WORST headphone you ever heard?
Oct 11, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #1,711 of 1,786
For IEMs: Philips SHE3590 (very recessed lower-midrange, sibilant treble)

For full-size headphones: My second pair of Hifiman HE-400i. First pair actually sounded great, but the second pair was horribly sibilant, with almost no lower-mids.

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #1,713 of 1,786
@Dubstep Girl- You do know that the Rs2 has basically identical sound signature to the Rs1, right? The only difference is the larger soundstage size due to the larger housing of the Rs1. That Rs2 you tried must’ve also been defective lol

supposably.

i’ve wanted to enjoy rs2 but havent heard a bona fide pair. the rs1’s ive heard have all been good though.

grado quality control is hit or miss, but good pairs of their headphones are worth finding, im actually on the hunt for a good rs1 as we speak, i kinda miss it.

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #1,714 of 1,786
@Dubstep Girl- I see. I personally never had a bad Grado. Bona fide is a strange way to describe the Rs2 because you’re then implying Rs2 counterfeits exist (which I’m not aware of). I think you mean a proper pair.
If you can get your hands on the Grado White, do it. By far the most comfortable Grados ever.

Btw, did you see that song I sent you last night?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #1,715 of 1,786
@Dubstep Girl- You do know that the Rs2 has basically identical sound signature to the Rs1, right? The only difference is the larger soundstage size due to the larger housing of the Rs1. That Rs2 you tried must’ve also been defective lol

The drivers are different, not just the housing. The RS1e driver is 50mm and the RS2e is 44mm.

Are you talking about the older versions?

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #1,717 of 1,786
@elvergun- Yes, but it’s still the same driver in a smaller mahogany housing, just smaller.

Which models are we talking about, the "i" or "e"?

From what I've read in the Grado Fan thread, they do not sound the same. Most people prefer the RS2e and they actually do not like the signature of the RS1e. I have not heard the RS1e, so I really don't know how similar (or different) the signatures are. The RS2e is one of the most recommended headphones in that thread, while many suggest purchasing an RS1i if someone wants to try that model.

I've been keeping an eye out for a well priced RS1i.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #1,718 of 1,786
@elvergun- The older versions. So I guess the newer ones have a reverse effect where the cheaper one is better.

Out of all the HP brands I’ve tried, I’d say Grado is my favorite in terms of sound (Grado White being my favorite). They’re built for fun and enjoyment, not for technicalities like the HD800. The major con is the thick and obsolete cable. I hate that so much.

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #1,719 of 1,786
Oct 11, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #1,720 of 1,786
@elvergun- I’ve heard just about every conventional Grado there is, and prefer the White. It is much more comfortable than the Ps500 which I had both at the same time. The White terminates in 3.5mm jack instead of the usual 6.5mm. It is not bass heavy, just sounds great all around with no flaws. It is very light, much lighter than the Ps500 and wayyyy lighter than Ps1000. As with all Grados, tube amps are suggested. With its larger housing, soundstage is bigger than any cheaper Grado.

I could say that the White is easily one of the best sounding headphones I’ve ever used.

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #1,722 of 1,786
I complain that people aren't posting their test rigs, then a swath of people jump in here and don't list their test rigs. ?_?

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #1,723 of 1,786
I complain that people aren't posting their test rigs, then a swath of people jump in here and don't list their test rigs. ?_?
Well... While I agree that for a proper review test rig should be specified I would not take it so seriously on a thread like this. Besides when one has had dozens of headphones and something stands out as truly horrific no amount of gear matching will change that. I believe you can go from mediocre to great with proper synergy but turd polishing is just not worth it.

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #1,724 of 1,786
I think all headphones below a certain price point, including the Sennheiser HD600 (although it stretches its valid pricepoint far too much), the Beyerdynamic DT880, the cheaper Sennheisers, AKG K701 and 712 are fairly bad, each in their own ways and in general, after hearing the Hifiman Sundara... Which unfortunately has a certain "glassiness" to it that holds it back. And I've always been dissatisfied with the aforementioned. And I've grown tired of their signatures, so I don't have a particular fondness to be lenient (which I might even be with a few select others, like the Fostex T50RP). At best, they are all workhorses...
I hope this is a trollpost. I admit that audio is usually a matter of taste and one can argue if grados or a HD800 is ones taste or not. I can also understand that the HD600 is not everyones cup of tea. But to describe the HD600 as bad or even worst headphone is like saying Real Madrid or Bayern Munich are bad football teams or Interstellar is a bad movie.

Oct 12, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #1,725 of 1,786
Around 20 years or so ago I was a naive young man and thought audio gear didn't matter. I was sporting some wireless Logitech gaming headset and you honestly can't listen to music on those. I kind of wish I still have them to remember the good old days. Currently I would say the worst headphone I have is the ATHM50x. It's not bad by any stretch, but I only buy/trade for tried-and-true headphones so I haven't heard a real bad one in a long while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back