Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
Jan 17, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #331 of 388
  I only used the KSC75' drivers on the parts express headband or the sportapro headband, which changes the sig (for the better I'm sure). But I never thought that the KSC75's sound anything but great, so "go figure" is right! But, I might just have to find me a pair of KTXPRO1's to try out :)

Pushing them closer to your ears does the same thing, and that didn't improve the sound, in my opinion.

Here is how I would rank the three Koss headphones I own: UR40 > KTXPRO1 >> KSC75

The UR40 is more like a reference headphone (relatively speaking) with plenty of excitement too...the KTXPRO1 is slightly more exciting, but less accurate, with boosted bass and lower mids...and the KSC75's only two redeeming qualities for me are the sparkly (sometimes gorgeous) treble and sense of openness due to it resting away from your ears.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #333 of 388
  Sennheiser HD600

You posted that a week ago.
biggrin.gif

If we're going that high in budget, then my favorite headphone in that category is the STAX SR-207. Heck, (and I've said this all over Head-Fi, so sorry to those who have already read this from me) the SR-207 sounds more realistic to me than any high-end non-electrostat. (Though it doesn't have all the "technicalities" of the flagships, so I guess it still qualifies as "not the best".)

On that note, since the Koss UR40 tries to be more like a reference headphone, it's not as impressive in a way, because countless others (albeit at higher price ranges) beat it as reference headphones...whereas the KTXPRO1 has more colorations so I don't compare it as much to more accurate headphones. Its colorations are part of what make it so special.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #335 of 388
A few more of my favorite "not the best" Headphones:

ZMF version 2, fantastic tuning of a T50rp mod!

W1000x, just stunning with female vocals

Fisher FA-011, strange, euphoric signature that is not reference, but unique in its own way

AKG 240 Sextetts EP, another unique sound signature, bassy, rich and open. excels with acoustic

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #336 of 388
Jan 22, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #342 of 388
Awesome!  Great to find one that does not require a complete rebuild. I'll bet it pushes those T50's quite well indeed
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #343 of 388
KSC-75 and D2000

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #344 of 388
Another flawed gem: the Creative Aurvana Live! (first version). Surprisingly good sound, very comfortable (improved further by replacing stock pads with Brainwavz pads), disappointing build quality.

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #345 of 388
Wanted a cheap pair of earphones for the gym, so I decided to grab Shure's SE215. Turns out that for cheaper-end earphones, they're actually quite bloody good! Bass isn't the most accurate but gets quite deep without smothering the higher frequencies. Pretty decent mids. Somewhat recessed highs but still ok. So they're not perfect, but they're good fun and easy to listen to, especially when you just want to hear music as opposed to listen to it... if that makes sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back