XBA-3/ XBA-30 thread.
Nov 8, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #136 of 1,196
Hello guys .....i received my xba-3 week ago...but for me they are bit sibilant and soundstage is not as wide....my previous iem was dba 02....So guys any special type of tips needed for them?? i have tried tips with larger hole but no benefit....any ideas??

A larger bore tip (larger hole) will create more air and treble, it can also effect the soundstage. I wouldn't recommend going for a smaller bore than the supplied Hybrid, Usually by using a smaller bore you can funnel the sound and drop highs a small amount and bring bass up. but you're at the limits I would drop in bore diameter. What you want to find is something with the similar size bore as your Hyrbid but a touch longer in length. That will allow you to tame the highs a little further. You could also try Comply which will cushion the high end a touch. Possibly a triple flange will help you out here. Or a triple flange with the longest section cut off.

have a look at some options.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/lostearbuds/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #138 of 1,196
random question since we're discussing tips.
Is it possible to locate tips with the same nozzle size as the sony hybrids but with wider bore?

I know what you're saying, it's a tough one.

What I would do in this situation is create a work around.

I would find a set of Sony tips you don't use, cut the stem off placing it on the Sony Nozzle first. That will thicken up the area and most tips with a larger stem (that are usually to big for Sony) will fit over the top.

Like an adapter.

I hope that makes sense.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #139 of 1,196

Quote:

What I am wondering is if the new XBA-30s have any improvements.

Originally Posted by Zelda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

no, just color

Actually, I don't believe it's just colour. The cable of the new XBA series seem to employ the same lateral groove that's on the MDR-1R series headphones. I talked about these groove design in my MDR-1R review. Supposedly (i.e. according to Sony) they reduce tangling.

Sonically I didn't hear any difference between the XBA-40 vs XBA-4. Unfortunately there was no XBA-3 to compare against the XBA-30. Rather interestingly, there are no XBA-3s on the 2nd hand market too :wink:. I think even locally in Japan, the XBA-3 are hot little items unless Currawong and Arnaud has bought all the stock 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #142 of 1,196
I think the XBA-4 is a pretty decent sound IEM. From what I've been reading it seems to be the the XBA-3 with extra bass extension. Was the XBA-4 worth the $350 I paid for it? No. It would have been worth $250 - $300, but not over. So if you were able to nab the XBA-3 at $100 I would say that's a heck of a deal. Actually think these XBAs got a rougher deal in reviews than warranted. I think it was simply because the sound signature were so different.

For me, the best sounding universal (instrument separation, imaging, soundstage,etc.) is still the W4. But you really have to have the right tips on it for it to perform as maximum capability. That tip is the stock oval-shaped silicone one to my ears. Now, when the ASG-2 comes out (soon), I think it will give the W4 a run for the money. I have the XBA-4 with me today. It's a very pleasant sounding IEM to my ears.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #143 of 1,196
Sorry that this is off topic, but since ericp10 mentioned it, I do agree with the W4 being a truly excellent earphone, but expensive.
I'm going to try yet another earphone, just bought off of the for sale forums, the Heir Audio 3Ai. Will let you guys know what I think of it.

Going back to topic, I spent a good 3 hours with the xba-3's today, and I just can't get over the rich, full, detailed and well extended fun sound signature.
 For whatever reason, I do like these more than what I remember liking the xba-4's. I was listening at work so didn't really have a chance to do comparison between the two, but will do so when I get a chance.

As for current pricing on the xba-3's, I got mine for $189 off of ebay, here ,    But I you may be able to get them for about $20 cheaper from another seller. Not the best bargain, but the value for the sound is excellent.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #144 of 1,196
That's a good price for the ip model. I am tempted to sell my 99 pair and snag a pair of those...

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #145 of 1,196
Quote:
Sorry that this is off topic, but since ericp10 mentioned it, I do agree with the W4 being a truly excellent earphone, but expensive.
I'm going to try yet another earphone, just bought off of the for sale forums, the Heir Audio 3Ai. Will let you guys know what I think of it.

Going back to topic, I spent a good 3 hours with the xba-3's today, and I just can't get over the rich, full, detailed and well extended fun sound signature.
 For whatever reason, I do like these more than what I remember liking the xba-4's. I was listening at work so didn't really have a chance to do comparison between the two, but will do so when I get a chance.

As for current pricing on the xba-3's, I got mine for $189 off of ebay, here ,    But I you may be able to get them for about $20 cheaper from another seller. Not the best bargain, but the value for the sound is excellent.

How do XBA3s compare to your SM3s and W3s ? Also did you get manufacturer's warranty from that ebay seller ?

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #146 of 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's a good description of what I'm hearing also. I think these might be the perfect iem's for me. The bass, mids and treble all seem very well balanced, but each range itself is rich, dynamic and layered. In general, an awesome sound
smile.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #148 of 1,196
The comments are really good, it makes me very keen.. Although I have the XBA-1, im proly only a good deal away from getting these
smile.gif

But i really hope someone have a chance to compare between XBA-3 & 4 with a bit more info

From what i am getting, the XBA-4 is picky on its source and im not sure if XBA-3 have similar issues ?

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #149 of 1,196
Quote:

From what i am getting, the XBA-4 is picky on its source and im not sure if XBA-3 have similar issues ?

I am running the xba-3 off of my Clip Zip and my Samsung Galaxy S2. No issues.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #150 of 1,196
Quote:
guys stop making me regret not buying them when they were on sale. :p

On sale again for $120 at futureshop.ca (thanks for the head's up atomikn00b!). I managed to get mine price matched, making what was already a spectacular deal even more so :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back