Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
Jan 23, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #361 of 388
For me, my favorite go-to headphone varies for each situation, but in general, It was a toss-up between the Bose On-Ear (the first one), the Koss PortaPro and the Koss Pro DJ200.

Now, though, since I figured out what a parametric equalizer can do for headphones, sound doesn't matter quite as much to me as it used to. Comfort and durability matter most, then sound as a close second, then looks. 

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #362 of 388
  For me, my favorite go-to headphone varies for each situation, but in general, It was a toss-up between the Bose On-Ear (the first one), the Koss PortaPro and the Koss Pro DJ200.

Now, though, since I figured out what a parametric equalizer can do for headphones, sound doesn't matter quite as much to me as it used to. Comfort and durability matter most, then sound as a close second, then looks. 

If you have the art of parametric EQ down, I would recommend trying the Shure SE115. They can be had used for cheap now and once the overwhelming bass and sub bass are eq'd out the transformation in them is jaw on the floor.

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #363 of 388
If you have the art of parametric EQ down, I would recommend trying the Shure SE115. They can be had used for cheap now and once the overwhelming bass and sub bass are eq'd out the transformation in them is jaw on the floor.

I googled those and was instead redirected to Shure SE112 headphones ($50). Amazon does have Shure SE-115 listed but shown as currently unavailable and notes that "there is a newer model of this item," and links to Shure SE-112 GR.

Guess they have been discontinued. :disappointed:

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #364 of 388
I googled those and was instead redirected to Shure SE112 headphones ($50). Amazon does have Shure SE-115 listed but shown as currently unavailable and notes that "there is a newer model of this item," and links to Shure SE-112 GR.

Guess they have been discontinued. :disappointed:

Yup. Thats why they go for cheap on the used market. They are a bassheads wet dream, unitl you slap the bass out of em with an EQ and all of a sudden you are left stunned with that "Didn't know you had it in you" feeling.

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #365 of 388
Yup. Thats why they go for cheap on the used market. They are a bassheads wet dream, unitl you slap the bass out of em with an EQ and all of a sudden you are left stunned with that "Didn't know you had it in you" feeling.

Surprisingly, I didn't see any used for sale on Amazon, except some pink ones.. For > $400. :smirk:

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #366 of 388
Surprisingly, I didn't see any used for sale on Amazon, except some pink ones.. For > $400. :smirk:

I'll sell you my black ones for half that:)

I think ThievesBay is the way on that.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #367 of 388
A few more, got some PMs from some folks who like the photo format, hope it is not annoying to anyone.

HD 650 (comfort mod) Not the best, but with the right amp it is close.....

HE-400, so close to being great, darn treble spike....

DT 990, open, bassy, great imaging, Bright

Q-40, (gel pads)good bass nice sound signature, soundstage lacks

MA900 Light as a feather, good sound stage, nice mids, no scaling at all (it is what it is)

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #368 of 388
A few more, got some PMs from some folks who like the photo format, hope it is not annoying to anyone.

Keep bringing them, please. :relieved:. I say that in spite of the fact that I'm adding some of these to my internal wish list as a result, much to the consternation of my checking account. :smirk:

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #369 of 388
Eventually of course, you will have to tell us just what "The Best" are so we have a frame of reference.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #370 of 388
DT1350s are my absolute favorite for straight out of the player. They look nice, isolate well, are conveniently tiny + could probably take more mini-nukes than my last FO4 character can afford. I love my other stuff for when I'm at home sitting in a quiet room with a bunch of wires and ****, but realistically that is not always the case lmao.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #372 of 388
I guess mine is the original Sennheiser HD 800. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back