Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
Jan 22, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #346 of 388
Wanted a cheap pair of earphones for the gym, so I decided to grab Shure's SE215. Turns out that for cheaper-end earphones, they're actually quite bloody good! Bass isn't the most accurate but gets quite deep without smothering the higher frequencies. Pretty decent mids. Somewhat recessed highs but still ok. So they're not perfect, but they're good fun and easy to listen to, especially when you just want to hear music as opposed to listen to it... if that makes sense?
Haha... perspective. I'm glad you like your SE215s. They near the top of my purchase list. Though I personally don't consider $100 IEMs "cheap". Granted you can spend a great deal more but most people don't. I consider $25 IEMs cheap. For the purpose of this thread and on the subject of cheap my vote for "not the best" has to be Knowledge Zenith's ED9 and ED10. At around $12, dollar for dollar they are amazing!

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #348 of 388
More of my favorites. (not the best)

Dt150, (comfort mod) Alpha pads just fantastic, but ugly

Shure 1540 Nothing special, but does nothing wrong

Q701 (leather mod)(bass mod) great with tubes

Ultrasone Pro 2900, easy to drive, sounds good (not a fan of Ultrasone, but have only heard the mid-fi from them)

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #349 of 388
I suppose it's all relative, but I just walked over to my co-worker's office, who cherishes his Shure 1540 headphones (and they happen to be both the most expensive and best headphones between us), and we laughed at the characterization of them as "nothing special." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #350 of 388
I suppose it's all relative, but I just walked over to my co-worker's office, who cherishes his Shure 1540 headphones (and they happen to be both the most expensive and best headphones between us), and we laughed at the characterization of them as "nothing special." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Guess my wording should have been chosen more carefully, nothing emphasized would be more appropriate. I like the way they are voiced a lot.

If anyone has an interest in any of headphones I have been posting the last couple of days feel free to shoot me a PM for a quick strengths/weakness Opinion on them.

Jan 22, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #351 of 388

I'm too fickle to have a single favorite pair of "not the best," but these are what I'm listening to now and I love the warm sound. The bass is definitely emphasized with nice resonance (might be a using terms, newbie) , but mids and highs are sweet, and separation is quite decent.

Symphonized Wraith 1.0 Cherry, wood cups (lacquered, though). Quite good for $38 on a lightening deal from Amazon.

Jan 22, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #352 of 388
Guess my wording should have been chosen more carefully, nothing emphasized would be more appropriate. I like the way they are voiced a lot.

If anyone has an interest in any of headphones I have been posting the last couple of days feel free to shoot me a PM for a quick strengths/weakness Opinion on them.

You worded it quite carefully and inoffensively, actually, I must say. :)  In fact, you rather complimented them by saying, "does nothing wrong," in my view, and in my non-professional opinion, that's what I would say about them, too.  To my ears, they come across as very accurate, with nice, controlled bass but not what I'd call a "fun sound."  

And frankly, I'm just jealous that I don't have all the cool HP's you have. :D

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #353 of 388
Sony MDR MA900....just got them this week and I like them better than several I've tried over the last several months including the Philips X2, Oppo PM-3, HiFiMan 400s and the Grado 325e. I know MA900 is not technically better than them and most people wouldn't place them in the category of those headphones but the comfort is out of this world and it has a nice bass response for an open back. They also sound great just out of an iPhone and are much cheaper than those other headphones. Never knew about them either until recently and am glad I found them.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #354 of 388
More of my favorites. (not the best)

Dt150, (comfort mod) Alpha pads just fantastic, but ugly

Those are so ugly, they're beautiful! 
biggrin.gif
  But, I've heard lots of good stuff about the DT150's, so who cares how they look!

As far as the Ultrasone's are concerned, I tried out my buddy's 2500's for a few weeks and loved them.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #355 of 388

I'm too fickle to have a single favorite pair of "not the best," but these are what I'm listening to now and I love the warm sound. The bass is definitely emphasized with nice resonance (might be a using terms, newbie) , but mids and highs are sweet, and separation is quite decent.

Symphonized Wraith 1.0 Cherry, wood cups (lacquered, though). Quite good for $38 on a lightening deal from Amazon.

Daughter bought me a pair for Christmas, now I have to open the package and try them.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #356 of 388

Daughter bought me a pair for Christmas, now I have to open the package and try them.

Well, you've managed to hold off for almost a month lol! 
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #358 of 388
Sony MDR-7506. At home I generally listen to my Fidelio X1's, which are fantastic, but at work I use the 7506's with a Vali amp, Dragonfly DAC, and either FLAC or 320KB MP3's. As fantastic as my X1's sound, the 7506's sound amazing and I'm continually impressed with them, particularly in the setup / chain that I have going. They're so classic I just love them. I also put the Beyer velour pads on so my ears don't get so hot. I'm sure they're not THE BEST, but for $80 they are fantastic.

Do you not find them super harsh in the mids? I owned a pair for a little while but traded them for xone xd53 (gen 1). Those are now my fav (cheapish if you get lucky like me) headphone.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #359 of 388
Do you not find them super harsh in the mids? I owned a pair for a little while

The person you quoted hasn't posted on Head-Fi since January 2015, so I doubt he'll reply. I will, though!

I owned both the Sony MDR-7506 and V6. The 7506 is one of the most bright, harsh, and tinny headphones I have ever heard. Shame on anyone (especially "pro" reviews like this one) who calls this headphone neutral. (The fact that a headphone is used in studios has absolutely nothing to do with how neutral it is. In fact, studios use headphones with all sorts of sound signatures.) It improves very much with equalization.

Here's a cool thread along with my post from it:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/773799/sony-mdr-v6-and-7506-owners-of-both-can-you-hear-a-difference

I just got a Sony MDR-V6. Owned the MDR-7506 for months. The V6 basically sounds like a slightly better 7506. Not as bright and harsh, though there is still high frequency distortion. The overall sound is a bit more authoritative, probably due to stronger bass and lower mids. Since it's not as forward and dramatic, and the detail isn't thrown in your face as much as with the 7506, I can't tell if the V6 has more or less resolution, but it's definitely easier to listen to. I suppose you could say it's more refined. But bright recordings still sound wayyy too bright on these. As long as there aren't those type of frequencies in the music, it's a pretty good headphone. And of course, I'm sure it would sound better with EQ. The 7506 improved dramatically with the Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone preset. I probably won't bother swapping pads, but it is interesting that the very comfortable HM5 pads are compatible.

but traded them for xone xd53 (gen 1). Those are now my fav (cheapish if you get lucky like me) headphone.

Speaking of that XONE headphone...I noticed that various headphones (including that one) use what looks like the same frame as the Ultrasone HFI 780. (Which is the only Ultrasone I have owned. It was okay.)

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #360 of 388

Users who are viewing this thread

Back