19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
Nov 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #497 of 687
Wonderful.....another cable to add to the list....No worries. Looking forward to your review
Quote:

Coming in 4-5 weeks time, the OM versions of the TWag and TWcu V3...

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #498 of 687
Quote:
Wonderful.....another cable to add to the list....No worries. Looking forward to your review

These are just the OM versions...the shell connector has a plastic mold vs the epoxy one.

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #499 of 687
I just got the Silver Dragons last monday and I find that they pair quite well with the ASG-1s. I wasn't expecting a very noticeable difference but it was very clear that the SD improved clarity throughout and brought the treble forward. I won't exaggerate and say that they transform the ASG-1s, but I would say that they give that much needed push to truly make them shine. I've since stopped using EQ when using them.

It's really interesting for me because I was halfway through a song when I replaced the cables and when I let the music continue playing that's when I noticed the differences. Honestly I didn't expect a change at all.

Nov 3, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #500 of 687
Thanks for sharing nc8000.  I started a review comparing SE, balanced, and my Anedio D1 with various CIEMs I own and found that balanced didn't always improve the sound.  However, that might be the implementation of the 801 balanced card, so I am still awaiting time to explore balanced vs. SE further.

However, from your post it does seem like cables can make great overall improvements.

The difference balancing makes varies greatly from phone to phone, for some the difference is very small and for others it is quite noticeable.

Another interesting point is burn-in of cables. I have been fairly sceptical about this but last year I had an aha experience. I had ordered a number of cables from Whiplash when the black version of V2 came out but by mistake he send me a clear one for HE-500. He promissed me to send a black one and did so a month later. I replaced it on the phones and heard a distinct difference which I absolutely did not expect, after all the only difference was supposed to be the insulation colour. I wrote Craig and asked and his answer was interesting "I was wondering if you would notice. I have invested heavily in burn-in equipment so all my cables now come with about 500 hours of burn-in". So what I was hearing was the difference between the 50 or so hours of use on the clear cable versus the 500+ hours on the black.

And I'm so waiting for the OM V3 as I hate the memory wire on the version I have now, have never gotten on with memory wire

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #501 of 687
Quote:

Coming in 4-5 weeks time, the OM versions of the TWag and TWcu V3...

They look great. But is TWcu V3 supposed to be thicker than that or this is just 4 conductors? They do OM version of TWcu V3? that's cool.

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #502 of 687
That's extremely interesting in the case for burn-in of cables. Kinda wish more companies for cables did that, so you have a well burnt in product that also has little to no wear to it when it sounds its best. I think a major case against cable burn in is people mishandling their cables throughout the time it takes to burn them in so the actual cable is deteriorating in quality physically while it is getting burned in
Quote:
The difference balancing makes varies greatly from phone to phone, for some the difference is very small and for others it is quite noticeable.
Another interesting point is burn-in of cables. I have been fairly sceptical about this but last year I had an aha experience. I had ordered a number of cables from Whiplash when the black version of V2 came out but by mistake he send me a clear one for HE-500. He promissed me to send a black one and did so a month later. I replaced it on the phones and heard a distinct difference which I absolutely did not expect, after all the only difference was supposed to be the insulation colour. I wrote Craig and asked and his answer was interesting "I was wondering if you would notice. I have invested heavily in burn-in equipment so all my cables now come with about 500 hours of burn-in". So what I was hearing was the difference between the 50 or so hours of use on the clear cable versus the 500+ hours on the black.
And I'm so waiting for the OM V3 as I hate the memory wire on the version I have now, have never gotten on with memory wire

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #503 of 687
Quote:

Burn in does have a profound effect in my experience, and silver changes more than copper.  I have found 200 to 300 hours is quite good for many silver cables.  I remember getting my first TWag cable and it sounded bad until about 100 hours and then it started to sound much better but kept improving.

Quote:
They look great. But is TWcu V3 supposed to be thicker than that or this is just 4 conductors? They do OM version of TWcu V3? that's cool.

There is an 8 conductor TWcu V3, but this is the OM version.  Making the thicker cables such as an 8 conductor an OM cable is difficult due to the thicker cable.

http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/headphone-cables/new-twcu-v3-om-pre-order.html 

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #505 of 687
Quote:

There is an 8 conductor TWcu V3, but this is the OM version.  Making the thicker cables such as an 8 conductor an OM cable is difficult due to the thicker cable.

http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/headphone-cables/new-twcu-v3-om-pre-order.html 

But the copper cable picture you showed is 4 conductor right? (8 conductor one should be twice as thick) Is it even possible to do a 8 conductor with an OM connectors?

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #506 of 687
Quote:
But the copper cable picture you showed is 4 conductor right? (8 conductor one should be twice as thick) Is it even possible to do a 8 conductor with an OM connectors?

Yes, the OM is on a 4 conductor cable.  Craig is trying to perfect the OM for the 8 wire cables.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #507 of 687
Hi Joe and everybody ,

I found a problem on my Twag v2 eclipes, it's not about the sound but my cable have something wrong. the head plug is bend so when I insert my westone on socket the joint of the cable were loose.  Does anyone have a good suggestion to resolve this problem , I'm worried to damage on my cable.

Thanks you.

Nov 8, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #508 of 687
Hi CharliePolk, I am not sure I understand the issue properly.  Would you be able to upload a picture?  Once that is done, I (or another knowledgeable head-fier) should be able to help.

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #509 of 687
Ergonomics aside, I seem torn between the Chris_himself cable and the Whiplash TWag v3. Do you have any thoughts on the sound quality comparison between these two for someone upgrading from a stock cable for the JH16s?

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #510 of 687
No reviews that I am aware of yet have the latest wire type from Chris_Himself. You may wish to wait if you were hoping for more flexibility with Chris_Himself cables. I know it's supposed to be more flexible but havent read any reviews about it yet.
Quote:
Ergonomics aside, I seem torn between the Chris_himself cable and the Whiplash TWag v3. Do you have any thoughts on the sound quality comparison between these two for someone upgrading from a stock cable for the JH16s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back