any IEM cables for increasing the BASS impact without microfonics + light design ?
Thanks for the suggestions.

(sub100$ catergory preferred)

May 4, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #587 of 687
Quote:
Are there any IEM cables for increasing the BASS impact without microfonics + light design ?
Thanks for the suggestions.

(sub100$ catergory preferred)

It depends on the headphone, but in general, good copper can increase the bass.  A good amp can increase the bass to a larger extent, if you aren't already using one (see my multi-amp review thread).

May 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #588 of 687
Hey joe, I've read your cable reviews about 10 times over in the last week.  I will soon be an owner of a jh16.  With that being said, my take-away from your review hints that the 'chris himself' cables were the best improvement for the jh16 (for the price), is that correct?

Anyway I went to his website and it seems there are some major changes, like him expanding the business, which confuses me about exactly which cable you used in your review.  Perhaps he raised the prices from 75 to $200, perhaps not.  Anyway for the review, did you use the $200 pure silver iem cables, or the $85 HPL hybrid iem cables?

Sure I bought the jh16's for the bass potential, but I do like to listen to the occassional classical tracks as well.  I like just enough bass in classical tracks to make me feel like I'm in a movie theatre watching pirates of the caribbean or something. so I'm not sure if the 16s will provide enough/too much.  I'm currently leaning towards the chris cables, but would you have a different recommendation?  I know it's been a good while since you've done your cable reviews, so maybe you have found better cables for the jh16's.

my budget is around $250 
ksc75smile.gif

May 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #589 of 687
Quote:
Hey joe, I've read your cable reviews about 10 times over in the last week.  I will soon be an owner of a jh16.  With that being said, my take-away from your review hints that the 'chris himself' cables were the best improvement for the jh16 (for the price), is that correct?

Anyway I went to his website and it seems there are some major changes, like him expanding the business, which confuses me about exactly which cable you used in your review.  Perhaps he raised the prices from 75 to $200, perhaps not.  Anyway for the review, did you use the $200 pure silver iem cables, or the $85 HPL hybrid iem cables?

Sure I bought the jh16's for the bass potential, but I do like to listen to the occassional classical tracks as well.  I like just enough bass in classical tracks to make me feel like I'm in a movie theatre watching pirates of the caribbean or something. so I'm not sure if the 16s will provide enough/too much.  I'm currently leaning towards the chris cables, but would you have a different recommendation?  I know it's been a good while since you've done your cable reviews, so maybe you have found better cables for the jh16's.

my budget is around $250 
ksc75smile.gif

The cables Joe reviewed are not the new stranded wire I use actually. Stranded silver is a good deal more expensive than solid core but it is factually more malleable and supple as well as being easier on the microphonics despite being a thicker gauge. We made the move despite the price increases because of a ton of breakages we were dealing with. 

May 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #590 of 687
Quote:

The cables Joe reviewed are not the new stranded wire I use actually. Stranded silver is a good deal more expensive than solid core but it is factually more malleable and supple as well as being easier on the microphonics despite being a thicker gauge. We made the move despite the price increases because of a ton of breakages we were dealing with. 

Oh I see, thanks.  Which of your new cables are considered to be the upgraded version of the silver core?  Also, whats the difference between SPC and silver?  I was looking at your website and its kind of confusing.  When I click description button, all it does is take me to the order page.  Sorry for all these questions, I just don't want to make any mistakes. 

May 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #591 of 687

About to shop a 100 dollar string :wink:

What do you think about a YELLOW cable??

My thougths are now at an silver-plated  Apollo with angled oyaide plugs. 

The decision is - just a boring black string - or a fancy yellow one ?The pic above is from seller, I really should like a photo of an actual earpod witth this :wink:
æ

May 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #592 of 687
Quote:

my budget is around $250 
ksc75smile.gif

As CH said, the cable I reviews is no longer available and very different from the current cables, which I haven't seen or heard.  Solid core, which was used by the old cables, sounds excellent but is problematic from a breakage and flexibility standpoint.  I used to make LODs and used solid core cable, so I know from that experience, as does CH I am sure.  Stranded takes more work to get sounding as good, and for the price, the Whiplash products seem to offer some of the best performance.  The Stage 93 silver cable was also quite good for the price.

