Your advice on a new headphone
Dec 15, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #31 of 101
Quote:
just to know (noob question again) why a l9 line out will give better audio signal than a normal audio jack plugged from the ipod/iphone to the amp ? i would use that only on iphone because my ipod is a shuffle 
biggrin.gif
 so if it doesen't give a hell of improvement against a good quality audio jack i would rather go for the audio jack instead.

yeah, it's a never ending choice... k167 vs dt770 80ohm vs beyer cop vs hfi 580

for iem, well... the best bang for the buck with a budget limit of 25-30 euro if it's worth it against the sony ex10lp (10 euro)

L9 is a LOD cable for iDevices with 30Pin. It allows us to bypass iPod internal amp. If you are using 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack, we call it "double amping" that will increase distortion. 

As for IEM, you can try Moshi Moonrock! :)

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #32 of 101
Quote:

It's the exact opposite. Ohms are the resistance of the circuit. So the more you have of them, the weaker the power output will be. It's basically inversely proportional.
So in your case at 32ohms, the power output will be 2 times less, wich means 75mW. (This is an approximate, since we are talking about impedance wich is not linear like pure resistance)

Quote:
i am getting more confused actually...

when you say that the max output will be 75 mW you mean the max output usking the k167 and the fiio E6 ?
e6 outtput power : 150mW at 16 ohms = 75 mW using a 32ohm headphone like akg k167 ? is that correct ?

so if this is correct that means that e6 + dt 770 would give a max output of approximately 30mW ?

i have to ask... if what i just calculated is true... what can the max outuput of the dt770 80 ohms, or akg k167 be without an amp like e6 ??? from a source like iphone for example

I get it now! So basically the higher your impedance, the less power. The lower your impedance, the higher power! So say XBA-4 at 8 Ohm, that will be 300mW. For impedance at 32 Ohm = 37.5 Ohm! Is it somethin like that? XD 

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #33 of 101
Quote:
L9 is a LOD cable for iDevices with 30Pin. It allows us to bypass iPod internal amp. If you are using 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack, we call it "double amping" that will increase distortion. 

As for IEM, you can try Moshi Moonrock! :)

i see, but will it be a big increase of distortion ? i mean something noticeable if iphone's eq is off ? anyways for my shuffle i would have to take a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack, will that increase distortion then ?

for the moonrock i didn't find a lot of reviews, but from what i've seen they seem to be ok, but not excellent for the price (here 40 euro, so way over my budget 
biggrin.gif
)
Quote:

I get it now! So basically the higher your impedance, the less power. The lower your impedance, the higher power! So say XBA-4 at 8 Ohm, that will be 300mW. For impedance at 32 Ohm = 37.5 Ohm! Is it somethin like that? XD 

still waiting to know if waht i calculated is true :D

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #34 of 101
i see, but will it be a big increase of distortion ? i mean something noticeable if iphone's eq is off ? anyways for my shuffle i would have to take a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack, will that increase distortion then ?

for the moonrock i didn't find a lot of reviews, but from what i've seen they seem to be ok, but not excellent for the price (here 40 euro, so way over my budget :D )
still waiting to know if waht i calculated is true :D

Distortion is not so noticeble in some cases but in sound it's a very huge different. Which generation is/are your shuffle? Older Shuffle has no buttons so it's impossible for amping :)

Okay~ I hardly get to audition IEMs but will help you search it XD :D

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #35 of 101
it's a second generation ipod shuffle.
i see then... so even with a good/very good quality 3.5 to 3.5 mm jack that sound difference would still be noticeable ? (i mean for iphone and ipod shuffle / other media devices)

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #37 of 101
damn 
frown.gif

another noob question... does this mean that if i use a 3.5 to 3.5 pluged in the e6 or other amp, the sound quality will be worst than the quality if i directly plugged the headphones in the iphone (even dt770 80 ohm) ?

bump fro headphones choice :)

yeah, it's a never ending choice... k167 vs dt770 80ohm vs beyer cop vs hfi 580

amp that i may get with any of those cans : fiio e6

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #38 of 101
Quote:

The ratio between 8ohms and 32ohms is four. So you should divide by four 300mW, wich means 75mW...

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #39 of 101
so basically with that said i should worry too much for the beyer cop having only 100 mW max input ? as i will be using an e6 amp, maybe e11 i i manage to find one at an accessible price.

still no advices on the final four ?

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #40 of 101
so basically with that said i should worry too much for the beyer cop having only 100 mW max input ? as i will be using an e6 amp, maybe e11 i i manage to find one at an accessible price.

still no advices on the final four ?

COP sound better than HFI-580 in my opinion, & DT770 80 Ohm sound better than COP in every angle. I am pretty sure that DT770 80 ohm has better soundstage than K167. I think COP & HFI-580 both out of the list eh?

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #42 of 101
damn :frowning2:
another noob question... does this mean that if i use a 3.5 to 3.5 pluged in the e6 or other amp, the sound quality will be worst than the quality if i directly plugged the headphones in the iphone (even dt770 80 ohm) ?

bump fro headphones choice :)

amp that i may get with any of those cans : fiio e6

Nope :)

Directly using iPhone/iPod is/are noticeably worse than 3.5mm to 3.5mm amping. Using LOD cable is/are then again noticeably better than 3.5mm to 3.5mm amping. :)

My pick of all those 4 to better pair with E6 would be: DT770 80 ohm :)

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #43 of 101
Quote:
Hello to everyone, I am new on the forum :) have been reading only for a few days this forum that i just discovered to find out which headphone should i buy.

