post your grado mods....
Jun 8, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #7,801 of 8,992
I definitely want to respect that they are originals, so things like leather headband (rholuplat/turbulent), cushions (dyed senns/flats), were on top of my list. I figured cables might be fun if we all had a clear bang for your buck upgrade. But ya, maybe I'll just get them back together first and re-learn the sound before anything that would affect the sound signature. Dynamat and punch mod are intriguing. For that future modding, I've seen people recommend blu tack instead of glue for the cups. Thoughts on that? I also think the plastic/wood combo was a problem for whatever stock glue was used, so not sure if I would need to step up to something heavier duty if I were to go the glue route.

You can also use the dynamat to hold the cups together and it can be removed if you ever want to use hot glue (stock glue) again. I'm one that likes cables that are light and flexible so they don't distract from the enjoyment and also a fan of removable cables so all my builds have SMC jacks so I can change the cables easily. While you can install the SMC jacks in the HF-1 it will require some cutting of the cups so I wouldn't recommend it but for others like my RS2e the jacks fit perfectly in the cable hole so no cutting required.

Jul 4, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #7,802 of 8,992
With the extremely helpful and informative guidance, kind assistance, and wonderful workmanship of @DavidA @fleasbaby @javburg I successfully completed my Nhoord Red v2 build! Many thanks gents!

Well, they sound amazing! I am extremely pleased with the sound thus far and the comfort is out of this world whether fitted with the L or G-Cush pads. I still haven't decided which pad I like best. These headphones are light as a feather.

DRIVERS: Nhoord Red v2
CUPS: Wabi Sabi RS1 Walnuts
DAMPENING MATERIAL: Dynamat
HEADBAND: Sony MDR-7502
HEADBAND CUSHIONS: Sennheiser PX100/200/250
EAR PADS: Various L/G-Cushs
CABLE: Arakawa (Mogami W2893) w/ SMC connectors
ADDITIONAL MATERIALS: Black Electrical Tape; SuperGlue; Black Heat Shrink Tubing

Nhoord Red v2 with Generic L-Cush

IMG_20170704_225541.jpg

IMG_20170704_234554.jpg

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #7,807 of 8,992
Hi all. I'd like to send my 10 year old Grado 325s for new cables and maybe a few other mods. Is there anyone in the forums that offers this service?
Thanks

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #7,808 of 8,992
Hi all. I'd like to send my 10 year old Grado 325s for new cables and maybe a few other mods. Is there anyone in the forums that offers this service?
Thanks
I don't "offer" the service but I do have spare Grado wires from a SR225i if you want to keep it closer to original. I've built and installed cables for others but there are a few others out there that also do it. Send me a PM if you want help with doing the cable and mods.

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #7,811 of 8,992
Recently, I went wild and put G Cush pads on my PS500. This coupled with TTVJ Flats on my RS2e encompass my entire portfolio of Grado mods. Watch out, kids, I'm living on the edge now!

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #7,812 of 8,992
It's probably the second time I bought a headphone with a strong intention to mod it. I gave my new Alessandro MS-1i a couple days, then I started. My main intention was to get rid of internal reflections while not compromising openness. My first attempt was a piece of slightly felted synthetic wool. I used 0.6 grams of it on each side (the amount is a usual quantiy used in vented speaker enclosures, scaled down to the smaller cups). See how it looks inside:
IMG_0727.JPG
And outside:
IMG_0726.JPG
Black wool hides everything inside the cup - nice for looks.
I did not like the tonality of stuffed Grados at all. Bass was OK, but treble went completly wrong. It's hard to explain, it had to become less peaky, it probably did, but everything just got messed up. I have a little theory on this: music just isn't mixed to be listened in an anechoic chamber, our listening rooms produce lots of reflections and obviously sound peaky. Better headphones do replicate that effect (it's sometimes called "glare") and Grados are no exception. Cheaper plastic models are probably just tuned to sound not as good. We can't blame John for that, but we can try to change the sound for better.
The next iteration was simple, I just applied a piece of automotive dampening material to magnet cover, trying not to obstuct vents:
IMG_0728.JPG
Not sure what it does to the sound, but it won't hurt.
I used a 6mm wide pen clip as a gauge in order to keep the housings even:
IMG_0729.JPG
This configuration didn't last long. More mods have followed:
IMG_0766.JPG
Let's see them in detail:
IMG_0767.JPG
A minimalistic felt lining. Dark magenta is one of my favourite colors.
IMG_0768.JPG
Vibration dampening material not only adds to weight, but also changes inner shape of the cup to soften possible resonances. The plastic stick behind the driver is a smartphone opener tool. I use it's sides to pry cups open.
IMG_0769.JPG
These are L-cushion replicas from ebay. The smaller cushion can be fit under the bigger one for softer feel. I like the bowls for more open feeling and tamed bass response.
The above setup lasted for a week until I did the last mod:
IMG_0770.JPG
Cup depth readjustment. The opener tool is 8mm wide, just 2mm more than the pen clip I used before, but the difference is about as huge as changing pads. Treble coloration is very different now: colder and more neutral. I highly recommend trying such readjustment to everybody. I haven't yet tried 7 or 9 mm clearance, but if you do you will get some interesting results as well.
Finally, I achieved the tonality I like with all the Grado benefits. Please see my new favourite:
IMG_0772.JPG
BTW, I have also changed the headband assembly: the old SR-80 headband turned out to be slightly better: it has a nicer texture and softer feel.

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #7,814 of 8,992
@DavidA , did not measure, but 6mm (or 1/4", just a little bit more) seems to be the right guess. I highly recommend to do the measurement before opening any Grado. Still, the optimum depth can be set by ear.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #7,815 of 8,992
@DavidA , did not measure, but 6mm (or 1/4", just a little bit more) seems to be the right guess. I highly recommend to do the measurement before opening any Grado. Still, the optimum depth can be set by ear.
Thanks for the reply, I asked since I want to compare it to my SR225e and SR225i

Users who are viewing this thread

Back