Your advice on a new headphone
Dec 16, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #47 of 101
can't find m100 to be shipped in italy unfortunately even on amazon (and i think it's a bid over my budget 
biggrin.gif
)
i can only find crossfade lp, which i think isn't as good as m80 right ?

If you see in the list above any wrong pro/con or missing pro/cons please add them so i can choose easily.

Again, theese are the music styles that i mostly listen : electro house - house - commercial house - dubstep - rock - hard rock - metal - heavy metal - alternative - classica - jazz - rythm and blues - pop - rap

So bass is the most important thing (comming from xb500) but also mids and highs must be there 
biggrin.gif

for now because of the price and pro/cons list above this is the preference chart :

1- v-moda m80
2- beyer dt770 80 ohm
3- hfi 580
4- akg k167
5- beyer cop

for now :

beyer 770 80ohm : approx 140-150 euro shipped

pros : great sound quality - great bass -  great comfort - isolation not superb but ok
cons : mids recessed -  very long wire - not replaceable wire - will not give 100% of it's potential unamped, on iphone and pc

beyer cop : approx 135 euro + VAT = 170 euro

pros : good sound quality - can be played unamped - good bass, great comfort - isolation not superb but ok
cons : is a demo - total price - doesen't sound as good as dt770 -

v-moda m80 : approx 150 euro shipped (maybe a little less, 135-140 euro) shipped

pros : great sound quality - replaceable wire - can give full potential uunamped - isolation not superb but ok
cons : bass is not for bass head as xb500 or beyer 770 - on the ear, and may hurt after short period. so comfort is not superb 

ultrasone hfi 580 : approx 140 euro shipped

pros : very good sound quality - decent bass - good isolation
cons : s-logic (i still don't know it it's a pro or con so for now i put it as a con) - comfort isn't superb

akg k167 : approx 140-145 euro + vat = approx 175 euro 

pros : great sound quality - very good bass  - very good isolation
cons : total price - long wire not replaceable

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #48 of 101
Quote:
can't find m100 to be shipped in italy unfortunately even on amazon (and i think it's a bid over my budget 
biggrin.gif
)

If you see in the list above any wrong pro/con or missing pro/cons please add them so i can choose easily.

Again, theese are the music styles that i mostly listen : electro house - house - commercial house - dubstep - rock - hard rock - metal - heavy metal - alternative - classica - jazz - rythm and blues - pop - rap

So bass is the most important thing (comming from xb500) but also mids and highs must be there 
biggrin.gif

for now because of the price and pro/cons list above this is the preference chart :

1- v-moda m80
2- beyer dt770 80 ohm
3- hfi 580
4- akg k167
5- beyer cop

for now :

beyer 770 80ohm : approx 140-150 euro shipped

pros : great sound quality - great bass -  great comfort - isolation not superb but ok
cons : mids recessed -  very long wire - not replaceable wire - will not give 100% of it's potential unamped, on iphone and pc

beyer cop : approx 135 euro + VAT = 170 euro

pros : good sound quality - can be played unamped - good bass, great comfort - isolation not superb but ok

v-moda m80 : approx 150 euro shipped (maybe a little less, 135-140 euro) shipped

pros : great sound quality - replaceable wire - can give full potential uunamped - isolation not superb but ok
cons : bass is not for bass head as xb500 or beyer 770 - on the ear, and may hurt after short period. so comfort is not superb 

ultrasone hfi 580 : approx 140 euro shipped

cons : s-logic (i still don't know it it's a pro or con so for now i put it as a con) - comfort isn't superb

akg k167 : approx 140-145 euro + vat = approx 175 euro 

s-logic is a pro imo

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #51 of 101
please let's not go off topic, it's already hard enough to choose between those staying focused on the thread 
redface.gif

anyways from what i read they should be a bit better

bump for the headphones choice

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #52 of 101
Quote:
can you explain why, and what it does ? i really can't understand it from the reviews

"S-Logic" basically distributes the sound in a way that makes you think that there are speakers all around your head.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #53 of 101
can't find m100 to be shipped in italy unfortunately even on amazon (and i think it's a bid over my budget :D )

So bass is the most important thing (comming from xb500) but also mids and highs must be there :D

