Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 23, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #38,897 of 48,564
Hi Guys,

Wondering if any of you can help me, up until recently Dolby Atmos for my headphones was working, now all of a sudden it no longer works.

For some reason it just stopped, I go through the setup and every time it takes me the spatial little pop window to select Dolby Atmos I click it and it just minimizes that window and will not select Dolby Atmos or do anything. I can use windows sonic 7.1 in the spatial settings no issues but can not at all activate dolby atmos.

I use Realtek High Definition Audio via the Asus Supreme FX sound card that's built into my motherboard via S/PDIF (audio optical cable) connected directly to my PC from a chord mojo that is connected into a Schiit Jotunheim for my amp (if any of this info even matters I don't know)

I use windows 10 pro 64bit as well, and I just don't get it as it was working, now it will not work at all I select the drop down and again it just minimizes the spatial options window and will not let me continue with the set up process at all.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

May 23, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #38,900 of 48,564
Okay so im reading the skull candy plyr1 review and see that it encodes dolby surround Itself, through the base and headphones, right? Does this mean that, if for example, you pair this with the Soundblaster Z, you can more or less switch between using SBX Studio or Dolby Headphone just by turning one or the other off?
That would be kinda neat in its own way I guess. Probably real good for people that want to compare the two on otherwise identical equipment.

Great guide by the way: i like how Mad Lust rates things, more down to earth gamer style as opposed to audio-elitist like you get from other review sites. Fun v. Competition is a pretty informative metric in its own right, and the focus on virtual 7.1 surround is exactly what im looking for.

It's also really helped me narrow down HP choices; i'm looking for a good all-rounder considering ill be using it for game/movies/music with virtual 7.1 surround. Music genres tend towards rock/metal/industrial/EBM and epic orchestrals.
Debating between the Creative Aurvana($65), HD598 SE($157), PC360($123), Fidelio X2($232), DT 990($148) and K612 Pro($115) for my desktop.

Will probably get the Koss KSC75($16) for mobile use with my ZTE Axon 7 phone(I hate IEM's).

Anyone know if any of the above headphones would suit my needs better than the others?

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #38,903 of 48,564
What is good enjoyable headphone similar to porta pro? maybe up to 100$
It can have more bass but mostly similar in comfort. Could be closed

Also, ksc75 or porta pro for sp gaming ?

edit: And most important question - I am a big fan of porta pro (all I write about recently).
and I have fiio e10k. If I wanted to get into pc gaming audio and virtual sound, what is the best way to go about it? Internal or some external card ?
would prefer external liko fiio, because I can easily plug headphones below monitor

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #38,904 of 48,564
No it's definitely not that at all, the option to buy it no longer exists at all.

I have this same issue. If you look at the app history, they disabled the purchase option because it was causing problems for people who had the trial installed. One of the updates said they fixed this, but I am on the latest version and it's still disabled for me. I thought it did a decent job, but I plan on purchasing a hardware based solution for VSS.

May 26, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #38,906 of 48,564
Has there ever been any consensus on what the "best" headphones for gaming are? Or at least what are best at their various price points?

I think it is user dependent. Single player I strongly prefer immersion, so bass heavy headphones are my go to.

Online I want less bass so I can hear footsteps and other key audio clues.

If they're only used for gaming or also music can matter as well. Everyone hears things differently and what you prefer may be drastically different than another user.

Personally I use my HE-X V2 for online with their great soundstage and bass when needed. I use the M1060 or TH-X00 Ebony for single player because they're more immersive.

Cheaper options, I prefer the AKG K702 Annies for online (soundstage), and Beyerdynamic DT990 for immersion (not bad online headphones either). I do not like either of these for music though, though some people really do.

I've found I prefer Planar headphones overall through the years, and typically listen to those. The TH-X00 are something special for a Dynamic driver. YMMV.

May 27, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #38,907 of 48,564
I think it is user dependent. Single player I strongly prefer immersion, so bass heavy headphones are my go to.

If they're only used for gaming or also music can matter as well. Everyone hears things differently and what you prefer may be drastically different than another user.

