19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
Oct 22, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #481 of 687
Quote:
Hey joe are you planning to review the new headphone lounge cables?  Interested to hear your take on them?  Also some of the 8 conductor cables from Toxic and Whiplash.

I think were gonna send him a set but he's a pretty busy guy so it might be a while...

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #482 of 687

Quote:
average_joe (or anyone with a Silver Dragon cable), since the Silver Dragons don't have earguides, how well do they hold over-ear? Or do they keep falling out? I'd appreciate it if anyone can answer this as I am looking to get one for my ASG-1s

For me, it stays fine, but then I don't usually have issue with most cables without memory wire including many universal IEMs (and their stock cables).  They aren't as secure as something with memory wire, but then the weight of the cable keeps them in place for me.

Quote:
Hey joe are you planning to review the new headphone lounge cables?  Interested to hear your take on them?  Also some of the 8 conductor cables from Toxic and Whiplash.

See below...

Quote:
I think were gonna send him a set but he's a pretty busy guy so it might be a while...

Yes, busy, but trying to work on reviews of various gear I have had for a while.  I can't promise review times however, but things are slowly churning.  And a big thank you!

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #484 of 687
Thanks for the update joe..that Twag hybrid v3 cable looks amazing!  Must...not..buy..ugh.  

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #485 of 687
New Aftermarket cable list is up. Still have a few tweaks I wanna do to it. http://www.head-fi.org/t/633501/aftermarket-iem-cable-list-work-in-progress

Thanks for the new reviews. Almost didn't even realize those cables were out. Was just on Whiplash Audio's website a few days ago looking at cables.
Quote:
I have added the new Whiplash Hybrid V3 and TWag V3 to the first post (bottom of the post).  Check them out!

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #486 of 687
I have been using TWag cables from Whiplash since I got my JH13 nearly 3 years ago and have gone through all the versions and generations and both my HE500 and my now sold Ed8 were done with TWag V2. About a month ago Craig wrote me to tell me about the upcomming V3 cable and asked if I would like to try it and naturally I said yes. I have received 2 cables (single ended and balanced) for my JH13 plus a caps lod for my Whipmod. I have been using the single ended version for about 2 weeks (the balanced only arrived today so no impreesion on that yet). So my first comparison was my balanced V2 versus the single ended V3 out of the balanced and single ended outputs of the SR71-B. To sum up my impression what I get with V3 single ended is nearly all the effects I got with V2 balanced plus some. I get the grater control over the bass region and that in turn gives more room for the midrange and the treble, actually I think that the midrange is a little more prominent with the V3 than it is with V2 and the treble has slightly more sparkle. What the single ended version does not give is the darker background and lower noisefloor of the balanced version but I fully expect to get that on top of all the rest once I get to try the balanced V3. As I understand it the price is going to be comparable to the old V2 procing while the prices for V2 are going to drop. It is still expensive cable but I'm sure that I'm going to order the OM version once it is avaiable as I don't like the memory wire on the non OM version (never have like memory wire in the least bit)

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #489 of 687
Quote:
New Aftermarket cable list is up. Still have a few tweaks I wanna do to it. http://www.head-fi.org/t/633501/aftermarket-iem-cable-list-work-in-progress

Thanks for the new reviews. Almost didn't even realize those cables were out. Was just on Whiplash Audio's website a few days ago looking at cables.

Yes, and they are extremely nice (as I am sure you can tell from my review).  I also added a link to your thread in the first post, thanks for the work!

Quote:
I have been using TWag cables from Whiplash since I got my JH13 nearly 3 years ago and have gone through all the versions and generations and both my HE500 and my now sold Ed8 were done with TWag V2. About a month ago Craig wrote me to tell me about the upcomming V3 cable and asked if I would like to try it and naturally I said yes. I have received 2 cables (single ended and balanced) for my JH13 plus a caps lod for my Whipmod. I have been using the single ended version for about 2 weeks (the balanced only arrived today so no impreesion on that yet). So my first comparison was my balanced V2 versus the single ended V3 out of the balanced and single ended outputs of the SR71-B. To sum up my impression what I get with V3 single ended is nearly all the effects I got with V2 balanced plus some. I get the grater control over the bass region and that in turn gives more room for the midrange and the treble, actually I think that the midrange is a little more prominent with the V3 than it is with V2 and the treble has slightly more sparkle. What the single ended version does not give is the darker background and lower noisefloor of the balanced version but I fully expect to get that on top of all the rest once I get to try the balanced V3. As I understand it the price is going to be comparable to the old V2 procing while the prices for V2 are going to drop. It is still expensive cable but I'm sure that I'm going to order the OM version once it is avaiable as I don't like the memory wire on the non OM version (never have like memory wire in the least bit)

Thanks for sharing.  The V3 does improve upon the V2 in tangible ways, and I agree with your assessment of the cable except I think the V2 TWag is a bit brighter than the V3 with most of my CIEMs.  The price of the V2 will drop but there were some issues with Craig's site that he is working on resolving.

