WORST headphone you ever heard?
Aug 1, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #1,681 of 1,786
Razer Kraken. Obvious distortion across the range, terrible mids, nonexistent highs. Somehow worse than beats.
I've got the Kraken 7.1 v2 and i dont get thoes problems, i get a slew of different ones LOL. because its emulating 7.1 the sound is just... so forced and bland sounding and fake. doesnt sound natural at all.
Also the leather earpads.. 0 venting, gets uncomfortably warm after 1hr of gaming. also the mic is annoying, when you pull it out you have no choice but to press on the mute botton thats the mic tips entire casing.. such a dumb design choice.
I only use them on skype to talk to my friends when we game. thats it, nothing else. not even youtube.

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #1,682 of 1,786
Lots of people like them, but I can't listen to these for more than :45 seconds. Nasty treble.

I listen to a lot of contraltos, and they suddenly sound like mezzos...

Hmmm. I suppose a lot of it comes down to how you amp them too. I love the DT1990 with the BH Crack, HD600 with solid state.

I haven't yet tried the DT1990 with solid state.

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #1,683 of 1,786
Hmmm. I suppose a lot of it comes down to how you amp them too. I love the DT1990 with the BH Crack, HD600 with solid state.

I love my dt1990 with my dac, its fantastic i dont get the trebble peak other people hear.

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #1,684 of 1,786

That's a point. But interestingly, I have heard the HD-600 on 4 amps in the past 4 years. Ragnarok 1, Bryston BHA-1, BH Crack, BH Experimentor (possibly not at 100%) - and the BH Crack I found to be far better than either of those notable SS amps running the 600.

I heard the 1990 2.5 years ago on an A20. I find it generally a very good can, but when female voices get going the overtones get delivered with too much edge, and violins have too much zing

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #1,686 of 1,786
Two (fairly recent) unmitigated disasters: Campfire Audio IO and Campfire Audio Polaris V2

Why, Campfire, why?!

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #1,687 of 1,786
Brainwavz hm5. Absolutely head crushing. I couldn't wear them for more than 5 minutes at a time.
They also look ugly and the sound lacked any punch or life at all. I understand these are analytical but if someone wanted to master any pop or electronic music on it, the bass would go crazy on normal headphones.
The detail was nice but highs tiring

Sep 10, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #1,688 of 1,786
Koss MV1 by far I think. Most muffled sounding headphone i've ever heard. Like listening to a headphone underwater?
Very weird tone to it that wasn't nature or clear at all. It's not a cheap headphone either. Retail was about $200 I think.
The pads are there weird rubber material and maybe that made it sound worse.

Koss also had a headphone that looked EXACTLY like their electrostatic headphone, but a regular dynamic driver headphone.
Anyone remember the name? That's another bad one.

That was sort of like the DT-990 Pro if you chopped off most of it's bass.
It felt so cheap that it would make creaking noises when you moved it around.
Then the pad material would peel off so quickly.

Look at this graph of the MV1. It's pretty funny:
http://en.goldenears.net/4692

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #1,689 of 1,786
Only a true headphone geek would click on a link promising a hilarious frequency response graph, and then..
actually laugh..

I did!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #1,690 of 1,786
Only a true headphone geek would click on a link promising a hilarious frequency response graph, and then..
actually laugh..

I did!
I gasped like an old lady who suddenly got the vapours. Somebody MADE those, and must have listened to them at least once before they sold them, right? :tired_face:

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #1,693 of 1,786
Not the worst, but didn't meet the high hype. Victor DX-1000. Tonally flawed. It sounds quite colored. I realized I don't like use of wood for timbre as it will most likely color the sound due to the wood's timbre. Anyhow it has a wonky mid timbre. Not terrible by any means, but if comparing relative to accurate timbre, it's quite off. That's really a problem with a lot of headphones out there.

I will always be quite skeptical off headphones using wood for timbre.

These are old headphones, we need to move past stuff like this one.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #1,694 of 1,786
How does one find out what solo plastic cups sounds like

Two cups, with a piece of string attached between them. Clearly, you were not a child in the 1960s...not that there's anything wrong with that. :wink:

Oct 5, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #1,695 of 1,786
Asus Cerberus, thats probably why it was given away for free when you bought an Asus motherboard.

It's bad, and I only used it as it had a mic on it so that I could talk to my wingman whilst flying. My good gaming cans hit a wall by accident and broke, thus forcing asus on me.

The cerberus even made a jet engine sound bad, and thats a very hard thing to do since jet engines sound bad fullstop. Hearing them on TV is good, in real life they are ear splitting bad, and somehow asus managed to make them sound even worse.

I think owning a pair of asus cerberus headphones is an xbox achievement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back