Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 11, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #38,927 of 48,566
Holy moly, I just realized that Xbox One had some new surround options after reading the last couple pages of this thread.

I tried both Windows Sonic for Headphones and Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

Windows Sonic sounds a lot better to me than both the regular Dolby Digital from the Astro Mixamp and the Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

Atmos sounds kind of unrealistic and almost tinny with lots of distance between you and the sounds making it a bit harder and taking longer to realize where the sound is actually coming from. Windows Sonic sounds rich and realistic with great positional audio. I can instantly tell where the sounds are coming from.

Both sound better than the Astro Mixamp's built in Dolby Digital IMO.

Jun 11, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #38,929 of 48,566
I'm away from home until early next month. Soon as I get home I'll be downloading and trying both options. I've read almost everywhere that the Microsoft version is better right now. Both versions will probably get updates down the road.

Next level VSS at the console level, is exactly what I've been hoping for, for a long time. Let's hope it can really improve sound for headphone gamers.

Jun 11, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #38,930 of 48,566
How are you using it? What's your chain? I didn't care for Dolby Atmos with games but haven't tried Windows Sonic yet.

Xbox One to Astro Mixamp through Optical (Mixamp surround & processing disabled) and then I feed my Mixamp signal to my Master 11's amp.

Although I suppose I could even bypass the Mixamp with this for a shorter chain and better quality and go optical from Xbox straight to my Master 11's optical in. I wonder if that would work?

Although I would need a solution for microphone chat. I guess I could connect microphone straight to the controller and have voice chat output through speakers in the options.

Jun 12, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #38,931 of 48,566
Awesome, thanks! I'm not sure if the mixamp is required as your not sending encoded 5.1. Optical to Master 11 would be the best option but the voice chat through speakers is horrible as there is no way to adjust the volume, voices are always too quiet compared to game audio, which is too bad. It would be super simple to make a volume mixer like the one on the controller that was just an option when you enable voice chat through speakers. Give it a try though.

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #38,932 of 48,566
You should REALLY look into the Monoprice M1060. I love them for gaming, and they have serious bass. The thread on them here is intense, with people modding them for different reasons. I've added Vegan LCS2 pads to mine for comfort. These are way better then my AKG K702 Annies. You lose some soundstage on the M1060, but it is still very good. The bass is really good, I really love planar bass.
For last 3 years I used wired astos heaphones with their good gaming sounds and exceptional microphone when doin ops in games with other people- dont recall, believe were $320 and back then , there was no good alternative- went to 3 other micd sets before the astros. Purchased a Monmoprice M 1060 this week so what microphone would you use for gaming conversations in discord or skype when gaming with other people? I now use focusrite 2i4 (connects to computer by usb, about $240)rather than my creative Zxr sound card with its pcie slot & daughtercard because I wanted to run my MSI gtx 970's in sli w 3 monitor setup 144 mhz. Surprisingly the focusrite is as good sound as ZxR and the ZxR needed a reboot almost every day on my asus motherboard, otherwise windows 10 usually did not find the sound card- was frustrating. So what microphone with the M1060

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #38,933 of 48,566
Holy moly, I just realized that Xbox One had some new surround options after reading the last couple pages of this thread.

I tried both Windows Sonic for Headphones and Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

Windows Sonic sounds a lot better to me than both the regular Dolby Digital from the Astro Mixamp and the Dolby Atmos for Headphones.

Atmos sounds kind of unrealistic and almost tinny with lots of distance between you and the sounds making it a bit harder and taking longer to realize where the sound is actually coming from. Windows Sonic sounds rich and realistic with great positional audio. I can instantly tell where the sounds are coming from.

Both sound better than the Astro Mixamp's built in Dolby Digital IMO.

Its interesting that you say that. I don't have an xbox, but I am using the virtualization in windows. I tried both atmos and windows sonic, and felt the exact opposite of you. Windows sonic to me sounded tinny and artificial and sounded like it had a lot of compression artifacts, whereas dolby atmos gave me a much more natural, full sound, that doesnt sound artificial. And the positional audio works great for me with atmos (didnt test much with windows sonic because I didnt like the way it sounded). But I should also mention that I was previously gaming (for a few years) with a soundcard that used Dolby Headphone and very much enjoyed it and was used to it.

Jun 14, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #38,934 of 48,566
I find Dolby atmos for headphones to have too much reverb just like Dolby headphone, where windows sonic does sound more natural.

Am I right in thinking that I need to leave game audio settings on stereo and the codecs do the rest or should I switch to surround in the game options (if available)?

