Your Top 3 Favorite Headphones in Appearance
Jul 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #23 of 63
Im just picking my favorite looking. I don't own any of these although in a few weeks I'll have the LA 7000 Lite XD

1. Denon LA 7000
2. Ultrasone Edition 8
3. AKG Q701 (white)

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #25 of 63
Ultrasone Edition 8's

Pioneer SE-L40

And my own HFI-780's
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #26 of 63
Dayum Ultrasone phones look sexy. I've always leaned away from buying them though as a reliable audiophile once told me they tend to be a bit overpriced for their sound quality. 
Quote:
Just in looks?
Sony MDR-F1:
(they look better in person; less monochrome)
Ultrasone Edition 10:

Ultrasone Edition 7:

I'd say the ESP/950 is a close 4th as well (but I didn't want to list just headphones I actually own
redface.gif
). The Grado woodies are neat too - +1 to all of those.

Jul 3, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #28 of 63
Quote:
Fostex TH900

Agreed. They're absolutely stunning, and certainly one of the nicest looking headphones currently on the market in my humble opinion. The bordeaux lacquer finish by the 110-year-old Sakamoto Urushi Manufacturing Co. uses sulfur-smoked silver foil flakes and it creates a gorgeous cosmic nebula effect with a subtle metallic finish. Also the Fostex logos are done in platinum leaf. You really have to see it in person to get the full effect; personally I could stare at it for a long time.

Quote:
Ultrasone Edition 7

The Edition 7 and Edition 9 have always appealed deeply to my sensibilities, and as nice as the Edition 8 looks aesthetically, I definitely prefer the look of the former two. The Edition 7 especially has some kind of hold over me with its cobalt enamel in combination with brass logos, white leather and cables. It's not a particularly cohesive design, and it's almost an eclectic mess, but the effect is just so bold and striking. There's also a certainly appealing absurdity to the fact that it has so much plastic on it, essentially using the same frames as their cheapest headphones; in a way it takes the roots of their design philosophy and gussies it up to make a statement, which I actually quite like, though I find the reason for this difficult to articulate.

​
And then there's that gorgeous wooden presentation box. The Edition 10's is pretty sturdy and nice, but it looks downright understated in comparison. Plus I think that lighter color wood goes very well with the darker blue finish of the headphones.

I've been looking for a mint set of these for quite a while now. It seems they never come up on the sales forum despite there being 999 made. I've seen headphones with far smaller runs come up far more often.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #29 of 63
Right now, in no order: Pioneer SE-L40, AKG K701, KRK KNS 8400.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #30 of 63
Dayum Ultrasone phones look sexy. I've always leaned away from buying them though as a reliable audiophile once told me they tend to be a bit overpriced for their sound quality. 

How would the F1 stand up to the V6/7506, the HD-202 II, the HD-201, the UR40, the Pro4AA, or the Pro4AAT?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back