1- v-moda m80
2- beyer dt770 80 ohm
3- hfi 580
4- akg k167
5- beyer cop

for now :

beyer 770 80ohm : [COLOR=B22222]approx 140-150 euro shipped[/COLOR]

beyer cop : [COLOR=B22222]approx 135 euro + VAT = 170 euro[/COLOR]

v-moda m80 : [COLOR=B22222]approx 150 euro shipped (maybe a little less, 135-140 euro) shipped[/COLOR]

ultrasone hfi 580 : [COLOR=B22222]approx 140 euro shipped[/COLOR]

cons : s-logic [COLOR=B22222](i still don't know it it's a pro or con so for now i put it as a con) [/COLOR]- comfort isn't superb

akg k167 : [COLOR=B22222]approx 140-145 euro + vat = approx 175 euro [/COLOR]

DT770-80 Ohm has wide soundstage. :) Happen to audition the Crossfade LP, mids are recessed & highs are crisp where as the lows are annoying to me(I'm not a fan of bass & lows). Drum kicks are nice on these.

Since you are planing to get one E6 amp, you should not worried about amping required or not eh? Since DT770-80 Ohm sound better than COP in which-ever where, cut it out of the list & stop thinking about it to make life easier XD

Since you are looking for some sort of bass-heavy kind if headphone, M-80 should be out of the list[once again]

If the total price on the K167 is/are out of your budget, you should either cut it out of your list & stop thinking about it or start saving a bit more for it :)

That left you with DT770 & HFI-580. For HFI-580, you might have to suffer the highs at some point a little. Part of it's high frequency are recessed(very). If I were you, I would either save up more for K167 or get the DT770(althought the mids are recessed but it's only slightly recessed) straight off & never look back for K167. xD As for long cable, you can manage it with some DIY or get a cable manager. For DIY, for your information, DO NOT use rubber band to tangle your cables as it will add in too much force into it & kill the cable. :)

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #54 of 101
Quote:
DT770-80 Ohm has wide soundstage.
smily_headphones1.gif
Happen to audition the Crossfade LP, mids are recessed & highs are crisp where as the lows are annoying to me(I'm not a fan of bass & lows). Drum kicks are nice on these.
Since you are planing to get one E6 amp, you should not worried about amping required or not eh? Since DT770-80 Ohm sound better than COP in which-ever where, cut it out of the list & stop thinking about it to make life easier XD
Since you are looking for some sort of bass-heavy kind if headphone, M-80 should be out of the list[once again]
If the total price on the K167 is/are out of your budget, you should either cut it out of your list & stop thinking about it or start saving a bit more for it
smily_headphones1.gif

That left you with DT770 & HFI-580. For HFI-580, you might have to suffer the highs at some point a little. Part of it's high frequency are recessed(very). If I were you, I would either save up more for K167 or get the DT770(althought the mids are recessed but it's only slightly recessed) straight off & never look back for K167. xD As for long cable, you can manage it with some DIY or get a cable manager. For DIY, for your information, DO NOT use rubber band to tangle your cables as it will add in too much force into it & kill the cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

so do you actually confirm that m80 is not a heavy bass headphone like xb500 or even dt770 and hfi 580 ? damn 
frown.gif

well i plan to get an amp but for now i will buy only the cans, as i already just took another pair of xb500 to replace my broken one, so not enough money for both cans and e6. 

maybe in february i will buy the amp, that's why i want a pair of cans that can still be good without amp

unless i manage to find a pair of akg under 150 euro for now i think it will go out of the list, same thing for beyer cop

that leaves me with only 3 choices... dt770 the real pain in the butt is the cable for me... i would like to cut it, don't want any cable managers or any diy things that in all cases will take place in my pocket 
frown.gif

isn't it possible to open the cans and cut the wire to the desired length and then to solder it to the cans ? or will thet screw up quality (and warranty of course) ?

i still have hfi 580 and vmoda in the list as alternatives to the dt770... i really don't want a long cable, that's why actually i don't use my v700dj when i go out and i went buying another pair of xb's

vmoda for the repleacable cable and still the good audio quality even if not for basshead (i hope to find a demo pair) and hfi 580 for quality and bass....

so beyer dt770 it one of the two finalist ... wich one should be the other then ?

hfi580 or v-moda m80 ? music styles, price, pro/cons listed some posts before... 

