Your advice on a new headphone
Dec 12, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #16 of 101
Quote:
I'm listening to the sony ex10lp right now.  For the price I don't think you can beat them (at least here at $15).  They have good bass and even some sub bass when it is needed.  The mids are pretty good and the highs have good brightness but not sibilant.  The only thing that really lack is wider separation and depth and all the stuff you get with a high price headphone, but that doesn't mean those aren't good.  Everything on these is great, just not as great.  The build quality is decent and if cared for will probably last a long time, but that is probably where they cut most of their cost.  They also don't have any accessories other than tips.  So, if you think about it, they might be equivalent to $30 headphones without the accessories.  Not sure.  But for $15 they are definitely worth it.  They have what I would call the sony signature sound, if you know what they're cheap headphone highs sound like you know what i mean.  They aren't amazing, but they really have no big flaws.  They can seem bright and sometimes dry sounding, but have reasonable balance for the price. :) Just my two cents.

great to know, i was wondering if they were good quality. i can have them for 9 euro, so not expensive at all and it's very interesting... did you, by chance try any other in ear that i've put in the list ? i read good reviews on the philips she series and the jvc hafx1x and was wondering if it was worth spending thoose extra 10 euro

thank you 
redface.gif

edit : i also added the sony mdr xb21ex in the in ear list

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #17 of 101
Quote:
great to know, i was wondering if they were good quality. i can have them for 9 euro, so not expensive at all and it's very interesting... did you, by chance try any other in ear that i've put in the list ? i read good reviews on the philips she series and the jvc hafx1x and was wondering if it was worth spending thoose extra 10 euro

I haven't tried the others unfortunately, however, for the price I don't think it's possible for the quality to be that much better.  You might get better bass, I'm not familiar with those models, but the 3x10lp is a good amount of bass.  They aren't perfectly neutral headphones, more of a V shaped curve, but the bass isn't really boosted either per se.  They are not "bass" headphones as some are designed to be.  But the bass for the size/price is very good.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #18 of 101
i see what you mean. they stay as n°1 in my cart for now, only waiting to see if someone has tried both the ex10lp and one of sennheiser and/or philips just to compare. for the little price difference if there is a general improvement in sound quality i will consider the others, if not then i'll go with sony 
biggrin.gif

just a question about the cable/cord. is it rigid (someway like apples headphones cable) or does it twist and get tied easily ?
is it also comfortable in the ear ? does it "stay" in place or it kinda has tendancy to move and not stay in place needing to be pushed back in the ear ?

Dec 12, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #20 of 101
Quote:

thank you 
biggrin.gif
 i think i'll go for the e6, now only remaining question is about the headphones and in-ear and it will be only a matter of purchase 

theese are the only 3 remaining questions for the headphones, list is updated again 
redface.gif

Just checked out ATH-PRO700MK II & HFI-580 frequency graph. I do find the ATH highs are recessed. & according to GoldenEar, the bass are not that tranparent! 

Check out this guys' review! http://www.head-fi.org/t/556509/review-battle-of-the-entry-level-rivals-ultrasone-hfi-580-vs-audio-technica-m50-vs-pro700-mk2 

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #21 of 101
Quote:
I don't know if anyone else said this, but yes, the v-moda's are almost made for people on the go. So no amp required, and they're super durable too.

thank you, it's good to know in case i find a pair but unfortunately there are no vmoda's on italian karket, and even on european scale i couldn't find any, that's why they're not in my list.
Quote:
Just checked out ATH-PRO700MK II & HFI-580 frequency graph. I do find the ATH highs are recessed. & according to GoldenEar, the bass are not that tranparent! 

Check out this guys' review! http://www.head-fi.org/t/556509/review-battle-of-the-entry-level-rivals-ultrasone-hfi-580-vs-audio-technica-m50-vs-pro700-mk2 

thanks for the link. from what i just read in the review i guess than in bass quantity xb500 > both hfi 580 and ath pro700 mk2, is that correct ?
comfort doesn't seem to be as good as xb500 on either... and beyer custom one pro looks a lot comfy...

it's getting more complicated to choose now... and don't understanding a clue of graphics and specifications doesen't help 
frown.gif

right now it's beyer custom one pro vs hfi 580 vs ath pro700mk2 vs akg k167

the only thing stopping me regarding the beyer it the maximum input as i stated before, can anyone explain what this means ?