Also, it isn't just about material as the way it is made (braiding and other factors that affect capacitance and impedance) will change how it pairs with different multi-BA IEMs/CIEMs due to the crossover networks.  The best cable for my JH16 was the Whiplash TWag V2, but then there is also a sound signature change to take into account while the V3 kept the sound signature change to a minimum.

Quote:

The decision is - just a boring black string - or a fancy yellow one ?The pic above is from seller, I really should like a photo of an actual earpod witth this :wink:
æ

Unfortunately I can't find any IEM/CIEM pics with yellow cable, maybe Effect Studio can provide one.

May 7, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #593 of 687
Quote:

æ

imo, from an appearance standpoint, I don't find yellow to go well with IEM/CIEM or otherwise. Black/Clear/White seems to work the best.

May 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #594 of 687
Hey Joe,

Any plans to review any of the Toxic Cables line?

May 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #595 of 687
Quote:
imo, from an appearance standpoint, I don't find yellow to go well with IEM/CIEM or otherwise. Black/Clear/White seems to work the best.

Yellow isn't so bad, especially with some CIEMs such as these:
images

Unique-Melody-UM-Marvel-3-drivers.jpg

7396365016_37b6e7b475_z.jpg

leHYx.jpg

Quote:
Hey Joe,

Any plans to review any of the Toxic Cables line?

I wouldn't say plans at this time, but I would like to down the road when time permits.

May 10, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #597 of 687
Quote:
Mine is Shure 535. The transparent version. And transparent sleeves, custom made, with gold dust :wink:

Plugs - shiny silver Oyaide rhodium ones :wink:

thus - yellow cable !

Pictures please!

May 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #598 of 687
Given all the reviews of cables for the JH-16, I wonder if they would apply equally to the JH-13. TWAG v3 alone is VERY expensive.

May 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #599 of 687
Hi all. I'm getting interested in trying the iem market for the first time, but I have a very basic question.  When discussion of custom cables for over ear headphones come up, invariably there are huge arguments about whether or not custom cables make any sonic difference, to the point that the horse gets beaten to death.  Yet I notice (and kind of appreciate) that this is not the case with iem cable discussions.  Is it more a quality and aesthetics thing with iem users, or does cable have greater sonic effect with iems than with over ear headphones?  Thanks for your input!

May 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #600 of 687
Quote:
Given all the reviews of cables for the JH-16, I wonder if they would apply equally to the JH-13. TWAG v3 alone is VERY expensive.

Honestly, I can't say as every CIEM/IEM will perform differently, but it seems certain properties are generally changed by cables.  For example, the NT-6 and NT-6 pro don't perform the same with various cables even though they are both made by the same manufacturer and share similarities.  The differences aren't just in how the sound changes, but also the magnitude of the changes that are similar.  Another way to say that is, if a cable improves imaging on two difference CIEMs, one could have a quite noticeable change while the other has a small change.

Quote:
Hi all. I'm getting interested in trying the iem market for the first time, but I have a very basic question.  When discussion of custom cables for over ear headphones come up, invariably there are huge arguments about whether or not custom cables make any sonic difference, to the point that the horse gets beaten to death.  Yet I notice (and kind of appreciate) that this is not the case with iem cable discussions.  Is it more a quality and aesthetics thing with iem users, or does cable have greater sonic effect with iems than with over ear headphones?  Thanks for your input!

It depends on where you post, what response you will get.  I also believe it is dependent upon the ear of the beholder.  The changes are typically subtle and it generally helps to know what you are listening for to really pinpoint the differences, at least for me.  The easiest way for me to tell is not to go from stock to an aftermarket cable to hear the improvement (if there is any improvement), but the switch back lets me hear what I am missing when going back to stock.

Essentially, I don't think there are more differences for IEMs/CIEMs than headphones,  but maybe a less outspoken crowd?  Although I can't say I have really tried to make a correlation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back