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #38,935 of 48,566
Hi folks. Can anyone tell me how the Sennheiser HD 598s compare/contrast with the 599s? I can get both for pretty much the same price. They'd be mainly used for gaming, but also some music listening.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #38,936 of 48,566
Hi folks. Can anyone tell me how the Sennheiser HD 598s compare/contrast with the 599s? I can get both for pretty much the same price. They'd be mainly used for gaming, but also some music listening.
IMO. the 599 is a solid improvement over the 598 in both sound and aesthetic. If they're the same price, the 599 is a no-brainer for me.

Jun 14, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #38,937 of 48,566
Its interesting that you say that. I don't have an xbox, but I am using the virtualization in windows. I tried both atmos and windows sonic, and felt the exact opposite of you. Windows sonic to me sounded tinny and artificial and sounded like it had a lot of compression artifacts, whereas dolby atmos gave me a much more natural, full sound, that doesnt sound artificial. And the positional audio works great for me with atmos (didnt test much with windows sonic because I didnt like the way it sounded). But I should also mention that I was previously gaming (for a few years) with a soundcard that used Dolby Headphone and very much enjoyed it and was used to it.

I actually ended up switching back to the regular Dolby surround of the Mixamp. While Sonic does sound more realistic, in certain situations the surrounding noises that I was listening for were way too close to me even though the person making the noise was not that close. Therefore, I would be kind of thrown off as to what the position of said person was. Everything is much louder and clearer with Sonic but sometimes everything sounds too close to you.

EDIT: I actually ended up trying Atmos with the Focal Utopia (which has a intimate soundstage usually not the greatest for gaming) and the combo actually works surprisingly well. Will be experimenting more with this.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #38,938 of 48,566
I actually ended up switching back to the regular Dolby surround of the Mixamp. While Sonic does sound more realistic, in certain situations the surrounding noises that I was listening for were way too close to me even though the person making the noise was not that close. Therefore, I would be kind of thrown off as to what the position of said person was. Everything is much louder and clearer with Sonic but sometimes everything sounds too close to you.

EDIT: I actually ended up trying Atmos with the Focal Utopia (which has a intimate soundstage usually not the greatest for gaming) and the combo actually works surprisingly well. Will be experimenting more with this.

As a PS4 pro owner, I'm very jealous of these system level, output options. I'm feeding my X7 with Dolby, but this is pretty slick.

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #38,939 of 48,566

So it seems that the Atmos option is really glitchy at the moment because it goes from sounding great to all of a sudden sounding very tinny and unrealistic and at times filled with static. When it is working properly, it sounds better than the other options available IMO but unfortunately this great sound doesn't last very long with the glitches.

As a PS4 pro owner, I'm very jealous of these system level, output options. I'm feeding my X7 with Dolby, but this is pretty slick.

Yes, it's nice to see they are making an effort at improving sound options.

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #38,940 of 48,566
For last 3 years I used wired astos heaphones with their good gaming sounds and exceptional microphone when doin ops in games with other people- dont recall, believe were $320 and back then , there was no good alternative- went to 3 other micd sets before the astros. Purchased a Monmoprice M 1060 this week so what microphone would you use for gaming conversations in discord or skype when gaming with other people? I now use focusrite 2i4 (connects to computer by usb, about $240)rather than my creative Zxr sound card with its pcie slot & daughtercard because I wanted to run my MSI gtx 970's in sli w 3 monitor setup 144 mhz. Surprisingly the focusrite is as good sound as ZxR and the ZxR needed a reboot almost every day on my asus motherboard, otherwise windows 10 usually did not find the sound card- was frustrating. So what microphone with the M1060

I use an Antlion Modmic 4.0. It isn't cheap, but it is a really good mic. Now Massdrop has just launched a microphone similar to the Modmic at $25. Here is a link to their microphone option. I ordered one, but it is going to be a few months until I get it (Just how Massdrop works if you don't know). Here is a link to Antlion's website. B&H Photo has the Modmic at $50 right now, which was the cheapest in a quick search (no tax outside of NY state).

I have the little 3M bases attached to 4 of my headphones. The cable management clips work decently. It is nice because you can take the mic off and use the headphone as normal with a little, mostly unnoticeable circle that magnetically holds the mic in place. I can and do knock the mic off of the base a lot, so the Massdrop version which will be using Velcro, is more appealing to me. I will most likely have both mics in use regularly, as I switch headphones a lot. The Massdrop Mic will be used on my M1060 solely, and the Modmic will be attached to my 2.5mm cable that I use on my Hifiman Edition X V2, and newly modded to 2.5mm, Fostex TH-X00 Ebony.

On the Massdrop link, they have sound examples. Here is a video comparing both at the same time:

The first page of this thread has other examples, and maybe others can chime in on what they use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back