I like (at least at the first view) the beyer custom one pro, but i see in the specs that the maximum input is 100mW.
when compared to my v700dj i see that this one has 3000mW, the xb500 1600mW, the ATH pro700mk2 also has 1600mW...
so i would like to know what does it mean this maximum input, and being so low compared to my actual headphones (and others in the list) what will be the consequences ? lower overall sound ? lower quality ? or what else

for the other, except akg k167 i already seen a review, only thing remaining is akg compared to the other to have a more clear idea.

take as default comparison headphones xb500 for comfort, sound quality etc if possible, it will help me choose easyer.

thank you again to all of you

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #22 of 101
Quote:
I don't know if anyone else said this, but yes, the v-moda's are almost made for people on the go. So no amp required, and they're super durable too.

Yep I just checked the spec sheet, and they are quoted at 28.5ohms , thats probably the lowest impedance I have seen on a headphone...

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #23 of 101
Quote:
thank you, it's good to know in case i find a pair but unfortunately there are no vmoda's on italian karket, and even on european scale i couldn't find any, that's why they're not in my list.
thanks for the link. from what i just read in the review i guess than in bass quantity xb500 > both hfi 580 and ath pro700 mk2, is that correct ?
comfort doesn't seem to be as good as xb500 on either... and beyer custom one pro looks a lot comfy...

it's getting more complicated to choose now... and don't understanding a clue of graphics and specifications doesen't help 
frown.gif

right now it's beyer custom one pro vs hfi 580 vs ath pro700mk2 vs akg k167

the only thing stopping me regarding the beyer it the maximum input as i stated before, can anyone explain what this means ?

for the other, except akg k167 i already seen a review, only thing remaining is akg compared to the other to have a more clear idea.

take as default comparison headphones xb500 for comfort, sound quality etc if possible, it will help me choose easyer.

thank you again to all of you

Yes, you are right! XB500 has the most bass output out of all your choices but other than bass quantity & comfort there's nothing else comparable. It's super comfortable because of it's relatively thick & big earpads. 

Hmm... In short, I will not choose ATH-PRO700 MKII for comfort. Read some reviews regarding those ATH headphone, all have the "clamping" force problem. 

Found review on the AKG 167! http://www.head-fi.org/t/636439/akg-k167-ti-sto-discussion-impression-review-appreciation-thread 

My take on these 4 headphone would be Custom Pro = AKG K167 > HFI-580 > ATH-PRO700 MKII

Just my 2cent :) 

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #24 of 101
i read the akg thread about 3-4 hours ago, and after reading it it made the choice easier, at least in the list.

now it's, as you also said : beyer - akg k167 - hfi 580 - ath pro700mk2

i also read something about teh input power, but i'm not shure of what it does actually...

beyer's max input is 100 mW, and akg k167's is 2000mw.... so i want to understand what does that stand for ? will it change anything in quality/volume ?
i am only going to use the headphones to play music/watch movies/play games on iphone, ipad, and pc. no professional use, will not be plugged in any mixer or professional monitor device.

now i can take a demo beyer for approx 150-160 euro shipped, and a brand new akg k167 for 180-190 euro shipped....
so i guess it's the final showdown... pros and con's of each one, and especially that max input thing if possible 
biggrin.gif

i'll give some music styles that i mostly listen to make things more clear

electro house - house - commercial house -  dubstep - rock - hard rock - metal - heavy metal - alternative - classica - rythm and blues - pop - rap .... basically almost everything, but mostly those...

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #25 of 101
Volume is/are effected by SPL, sound pressure level. The higher, the louder. I have no idea what those max input means... According to my "brain logic" XD all amp has different input for different impedance. Will take E6 & K167 for example.

E6 output power: Output Power: 150mW (16Ω); 16mW (300Ω)

K167 max input: 2000mW Impedance: 32 Ohm

IF E6 gives out 150mW for 16 Ohms does that mean 1 ohm = 18.75 mW. For 32 Ohm = 600mW.