Personally I use my HE-X V2 for online with their great soundstage and bass when needed. I use the M1060 or TH-X00 Ebony for single player because they're more immersive.

Cheaper options, I prefer the AKG K702 Annies for online (soundstage), and Beyerdynamic DT990 for immersion (not bad online headphones either). I do not like either of these for music though, though some people really do.

I've found I prefer Planar headphones overall through the years, and typically listen to those. The TH-X00 are something special for a Dynamic driver. YMMV.
So you'd say the DT990's are good all-rounders for the most part? I'm basically on the lookout for a set of 'cans in the sub-$200 range that are good jack of all trades types, since I kinda intend to use them for, well, everything. A blend of 'fun' and 'competitive' by mad lusts metrics, thats immersive and fun without drowning out subtle cues much. I don't want to sacrifice too much bass and warmth just to hear someones footsteps from 900 feet away with psychic precision, but I still wanna be able to hear things coming from a good distance off. Only types I really like are over ear open back as well.

I see you have the 250ohm Dt990's as well; any Actually difference between that and the 32ohm ones(just assuming you checked both and grabbed the 250's) or as MLE put it there's really not much of a difference?

May 27, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #38,908 of 48,564
So you'd say the DT990's are good all-rounders for the most part? I'm basically on the lookout for a set of 'cans in the sub-$200 range that are good jack of all trades types, since I kinda intend to use them for, well, everything. A blend of 'fun' and 'competitive' by mad lusts metrics, thats immersive and fun without drowning out subtle cues much. I don't want to sacrifice too much bass and warmth just to hear someones footsteps from 900 feet away with psychic precision, but I still wanna be able to hear things coming from a good distance off. Only types I really like are over ear open back as well.

I see you have the 250ohm Dt990's as well; any Actually difference between that and the 32ohm ones(just assuming you checked both and grabbed the 250's) or as MLE put it there's really not much of a difference?

MLE describes the DT990 very similarly to how I hear them. They are really good for gaming, and don't give up much for competitive MP. The hard V shape can make music listening tough if you're sensitive to aggressive highs. I honestly don't mind them for music, but I think I'm in the minority there.

Differences between the 80, 250, 600 ohm I think MLE summed up very well. Differences, but very subtle. I only chose the 250 because it came in ALL black. No other reason.

Actually you may want to look into the Sennheiser/Massdrop PC37X. I still haven't gotten much head time with them, but at $119 with mic, they're a screaming good deal. Good bass, soundstage, and do equally well with gaming and music. Don't know if you need a mic. It isn't detachable, but if they don't leave the house that shouldn't be an issue.

May 27, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #38,909 of 48,564

Do Fostex have a more internationally friendly equivalent of the TH-X00? I've thought about joining a drop but once you figure in shipping and import tax they are getting up into rarefied air.

May 27, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #38,910 of 48,564
Do Fostex have a more internationally friendly equivalent of the TH-X00? I've thought about joining a drop but once you figure in shipping and import tax they are getting up into rarefied air.

Look into the Fostex TH-610 or E-Mu Teak. The Massdrop version kills people out of the US. E-Mu I believe ship from Singapore, and have detachable cables. They're $50 more than the TH-X00 (on Massdrop), but removable cables are definitely worth that much. The Fostex TH610 is sold worldwide and comparable to the TH-X00. You can Google Fostex Variants and find plenty of info that describe the differences between them. Innerfidelity did a comparison I know of offhand. There are threads here from a few people.

I modified my TH-X00 Ebony for detachable cables, which involves modifying the wooden cup, the wire cut through hole, the driver plastic housing ring, and soldering. This is not a task for people without proper tools or problem solving ability on the fly. You can easily screw this up. I went with 2.5mm female adapters so I could use my HE-X V2 cables. I plan to use my TH-X00 on the go so a detachable cable was a must for me.

Emu has a thread here and Chan is the owner. They are based in Singapore so that may or may not help. I would try emailing him directly.

You could also look in the classifieds here, and maybe someone in your country is selling them used. Good luck, import taxes and shipping to certain countries is unreal expensive, I couldn't imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back