So, Whiplash is getting into the much-ballyhooed, 1% gold rukus as well, now?

I haven't heard that cable so I can't comment, but I was actually skeptical about the Hybrid V3, and upon first listen with the PRM I wasn't impressed.  Turns out I forgot the positive pin of the PRM is on the bottom, so I had the PRM hooked up with an opposite polarity and once I got that right the improvement of the cable was apparent.  But, cables are also about synergy as the Hybrid V3 makes the NT-6 sound so much better I was stunned.  It went from reference design that had some musicality to a musical sound that was reference quality all the while improving the already great clarity, detail, and presentation within the soundstage.  When something as good as the NT-6 is improved, and the amount of improvement I heard, I am genuinely impressed.

Some CIEMs don't react well to certain cables such as the Rooth LS8 as many cables actually make the soundstage less 3D than the stock cable, but the TWag V3 improved the sound overall while I don't think the V2 is a match due to the changes in the soundstage proportions.  I really don't have any reason to be skeptical about changes cables make and let my ears be the judge.  Craig said the TWag Gold sounds different than the regular TWag, so I would tend to believe him and want to hear it, time permitting.  Changes in resistance, capacitance, and inductance do affect the nuances in the music to my ears, which is what high-end audio is all about!

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #490 of 687
It's the people like you that make the list I do possible. If it were not for the inspiration by the involved members of this community, I never would have made my list public, after it originally formed from me doing research for the upcoming purchase of an aftermarket IEM cable. I'm glad so many people enjoy it. I am currently in the aftermath's of a hurricane to hit my area, and this it the first time I have been able to be online in 24 hours. When everything is settled down, I will begin again on revising the list to include memory wire or not information for each cable. I started a few days ago contacting some manufacturers and am awaiting some more responses and to figure out things in the regular world before I go ahead and make a massive update. 
Quote:
Yes, and they are extremely nice (as I am sure you can tell from my review).  I also added a link to your thread in the first post, thanks for the work!

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #491 of 687
Joe, if I want to change a cable for my UERM, for example, a Westone cable, do I have to flip the connector upside down?

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #493 of 687
Quote:
It's the people like you that make the list I do possible. If it were not for the inspiration by the involved members of this community, I never would have made my list public, after it originally formed from me doing research for the upcoming purchase of an aftermarket IEM cable. I'm glad so many people enjoy it. I am currently in the aftermath's of a hurricane to hit my area, and this it the first time I have been able to be online in 24 hours. When everything is settled down, I will begin again on revising the list to include memory wire or not information for each cable. I started a few days ago contacting some manufacturers and am awaiting some more responses and to figure out things in the regular world before I go ahead and make a massive update. 

Well wishes to all those affected by the hurricane.  

Glad I have that effect and can help people to enjoy their gear at a higher level and glad I helped you with your list!

Quote:
Joe, if I want to change a cable for my UERM, for example, a Westone cable, do I have to flip the connector upside down?

The positive pin, which is the one with the dot on the Westone cables, should be facing the ground when the CIEM is worn.

Quote:
Thanks for your reviews, it's great to consider some cable for my ear phone. :)

You are welcome.  Let me (us) know if you have any questions.

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #494 of 687
I have now had som time with the balanced TWag V3 and yes going balanced gives another step up in performance as I expected it would. However the diference between single ende and balanced V3 is much smaller than the difference between single ended and balanced V2. In fact single ended V3 is probably 2/3 of the way to balanced V2 and even surpasses it in some areas and balanced V3 is probably only 1/3 again over balanced V2. So it seems that Craig has really done something right with this new cable

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #495 of 687
Thanks for sharing nc8000.  I started a review comparing SE, balanced, and my Anedio D1 with various CIEMs I own and found that balanced didn't always improve the sound.  However, that might be the implementation of the 801 balanced card, so I am still awaiting time to explore balanced vs. SE further.

However, from your post it does seem like cables can make great overall improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back