By my above "brain logic" does that mean max input = the maximum power it can afford from the amp?

That's just my "brain logic" not sure if it's right or wrong. I'm just giving this a shot & see if it's correct. xD let the true audiophile here explain better... [Please do correct me from mistake & forgive me from any calculation error because I'm real bad in math] :)

I think Custom Pro produces more bass since there's 4 position setting to boost bass. But K167 seems to have better overall sound according to the review...
Just my 2cent :)

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #26 of 101
thank you :) i'll wait for eventual better explanations

i may get an e6 amp, and still thinking on akg k167 vs beyer custom one pro. 

as i am thinking of getteing this little amp, i thought to put back in the final list also the beyer 770 80ohm (i read in a bunch of reviews that it's slighlty better tha cop).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633349/beyerdynamic-dt-770-80-vs-custom-one-pros-quick-comparison
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604570/beyerdynamic-custom-ones-new-beyer-headphones/135#post_8699697

only question before adding them in the list is : is the e6 enough  to drive them decently with an iphone/ipod etc ?

Dec 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #27 of 101
Yes, FiiO E6 should be enough to drive DT770 80 Ohm :) just get an L9 line out for your iPod for better audio signal & amp section shouldn't be a problem :)

Yea~ it does looks like the DT770 80 Ohms better than COP in every angle! Now the choice would be DT770 80 Ohm vs K167! [I think the DT770 80ohm has better highs since K167 are a little warm]

As for IEM, how much you willing to pay for it?

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #28 of 101
just to know (noob question again) why a l9 line out will give better audio signal than a normal audio jack plugged from the ipod/iphone to the amp ? i would use that only on iphone because my ipod is a shuffle 
biggrin.gif
 so if it doesen't give a hell of improvement against a good quality audio jack i would rather go for the audio jack instead.

yeah, it's a never ending choice... k167 vs dt770 80ohm vs beyer cop vs hfi 580

for iem, well... the best bang for the buck with a budget limit of 25-30 euro if it's worth it against the sony ex10lp (10 euro)

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #29 of 101
Quote:
Volume is/are effected by SPL, sound pressure level. The higher, the louder. I have no idea what those max input means... According to my "brain logic" XD all amp has different input for different impedance. Will take E6 & K167 for example.
E6 output power: Output Power: 150mW (16Ω); 16mW (300Ω)
K167 max input: 2000mW Impedance: 32 Ohm
IF E6 gives out 150mW for 16 Ohms does that mean 1 ohm = 18.75 mW. For 32 Ohm = 600mW.
By my above "brain logic" does that mean max input = the maximum power it can afford from the amp?
That's just my "brain logic" not sure if it's right or wrong. I'm just giving this a shot & see if it's correct. xD let the true audiophile here explain better... [Please do correct me from mistake & forgive me from any calculation error because I'm real bad in math]
smily_headphones1.gif

I think Custom Pro produces more bass since there's 4 position setting to boost bass. But K167 seems to have better overall sound according to the review...
Just my 2cent
smily_headphones1.gif

It's the exact opposite. Ohms are the resistance of the circuit. So the more you have of them, the weaker the power output will be. It's basically inversely proportional.
So in your case at 32ohms, the power output will be 2 times less, wich means 75mW. (This is an approximate, since we are talking about impedance wich is not linear like pure resistance)

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #30 of 101
Quote:

It's the exact opposite. Ohms are the resistance of the circuit. So the more you have of them, the weaker the power output will be. It's basically inversely proportional.
So in your case at 32ohms, the power output will be 2 times less, wich means 75mW. (This is an approximate, since we are talking about impedance wich is not linear like pure resistance)

i am getting more confused actually...

when you say that the max output will be 75 mW you mean the max output usking the k167 and the fiio E6 ?
e6 outtput power : 150mW at 16 ohms = 75 mW using a 32ohm headphone like akg k167 ? is that correct ?

so if this is correct that means that e6 + dt 770 would give a max output of approximately 30mW ?

i have to ask... if what i just calculated is true... what can the max outuput of the dt770 80 ohms, or akg k167 be without an amp like e6 ??? from a source like iphone for example

Users who are viewing this thread

Back