Wow! The Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB (also known as "Don't go to Yodobashi" lol)
Jan 17, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #76 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course not, sorry! But shigzeo had four models to compare and you've heard only one. I'd welcome a comparison between the brass and the steel model from any head-fier.

BTW, you guys know I was kidding, right? Sarcasm is hard to translate online.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #78 of 428
fenderp, holy **** man thanks for this info. ALWAYS looking for better (non-custom) iems and i know i totally dig the balanced driver ones because i have tried all the top ones and stuck with the ie8 in the end. Rabski, hugs and kisses for pointing me to this thread. This company should go sell internationally, someone should [point them to this thread. Can someone tell me what is the name of their top model?
Thanks again head-fi community for sharing the good stuff.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #79 of 428
They do sell internationally, but only Europe and America I think. Finding a dealer is harder however. Their top model is the FI-DC1601SC which costs nigh on 2000$, but which you prefer will be more up to you and your music preferences than which is really better.

I tried both the top version and the SS model and preferred the SS (2nd top), but again, that is personal. My review should only be a few hours away.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #80 of 428
Hello everyone, just read through this thread.
The ss-model seems very interesting. Maybe we can convince pricejapan to get a batch of these (since they are only an agent i think they would be a better bet then bluetin or audiocubes).
I am only worried they might not fit in my ear and i would be stuck with them. The ie8 with normal t400 comply tips or even large comply tips do fit but the large ones are stretching it.
I wonder if someone will be able to check out their balanced armature models (although I generally prefer dynamic driver iems).
Thanks for this thread,
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #81 of 428
^ Pricejapan don't order batches, you tell them what you want and they get it for you. That's why it takes them a few days to ship the item, at least IME.

BTW after realizing there won't be a comparison between the brass and steel model here anytime soon, I decided to pull the trigger on the brass ones (FI-DC1601SB), for two reasons: First, I prefer the matte brass finish to the shiny bling bling appeal of the steel ones. Second, I gather from the "chopped-liver"
wink.gif
review of the OP that even the *cough*cheaper*cough* brass model should sound spectacular.

Anyway, as a result pricejapan now has the brass model up on their website and I'm eagerly waiting for them to blow the rest of my IEM collection out of the water...
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #82 of 428
Final Audio don't make balanced armature earphones. They make 13,5 mm and 16 mm dynamic earphones only. Both are open designs, and as you will see in precisely 2 hours, uniquely Final Audio.

If you want literal, neutral sound, don't bother. If you want rich mids with exciting shine, yes. I have used low density foams to coax a bit more bass out of the SS model and it is great. A little muffle on some mids, but the added bass warmth is worth it.

As far as blowing out of the water: you will probably love: layering, space and speed. These are the fastest sounding earphones I have used. And in some ways way better than even expensive customs. But the sound will appeal to you if it appeals to you; these are not typical. I think I would liken them to an more open sounding Grado RS.

Jan 18, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #83 of 428
Hi Shig,
I read in another thread that was linked to in page 1 that final audio would be releasing a balanced armature iem in the first quarter of this year.
I think i owuld really like the sound of the fad, i always liked grados in general alhtough some of htem sounded a bit too harsh with my amps and i did not like htier total lack of soundstage. But the beatles and grado was heaven.
Is there an email address i can mail to see hwat european dealers they have? I could always ask pricejapan to get them for me of course, but i would like to check all my options. Although i guess european dealers cant get it for the street price and pj might be able to do it.
At this point i am just worried wether or not it will fit properly
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #84 of 428
I guess I missed the link - anyway, I am unsure of the dealers. From my meeting, it seemed that they were really shopping around. I think like many really high end companies, they are at a disadvantage because the number of people who would buy is very low. Thus, dealer numbers too, are very low. I hope to find out soon what they are.

Jan 18, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #87 of 428
Thanks shigzeo, excellent review as always. Now you deserve a good night's sleep!
smile.gif

One question, I reckon from the specs they'll hiss with the AMP3. Did you try this combo?

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #88 of 428
Hi Shigzeo, really enjoyed reading your review. Only thing htat worries me is that i guess the cable is non-detachable and has no stressrelief.
I wish that someone could do a reallyd etailed comparison with the ie8. That iem has all the bass i ever need and thats on the low setting.
I am a soundstage/imaging/midrange junkie so this iem REALLY appeals.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #89 of 428
Every earphone except PAA-1 with resistor engaged hisses like mad. The FAD is no different which is a shame. I added 75Ω resistance to the same effect. I am going to order a 200Ω from Qusp to see if it will work better with home amps etc for a variety of dynamic earphones. We will see.

I really like the AMP3 for highΩ earphones and headphones, but find it sadly lacking below 100Ω: hiss and bass roll off, channel truncation etc.. I hope 200Ω fixes that as I think the two would play nicely; currently at 91Ω or 16Ω, they do not.

This earphone is my favourite earphone - hands down. It is however, tricky. Foam works best for me to even the sound a bit more, but what would probably make it perfect is 150Ω or so built into the earphone.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #90 of 428
The IE8 is a bass monster in comparison Anouk. The cable has no stress relief, but isn't weak either. I wish it had an official anchor, but as it won't be used (by me) portably, it isn't a big deal. However, it should at least have a rubber anchor.

But for the price, this earphone is otherwise very good. Strange that I would say that as it is expensive. I love the Monster Turbine Pro, but after the 1601SS, it was like moving into a tunnel: the virtual stage is that well laid out. In a way, it is like listening to headphones.

It is much more detailed (stage wise) than my customs, and while placement may not be razor sharp: it is better otherwise. Simply more natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back