post your grado mods....
Apr 17, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #7,696 of 8,989
I literally asked about them like two posts above yours lol they seem great but don't speak English so I can't really get any of my questions answered. I was wondering which drivers they use for their twin pulse flagship headphones.

Oh and as far as maple wood is concerned.. not sure about sound but I always thought it looked beautiful.

I' ll translate:

"Dual E-Series Driver paralleled with 64ohm impedance (FYI: grado uses the same driver for all the models changing ventilation holes)"

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #7,698 of 8,989
I' ll translate:

"Dual E-Series Driver paralleled with 64ohm impedance (FYI: grado uses the same driver for all the models changing ventilation holes)"

This confuses me even more. Haha

Dual drivers as in two in each ear cup? Because that's how I interpret it, especially with the name "Twin Pulse". Plus the impedence is exactly double something like the 225e (32 ohms). I think four drivers woulda kinda be impossible though lol

So according to them.. the only difference in Grado headphone drivers is the ventilation holes? Everything else about the transducer/driver is same just the venting/holes? That seems a little crazy if true. Grado always talks about "tuning" and how they tune each model until they're happy with it.. could the tuning just be choosing a wood, which foam they want and then poking some holes in the driver? Lol

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #7,699 of 8,989
Have some noord reds on the way. I only saw one type for sale on their site. Noord Red. Is this their newest revision?

Thanks folks!

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #7,701 of 8,989
This confuses me even more. Haha

Dual drivers as in two in each ear cup? Because that's how I interpret it, especially with the name "Twin Pulse". Plus the impedence is exactly double something like the 225e (32 ohms). I think four drivers woulda kinda be impossible though lol

So according to them.. the only difference in Grado headphone drivers is the ventilation holes? Everything else about the transducer/driver is same just the venting/holes? That seems a little crazy if true. Grado always talks about "tuning" and how they tune each model until they're happy with it.. could the tuning just be choosing a wood, which foam they want and then poking some holes in the driver? Lol

Yep, 2 drivers in each ear cup.

According to them yes, the only difference are ventilations hole. I really don't know if it's true, but I really doubt it.

Even if the Spirit Labs owner actually owns ALL the grado headphones so maybe he knows what he is talking about

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #7,702 of 8,989
Yep, 2 drivers in each ear cup.

According to them yes, the only difference are ventilations hole. I really don't know if it's true, but I really doubt it.

Even if the Spirit Labs owner actually owns ALL the grado headphones so maybe he knows what he is talking about

It actually wouldn't surprise me if Grado only used two or three drivers for their entire e series. They're a very small company with no real audio design engineers and they obviously use a lot of the other parts (gimbal, headband etc) in all their products so it wouldn't surprise me.

I am interested in their twin pulse headphone flagship. It seems extremely interesting and I wonder how it sounds. How do you put two drivers in each cup? I am also trying to figure out if they're using the sr60e. Which I would guess they probably are since they have to use four of them.. for money sake.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #7,703 of 8,989
I contacted them and yes they are using the 60e for that headphone and they reiterated that Grado is using the exact same driver in 60e as they are in all of their e series (44mm?) Headphones. So all SR series and RS2e etc just using different wood and other housing materials and also changing the vented holes in the driver.

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #7,704 of 8,989
I contacted them and yes they are using the 60e for that headphone and they reiterated that Grado is using the exact same driver in 60e as they are in all of their e series (44mm?) Headphones. So all SR series and RS2e etc just using different wood and other housing materials and also changing the vented holes in the driver.

After my trials with SR60i, SR60e, SR80i, SR225i and SR225e drivers in wood cups, vent mod, sorbothane on the back of the driver, dynamat in the cups / back of driver and felt on the back of the buttons none came close to the RS2e in the treble extension, details, and clarity.

This is my thinking of the drivers used:
Driver one: 60e, 80e and 125e
Driver two: 225e and 325e
Driver three: RS2e and PS500e (possibly GH-1 & 2)
Driver four: RS1e, GS1ke, PS1ke (50mm drivers)
Driver five: GS2ke

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #7,705 of 8,989
  After my trials with SR60i, SR60e, SR80i, SR225i and SR225e drivers in wood cups, vent mod, sorbothane on the back of the driver, dynamat in the cups / back of driver and felt on the back of the buttons none came close to the RS2e in the treble extension, details, and clarity.

Agreed. Despite my misgivings and suspicions aside, after hearing the different models I have listened to, I think there is a difference between the drivers (even though they are visually indistinguishable from each other in the "i" versions and prior). 

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #7,706 of 8,989

That sounds very very possible. I would not be surprised if your driver theory was correct.

So has anyone here actually heard the twin pulse by spirit labs? I was far too interested in it so I ended up talking to them and bought the twin pulse Ragnar edition :grin:

Very excited to hear it. Four e series Grado drivers in a nice aluminum shell with balanced cables. Interesting indeed.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #7,707 of 8,989
That sounds very very possible. I would not be surprised if your driver theory was correct.

So has anyone here actually heard the twin pulse by spirit labs? I was far too interested in it so I ended up talking to them and bought the twin pulse Ragnar edition :grin:

Very excited to hear it. Four e series Grado drivers in a nice aluminum shell with balanced cables. Interesting indeed.

​I haven't heard anyone who as heard the twin driver version but a friend had a one of their PS series clones (single driver) and he didn't keep it since it wasn't that good to him.  He said that the treble was grainy and the bass sounded like a Grado with too many vents open where the quantity was a bit too much and it was a touch muddy / one-note to him. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #7,708 of 8,989
​I haven't heard anyone who as heard the twin driver version but a friend had a one of their PS series clones (single driver) and he didn't keep it since it wasn't that good to him.  He said that the treble was grainy and the bass sounded like a Grado with too many vents open where the quantity was a bit too much and it was a touch muddy / one-note to him. 

Ah I see. They are telling me this is their best creation yet so I'll post impressions once it comes in.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #7,710 of 8,989
​Hope they sound as good as they say they are and would love to see how the double driver arrangement looks

Yea definitely. I'm usually pretty blunt about what I hear and have great hearing so I'll fill ya in about it once I give it some listening. Fingers crossed that it's at least somewhat on the same level as my RS2e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back