XBA-3/ XBA-30 thread.
Nov 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #153 of 1,196
Went the Future Shop and tried the new Monster DNA IEM because I want the iPhone controls but a 15 minutes comparison to the XBA3 and I returned the DNA's. The XBA3 is just that much clearer and detailed. The DNA sounded very good too, it's just that if you can get the XBA3 for the same price the DNA can't compete unless iPhone controls are your top priority.

Have to say the DNA's are not bad at all when compared to other $100 retail IEM's. They have pretty punchy bass, more neutral mids as compared to the XBA3, and a nice treble that is not dull or overly sparkly. Their cable was also pretty nice and I thought the controls were well done as well.

BTW FS is starting to carry the Denon line of headphones and IEM's. I hope I can try out some of their headphones soon.

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #154 of 1,196
...why do I look in this thread. I knew it was bad news. They trying to clear all of these out or something???

dweaver you tried them as in walk out the door for a few minutes then take them back for return?
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #156 of 1,196
...thanks for the heads up . I guess
wink_face.gif
.  I would sure like to experience a strictly armature set compared to these incredible T-Peos H-100 hybrids.  Chasing the dragon once again ....

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #157 of 1,196
I had a chance to audition these the other day, and compare them to the XBA-4. With the new pricing, I think they are okay... but one thing I didn't like about BOTH of them was that they had this "metallic" character to the mids, where it sounded really unnatural. The XBA-4 seems to be more tonally balanced than the XBA-3, but has more bass.

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #158 of 1,196
thanks for the impression Peculier, it might curb my interest.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #159 of 1,196
Quote:
I had a chance to audition these the other day, and compare them to the XBA-4. With the new pricing, I think they are okay... but one thing I didn't like about BOTH of them was that they had this "metallic" character to the mids, where it sounded really unnatural. The XBA-4 seems to be more tonally balanced than the XBA-3, but has more bass.

I'm a relative newbie.. so grain of salt. But I don't think I am hearing a metallic character (I'm not really sure what that would sound like tbh). Actually, I bet you were using the stock tips, right? The tips really make a big difference with these. I wasn't nearly as impressed with the sound using the stock tips. But once I put some R1 tips (with bigger bores) onto the xba3 and achieved a good seal, the sound became amazing to my ears.

Regarding being less tonally balanced than the 4's, it would be interesting to hear more opinions on that.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #160 of 1,196
One of my Canada brothers or sisters should grab me a pair. I would appreciate it.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #161 of 1,196
See there is a difference in auditioning and owning. I own as I am listening to the sweet sweet voice of Sarah Vaughan. I don't think I would enjoy her as much with anything metallic or unnatural about what I am hearing. In fact the reason why I love these earphones so much. These sound more natural to my ears than any other Armature based iem I have ever heard. But wait. 

Or I could be wrong. or currawong, or dweaver, waynenumm, or Dannybai, or tgx78. Cuz we all must love metallic mids. I don't know about you guys but thats what I look for in a $300 iem. It has to be metallic sounding. Unnatural. Otherwise why would I own one.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #162 of 1,196
Ugh and I just ordered m-100s

I think I should take up drugs. Might be cheaper than getting so into audiophilia and a few people have said drugs make music sound better lol

*I do not endorse the use of drugs*

Get high on audio.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #163 of 1,196
Quote:
One of my Canada brothers or sisters should grab me a pair. I would appreciate it.

Woulda. Coulda. But sadly sold out online now.

Nov 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #165 of 1,196
Quote:
You can definitely find a pair in-store right now though.

Right, but the store where I live (not Vancouver btw) doesn't have it, and the next nearest store is far far away. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back