Wow! The Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB (also known as "Don't go to Yodobashi" lol)
Jan 10, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #62 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The allure is almost irresistible. Curse you Head-Fi!

Didn't I just overhear you saying that the CK100s are too expensive?
wink.gif

No, seriously I feel tempted by these too. I've always had a weakness for straightforward design. Problem is, I like the matte look of the brass model better than the shiny ones, the only ones that shigzeo did not audition.

o0500037510251926629.jpg

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #63 of 428
Busted! I'm such a hypocrite. I thought shigzeo did try the brass one but preferred the sound signature of the SS model over it. I'll leave that for him to clarify. Now back to shigzeo's CK100 review thread for another round of pointless argument, that will alienate me even further from the Head-Fi community (if that's possible)...

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #64 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The allure is almost irresistible. Curse you Head-Fi!

I will join you in cursing the Head-Fi addiction.... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggghhhhh...

But I think getting married will become a natural filter on my spending habits here. Look out fiancee..... *she has no idea* Heh heh...

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #66 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't I just overhear you saying that the CK100s are too expensive?
wink.gif

No, seriously I feel tempted by these too. I've always had a weakness for straightforward design. Problem is, I like the matte look of the brass model better than the shiny ones, the only ones that shigzeo did not audition.

o0500037510251926629.jpg

Er, those are the ones which I bought and started the thread. My impresions are chopped liver?

Jan 14, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #67 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No sibilance. Build quality is different. I'll be doing an article soon. They are meant as home phones, so the same sort of survive-anything build isn't needed. They are made much better than some other phones, but they are aren't really 'portable' phones as in... using them on the train isn't where they work best.

100% disagree on the portability. Considering how many flights I was on around Asia and back to the USA, they travel just fine.

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #68 of 428
Sure you can travel with them, but 1: their weight, and 2: lack of isolation, make them about as pragmatic as the DT880 for use whilst out and about. And, they will NOT fit every ear. My wife cannot get them anywhere near her ear canal. Otherwise, lovely. Photos taken and article prepped... tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will join you in cursing the Head-Fi addiction.... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggghhhhh...

But I think getting married will become a natural filter on my spending habits here. Look out fiancee..... *she has no idea* Heh heh...

Congrats?!

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #69 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Er, those are the ones which I bought and started the thread. My impresions are chopped liver?

Not at all from my perspective. Your impressions and this thread has been a siren song that's drawn me to these exotic creatures, and possibly my financial demise. Perhaps I should be cursing you!

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #70 of 428
Quote:

How did I miss that momentous news? Have you surreptitiously edited your post? Yes, I second shigzeo's congratulations cn11. Hopefully you can set aside a generous financial allowance for your tragic earphone addiction in the pre-nup. She need never know about SS or SB.

Jan 14, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #71 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Of course not, sorry! But shigzeo had four models to compare and you've heard only one. I'd welcome a comparison between the brass and the steel model from any head-fier.

Jan 14, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #72 of 428
Not 'had', demoed. I am demoing two models still, the SS model which should see publication tomorrow and the plastic model which will see publication next week.

Good information: the metal series employ 'in house' production drivers. The shell, cable, driver - everything is made in Japan by a Japanese firm. In other words, it isn't a rehash of another Chinese factory model.

The top plastic model with 13,5 mm design is also coated by metal inside so that echos are not 'plastic', something I am famous for stinking about.

Jan 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #73 of 428
Quote:

congrats x3!!

BTW the fact you're considering non isolating IEMs reveals you have no idea of married life
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #74 of 428
Congrats again @ cn11. Perhaps after marriage your wife will complain about the Final Audio Design earphones/cans and you and I can strike another deal...lol. J/K. Enjoy the married life brother.

EricP

Jan 14, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #75 of 428
Thanks everyone on the congrats.
biggrin.gif
Yep, I think I snuck that news in there on an edit. Maybe I can edu-ma-cate her on the subtleties of portable audio.

I'm not very seriously considering these at the moment (the wallet just took a huge hit on VW repairs), but I will be watching this thread intently. I like the descriptions I'm reading so far. Although, as pointed out, maybe my needs lean more toward a highly isolating IEM now!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back