Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 28, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #38,971 of 48,562
Has anybody had time to properly test Dolby atmos for headphones on the Xbox?

I wondered what setting i have to leave game audio on? Surround or stereo?

I know at the moment games don't support and it's more like an upmix but still not sure what setting to go with. I tried battlefield 1 with stereo and surround but to be honest I'm not really able to tell a difference.

Once games support it (gears 4 should be one of the first soon), what is the correct setting?

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #38,972 of 48,562
Has anybody had time to properly test Dolby atmos for headphones on the Xbox?

I wondered what setting i have to leave game audio on? Surround or stereo?

I know at the moment games don't support and it's more like an upmix but still not sure what setting to go with. I tried battlefield 1 with stereo and surround but to be honest I'm not really able to tell a difference.

Once games support it (gears 4 should be one of the first soon), what is the correct setting?

Surround. Although I don't own an Xbox, I don't know how it will be implemented in games. It could be that GOW4 might have Dolby Atmos for headphones baked in and won't need any other settings changed. But if XBONE gives you the option to enable Dolby Atmos for headphones, more likely within the audio settings of a game you must set it to surround or 5.1/7.1 so that DA can downmix it to Stereo for you to hear VSS to your headphones.

Jun 28, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #38,973 of 48,562
https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blasterx-ae-5

Seems like Creatives new internal sound card is already on sale and will be on sale soon on amazon. Kind of want to try it out to see how it compares to my old SB Z and Asus Xonar DG with Schiit Modi 2 Uber/Cayin C5 Amp.

I am pretty sure they will eventually release an external sound card since the G5 is a love and hate sound card, with most people really not liking it for it's processed surround sound (SBX). If they do release an external version, I hope they make it compatible for consoles.

But comparing the AE 5 with the SB Z, hardware wise, it should be better especially with it's 1ohm output compared to SB Z (15ohm?)

Jun 29, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #38,976 of 48,562
From what I've read is the HD700 is a real face tweater being even brighter than HD800, which is considered too bright for many. I like the HE-560 when I heard it. It has a smoother sound than a stock HE-6 and is easier to drive.

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #38,977 of 48,562
https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blasterx-ae-5

Seems like Creatives new internal sound card is already on sale and will be on sale soon on amazon. Kind of want to try it out to see how it compares to my old SB Z and Asus Xonar DG with Schiit Modi 2 Uber/Cayin C5 Amp.

I am pretty sure they will eventually release an external sound card since the G5 is a love and hate sound card, with most people really not liking it for it's processed surround sound (SBX). If they do release an external version, I hope they make it compatible for consoles.

But comparing the AE 5 with the SB Z, hardware wise, it should be better especially with it's 1ohm output compared to SB Z (15ohm?)
It has a ****ing RGB HEADER so the RGB strips can pulse with the music. How stupid (and dangerous if you're epileptic) is that?

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #38,978 of 48,562
Surround. Although I don't own an Xbox, I don't know how it will be implemented in games. It could be that GOW4 might have Dolby Atmos for headphones baked in and won't need any other settings changed. But if XBONE gives you the option to enable Dolby Atmos for headphones, more likely within the audio settings of a game you must set it to surround or 5.1/7.1 so that DA can downmix it to Stereo for you to hear VSS to your headphones.

Thanks for your reply. I guess once games are patched to support it, there will be a proper setting in the option. I'll run with surround settings for now.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #38,979 of 48,562
It has a ****ing RGB HEADER so the RGB strips can pulse with the music. How stupid (and dangerous if you're epileptic) is that?

Well lol there are some builds with all RGB/LGBT color scheme, so I guess that's good for them. Not my style but if they took off that RGB stuff from the AE-5, Ill gladly pay $100 USD for it.

Jun 30, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #38,980 of 48,562
Hey guys thanks for the advice on the previous page. Since Massdrop lowered the price down to 200 I ended up going in and committing on the 6xx drop. Just need to find something small and portable now that will be capable of driving them on the go, even if they are not the overall best gaming headphones for that price I feel like it's a worthwhile investment and will be great for many other things.

Jun 30, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #38,981 of 48,562
Hey guys thanks for the advice on the previous page. Since Massdrop lowered the price down to 200 I ended up going in and committing on the 6xx drop. Just need to find something small and portable now that will be capable of driving them on the go, even if they are not the overall best gaming headphones for that price I feel like it's a worthwhile investment and will be great for many other things.
Audioquest dragonfly? It's not easy to get smaller than this

Jul 2, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #38,982 of 48,562
Jul 3, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #38,983 of 48,562
Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted here. Sorry for double post!!

Hi guys, I am in the market for a new set of headphones. Budget is 300 USD.
I have owned the following products:

Philips Fidelio X1 together with a Creative Soundcard: great sound stage, fantastic midrange and treble but very muddy base (too muddy for my taste). I very much like Creative's SBX for positional audio and prefer it over DTS and Dolby. SBX Positional audio seems superior for gaming over Dolby.

the Logitech G930's: the soundstage is not quite as wide as the Fidelios but still adequate. Alas, they failed me after a 7 year run. I like Dolby surround and it gives good positional cues.

Steelseries Arctis 7: sound tinny, I returned the product within hours

Astro A50: Amazing sound, the best of all headphones I have ever owned - especially for music. Nice flat sound, with none of the bass, midrange or treble sounding exaggerated. The bass is the best of any headphone I have owned, delivering a solid punch without over emphasizing it. Alas the sound emanates from within my head and the soundstage with Dolby enabled is abysmal. I have to concentrate hard to tell where a particular sound came from.

One caveat is that the headphones need to be wireless - I am aware that a compromise is likely built in to any solution I might find.

In short, positional audio is important but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality if possible.

Thanks in advance for any tips and insights you can offer!

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #38,984 of 48,562
I had the 600ohm 990s. All three need some amping however. A soundcard can amp relative efficient headphones, but I'm not so sure about the three Premium Beyers. Probably best off with the 250ohm as the 32ohm is more expensive and seems to be even harder to drive than the 250ohm...

1. "The MA900 in all honesty, shares a lot with the HD650 with some key differences, which I'll touch upon in the comparison section."

Hi there, I can't find this comparison section of yours. Would love to read some comparison between MA900 and HD650. Thanks a lot

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #38,985 of 48,562
Hey, im looking for a new pair of headphones.

My budget is around 100 euros (dont mind if less). I could get a pair of AKG K-612 Pro for 116€ if they are really good.

What im mainly looking for is a pair of headphones which are really good for FPS. For me its important that they have a great soundstage so I can hear enemy steps easily. Is the AKG K-612 Pro a good choice for that? Or What about a cheaper one, a superlux (if anyone has heared about that brand).

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back