Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 9, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #38,866 of 48,566
It should work as long as you keep the mixamp around 75% volume and adjust the rest on the amp

What is the reason for keeping Mixamp at 75%? (as opposed to 100%).

I run my Mixamp at 100%. It has some hiss if I turn up my amp loud enough. But at normal listening levels it's not very audible.

May 9, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #38,867 of 48,566
What is the reason for keeping Mixamp at 75%? (as opposed to 100%).

I run my Mixamp at 100%. It has some hiss if I turn up my amp loud enough. But at normal listening levels it's not very audible.

I usually keep things around that mark to prevent distortion and clipping when double amping. The mixamp is quite weak (32ohm I believe) and leaving it on full blast might cause some issues.

May 9, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #38,868 of 48,566
Has anyone any experience with the HyperX Cloud Revolver? I've never heard them myself but from what I have read their sound signature is basically the Takstar pro 80s (HyperX Clouds) with the base distortion fixed and 30ohm impedance.

May 10, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #38,869 of 48,566
Guys, i need a virtual surround device, is there anything good on the market that is not on the first page? I was thinking of going for the mixamp, budget is around that, but i think that they might be releasing a new version soon, the last a40's model came out on august of 2015 i think...

May 11, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #38,870 of 48,566
I have tested both G5 and E5

E5 uses SBX pro and G5 uses BlasterX Acoustic Engine, based on my testing it is just different name for both.. they use same HW and therefore surround sounds the same, literally absolutely the same. Creative just used different software name it seems. (And I SUSPECT that x7 is the very same surround, as based on videos and screenshots it has the same slider and pointer at 67% as E5.)

E5 has Crystal voice function but if you turn it off you get microphone noise (Antlion ModMic 4)
G5 does not have this function in software but it seems enabled by default, there is no mic noise whatsoever, so microphone noise suppression seems to be on by default and I did not find a way on how to turn it off.

Basically after all, the ONLY real difference between E5 and G5 is battery and bluetooth support in E5 and the price is NOT worth it for a PC gamer.
Also E5 USB is not acting like a HUB for PC so you cannot connect for example wireless transmitted for your mouse in to this port (I have my g403 wireless transmitter in my G5 and it works awesome)

The surround itself seem to be working fine at 67% and I personally think it is personal preference whether you like old SBX or new SBX/BXAE.
Also.. old SBX devices all have high output impedance and only G5/E5 have 2.2 ohm which is great for sensitive headphones like HD558/HD598
For comparison, SB omni has 15 ohm OI, SB Z has 22 ohm OI, for best headphone performance you need to have lower OI than impedance of your headphones so HD558/HD598 work flawless on 6.5ohm and less output impedance.

To me personally, playing Playerunknown's Battlegrounds.. G5 is very accurate with 7.1 surround sound and with EQ changes to lower highs a bit (basically change eq to my preference and headphones signature) I have absolutely no issues with it. I will keep it and return the E5 tommorow.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #38,871 of 48,566
Just buy an X7 and be done with it. The Mixamp SUCKS for music, any mode, doesn't matter. To properly amp the headphones you may use, you're looking at Schiit Magni 2 or similar. That isn't cheap.

X7 can be found for $299, and is so much better with tons of new options.

You can feed a separate DAC with SBX from the X7. You can feed any amp you want with RCA cables, with SBX. the included amp is VERY good. Op amp swaps can also really improve every aspect of it.

You can't beat the X7 as a great and worthwhile gaming/movies surround machine. With EQ, you can dial in any headphone how you like!

I'm hoping for an updated version at some point. Until then, X7 is perfect.

May 13, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #38,872 of 48,566
Now that we're on the subject, what happened to the X7 thread? I can't find it.

May 13, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #38,875 of 48,566
Thanks, for some reason the thread disappeard from my subscription list

I suppose x7 has the very same virtual surround as e5 and g5 so why the hell somebody playing with headphones only would buy an x7 over g5.. for gaming.
According to several people here, it's not the same. The G5 sounds distinctively different from the E5 and X7. Also, X7 has better dac/amp section and is able to drive balanced headphones (via speaker outs).

May 13, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #38,876 of 48,566
Dude
I had both e5 and g5 tested 2 days ago
Surround is exactly the same.
I even recorded (using "what you hear") sound files from 5.1 and 7.1 test files that I directly compared by playing them on direct mode with sbx disabled
No difference at all.
I returned e5 yesterday.. keeping g5
Bxae used by g5 is just different name to sbx pro used by e5
Might be that x7 uses old sbx because it supports 5.1 virtual surround only but considering the software looks almost exactly the same to e5 (it even suggests using 67% surround) I'd say that all three use the very same virtual surround processing (they also use the same DSP, and also headphone amp but that should not be related I guess)

Could be that people got confused and triggered placebo effect that g5 is bad.. but in direct test they are the same.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #38,877 of 48,566
Dude
I had both e5 and g5 tested 2 days ago
Surround is exactly the same.
I even recorded sound files from 5.1 tests files that I directly compared.
No difference at all.
I returned e5 yesterday.. keeping g5
Bxae used by g5 is just different name to sbz pro used by e5
Might be that x7 uses old and because it supports 5.1 virtual surround only but considering the software looks almost the same to e5 I'd say that all three use the very same virtual surround processing (they also use the same DSP processor)
I meant the surround isn't the same between the G5 and X7. I'll have to search the G5 thread for the posts mentioning that but I do remember other people mentioning the G5 surround was way worse than the X7.
Also, no difference between 5.1 and 7.1 as far as audio virtualization is concerned.

May 14, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #38,878 of 48,566
Hi guys, does anyone have any experience with wireless solutions? I've got an HD598 and DT1770 (recommendation from another user, was brilliant during my time owning it) that I'm selling and I'm hoping to get a pair that I can use with my PC and PS4 and ideally have surround available for the latter also.

I know that the wired options I had are superior but I'm tired of the wires and have my mind set on wireless.

I have a few ones in mind and I'm prioritising something less "gamey" but if that can't be avoided then it's not the end of the world.

I'm considering these at the moment and my max budget would be around €500 or £400
- LucidSound LS40
- Logitech G533
- Steelseries Siberia 800/840

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #38,879 of 48,566
Woah, new forum! I'm scared and confused....

Anyway, does anyone here have experience with the HD800 and the HE-400i? For purely surround purposes, does the huge cost premium of the HD800 have any justification in the surround implementation over the 400i? I realize for other audio purposes they are great but I'm talking strictly surround imaging. As crazy as that sounds....

May 15, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #38,880 of 48,566
While not directly answering your question, I find that planars resolve 3D positioning, especially with surround sound, far better than dynamics.

The in your head or 3 blob imaging of planars works very well when surround sound processing is used since DSP pushes the audio away from you. I find that while dynamic headphones give a more realistic soundstage with stereo content, the added depth of 3D processing makes sounds seem too distant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back