I will start by saying a few things that may help you to help me 
biggrin.gif

I listen to practically every kind of music, don't have a style, i can go from manson to mozart ...
But actually i like a lot songs with bass and it has to be present in the headphones, that's why i choose xb500 and v700 2 years ago. But i also listen to electro, classical, rock, metal... so i guess everything must be there :D but bass is the most crucial.

When it comes to headphones, i have to say that I am not an expert, or enthusiast or anything near to that, i just love to listen to my music with a good audio quality. most of my tracks are @ 320bkps and some at 256 and 128kbps

I actually own 2 sony headphones, xb500 (now broken, i will take another one soon i think) and v700dj.
when i purchased theese it took months to decide wich one to take, and it was v700dj vs xb500 vx akg 518. finally i took the two sony's because i liked the pumped bass, the comfort and price of the xb500 over the akg, and also took the v700 because i loved the audio quality and output.

Now with my xb500 broken i have to use the v700 all the time, and there are 2 major problems :

1- when i put it on more than 30 mins it starts to hurt my ears (just prom outside because of the pads pressure)
2-the cable is way too long to take it somewhere with me, every time i have to empty a pocket just for the cable 
3-the pad's black "leather" material is coming all off and some black parts stay in my ear and the pad itself looks ugly, but that's not a big deal

Now with thoose things said, i would like to know wich headphones do you thinks would be a bang for the buck ? i read a lot of threads, and i have a lot oh headphones in the list right now... 
I have to say, i don't know a clue af impendance, ohm and all those data that you may list as pro/cons.

Only important things to me are :

-sound quality to be very good and most natural possible, and have some nice bass like xb500 and v700dj at least
-absolutely to be used without an amp, mostly on my iphone, ipod, computer and other portable devices (tablet etc)
-to be comfortable like xb500 or at least not as hard as v700j (i also remember that akg 518 were not very comfy to me) 
-to be affordable : price maximum 150 euro
-cable to be short, or at least not as long as v700dj (or if it's a headphone with repleacable cable i could buy the short cable, like for the beyer custom pro)

The headphones in my list for now are theese :

beyerdynamic 770 (80 ohm - 250ohm)
beyerdynamic custom one pro
beyerdynamic 880 (which version?)
beyerdynamic 990 (which version?)
shure 750
shure 840
shure 940
Ultrasone 750
Ultrasone 780
Ultrasone 580
Ultrasone 550
audio technica m50
audio technica pro700 mk2
denon d2000
sennheiser hd280
akg 181dj (hoping they are better than 518)

so here it is... I am sorry, i know the list is huge, nut as i have been reading and reading threads, the list became bigger and bigger... and the problem is that in italy there are not a lot of stores with all theese headphones to try... actually there are only 4-5 models generally and one of them is always that damn beats... that i really dislike.

Of course if you have any other suggestions, feel free to tell 
redface.gif

the lowest the price, the best it is.

Ah I almost forgot... I also need a pair of in ear that have clear sound quality, and a good bass... i was looking for :

-sony ex50lp but i read bad reviews...(22 euro)
-sony ex10lp (10 euro)
-sony xb21ex (25-30 euro)
pioneer se-cl07 (15 euro)
sennheiser cx300 ii (22 euro)
sennheiser cx400 ii (25 euro)
radiopaq custom [rock version - pop version - classica version] (20 euro)
philips she3570 (20 euro)
philips she3575 (20 euro)
philips she3580 (20 euro)
jvc hafx1x xtreme xplosives (32 euro)

here again, best bang for the buck, i come from apple headphones, so i guess anything will sound pretty good 
biggrin.gif

thank you all for your time 
dt880smile.png

HFI 580.
Great bass.
3.5 Stars on Cnet.
Only complaint was that the bass can be a bit overpowering while listening to some different albums.
LOOK INTO THESE!

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #44 of 101
Quote:
COP sound better than HFI-580 in my opinion, & DT770 80 Ohm sound better than COP in every angle. I am pretty sure that DT770 80 ohm has better soundstage than K167. I think COP & HFI-580 both out of the list eh?

i may have found a store that has the cop in demo... maybe... it's starting to piss me off, i am in milan a city with 1.5 milions of people and there are no stores except fnac that have more than 2 headphones in demo... 
angry_face.gif

i will call and if they have the cop i will go and see how it does sound, i hope this will help a bit 
L3000.gif

Quote:
Nope
smily_headphones1.gif

Directly using iPhone/iPod is/are noticeably worse than 3.5mm to 3.5mm amping. Using LOD cable is/are then again noticeably better than 3.5mm to 3.5mm amping.
smily_headphones1.gif

My pick of all those 4 to better pair with E6 would be: DT770 80 ohm
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
HFI 580.
Great bass.
3.5 Stars on Cnet.
Only complaint was that the bass can be a bit overpowering while listening to some different albums.
LOOK INTO THESE!

already in the list 
redface.gif
 but why hfi 580 over the others ? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #45 of 101
wow guys... i just found a vmoda m80... brand new i can have it for 150 euro shipped.

v-moda m80 crossfade vs akg k167 vs beyer dt770 80ohm vs beyer cop vs hfi 580 ?

consider the music types i am listening, the no amp thing (for now), the price and first and most importantly : the audio quality and bass quality. i am comming from xb500 and v700dj from sony, so big bass expectations.

whatever cans you think are the best over the other just give a quick pro/cons explanation to help me decide.

thanks to all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back