then i will choose between the final two 
beyersmile.png

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #56 of 101
Quote:
so do you actually confirm that m80 is not a heavy bass headphone like xb500 or even dt770 and hfi 580 ? damn 
frown.gif

well i plan to get an amp but for now i will buy only the cans, as i already just took another pair of xb500 to replace my broken one, so not enough money for both cans and e6. 

maybe in february i will buy the amp, that's why i want a pair of cans that can still be good without amp

unless i manage to find a pair of akg under 150 euro for now i think it will go out of the list, same thing for beyer cop

that leaves me with only 3 choices... dt770 the real pain in the butt is the cable for me... i would like to cut it, don't want any cable managers or any diy things that in all cases will take place in my pocket 
frown.gif

isn't it possible to open the cans and cut the wire to the desired length and then to solder it to the cans ? or will thet screw up quality (and warranty of course) ?

i still have hfi 580 and vmoda in the list as alternatives to the dt770... i really don't want a long cable, that's why actually i don't use my v700dj when i go out and i went buying another pair of xb's

vmoda for the repleacable cable and still the good audio quality even if not for basshead (i hope to find a demo pair) and hfi 580 for quality and bass....

so beyer dt770 it one of the two finalist ... wich one should be the other then ?

hfi580 or v-moda m80 ? music styles, price, pro/cons listed some posts before... 

then i will choose between the final two 
beyersmile.png

In bass quantity department, XB-500 has far more than most headphone. More than DT770 & M80 too. 

opening the earcups to cut the cable to prefered lenght might void the warranty for sure. However, I am not sure if cutting the cable at the middle of the lenght will or not XD

M80 has fuller bass than HFI-580[judging by graph]. In mids department, both as their own recessed side but it's very little. As for highs, thw HFI-580 are recessed @ around 8k where high or sharp crashes and bangs are located at.

How long will you be listening a day with headphone btw? 
beyersmile.png

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #57 of 101
The M-80 has more bass quantity and impact than the K167 FYI. OP I would read up more on the M-80s they are great cans especially for portable use. Soundstage is decent for an on ear, not the widest but not congested.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #58 of 101
Quote:
In bass quantity department, XB-500 has far more than most headphone. More than DT770 & M80 too. 

opening the earcups to cut the cable to prefered lenght might void the warranty for sure. However, I am not sure if cutting the cable at the middle of the lenght will or not XD

M80 has fuller bass than HFI-580[judging by graph]. In mids department, both as their own recessed side but it's very little. As for highs, thw HFI-580 are recessed @ around 8k where high or sharp crashes and bangs are located at.

How long will you be listening a day with headphone btw? 
beyersmile.png

so i guess v-moda m80 wins vs hfi 580 ?
well... generally i will use it on the go for 2 hours approx, daily.... but i may use it also for 4-5 hours straight at home (even if i think that i would use xb500 for comfort, but it would be nice no have a pair of cans that i can use for a long time and not be obliged to use only xb's)
Quote:
The M-80 has more bass quantity and impact than the K167 FYI. OP I would read up more on the M-80s they are great cans especially for portable use. Soundstage is decent for an on ear, not the widest but not congested.

roma101 i see that you previously had akg181dj : is it good or not so good/worth the price ? for almost the same price i can get m80 and beyer dt770
i just saw now some videos of m80 and the earcup seems very small... i knew it was on ear but didn't think that earcups were so small... that's a big con for comfort, is it's going to hurt my ears after an hour or two... are the earpads soft ot hard ?

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #59 of 101
Ear pads on the M-80 are very soft. Comfort will be subjective but I found them to be the most comfortable supra-aural I have. That said you can always stretch the headband a little if you feel discomfort on your ears. Because of their small size and great sound I feel like these are so handy in many situations, whether in portable use or at home.

The K181s are great headphones and very underrated. They have a wide soundstage for a supraaural and they are balanced across the board. I ended up selling them because for me personally, they were a bit bulky for portable use. They are also made with a stiff plastic - I was never sure how it would hold up in the long run. If you can, try to hunt for lower prices on the K181 since it is an older headphone. You might be able to score a pair for $100 or lower.

I don't have the 770 but I would imagine they'd be more comfortable but slightly bulky.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #60 of 101
So I see you picked the m-80 vs the dt770. The reviews on the dt770 says that basically all that the headphone is good with is bass. I know you love bass, but the vocals and mids get really recessed with these cans. But the build quality is great and they'll last. Personally, I'd go with the m-80's, because they're good at bass, and great with everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back