Wow! The Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB (also known as "Don't go to Yodobashi" lol)
Jan 9, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #48 of 428
What's the difference between the SS and the SB models apart from the price? Are they made from different alloys? They look almost the same with the SS appearing shinier than the SB.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #50 of 428
According to FAD, the difference is completely in the make of the housing. The driver is the same. Drivers are only one element of sound though. I heard the 2000$ version which is quite a listen, but I actually prefer the SS which I think is probably more neutrally voiced. Anyway, the SB, SS, and SC use the same drivers. I have not heard the SB but the SS is quite neutral among the line with full bass and wonderful mids and treble. Details and stage are phenomenal.

The SC is probably more like the CK100 - it is great, but it will probably work for some, and not for others. And, it is probably voiced better for certain genres.

Jan 9, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #53 of 428
Ponder - I cannot do a full review as I only had samples at my disposal. I have no idea what the guarantee or box is like. My article will be focussed on sound and pragmatics only without a full evaluation. I can guarantee though, that it is going to be very favourable.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #56 of 428
$2100 universal IEMs? How deliciously absurd!
o0qw4i.jpg

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #57 of 428
Well, they make earphones with the same thing in mind that drove Senn to make the HD800 or Ultrasone the Ed 9 or 8. FAD want the inner earphone to be the highest end - that is obvious. Admittedly that is an 'absurd' price, but so too is the price for the HD800

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #58 of 428
Would you say the build quality is close to that of the ATH-CK100? I'm feeling tempted by the SS's.... (sibilance with all those Ss?? heh heh....)

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #59 of 428
No sibilance. Build quality is different. I'll be doing an article soon. They are meant as home phones, so the same sort of survive-anything build isn't needed. They are made much better than some other phones, but they are aren't really 'portable' phones as in... using them on the train isn't where they work best.

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #60 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you say the build quality is close to that of the ATH-CK100? I'm feeling tempted by the SS's.... (sibilance with all those Ss?? heh heh....)

The allure is almost irresistible. Curse you Head-Fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back