WORST headphone you ever heard?
Jul 6, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #1,666 of 1,786
Really? Even with crack? Are you more of a Beyer guy? You probably prefer like a bit of treble because Senny 6 series and Beyers have different responses. I like mid-ranges and don't like Beyer type responses.

What type of music do you mainly listen to?

Yep, even with the BH Crack. The best I have heard these is with my Audiolab 8000LX amp, a good ss amp with a good headphone section.

To say I'm more of a Beyer guy not quite true, I've owned the dt880 600ohm and found them a bit lean sounding, however I'm loving the DT1990 I now use most of the time with the Crack. I would like to try the T1.5 soon and the hd800.

Musical taste is varied, pop, rock, Acoustic, folk, etc except classical.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #1,667 of 1,786
Yep, even with the BH Crack. The best I have heard these is with my Audiolab 8000LX amp, a good ss amp with a good headphone section.

To say I'm more of a Beyer guy not quite true, I've owned the dt880 600ohm and found them a bit lean sounding, however I'm loving the DT1990 I now use most of the time with the Crack. I would like to try the T1.5 soon and the hd800.

Musical taste is varied, pop, rock, Acoustic, folk, etc except classical.
I listen to everything including vocals so I don't like gear that cause fatigue.

This is the graph of DT1990 from Rtings. You don't hear the peak in the treble? Beyers usually have a rise like this. Other than that, the bass looks pretty linear.

raw-frequency-response-l-graph (1).png

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #1,669 of 1,786
I don't listen to graphs, I trust my ears and to me the DT1990 sounds natural. I do like to hear all of the frequency range so do not appreciate any roll offs. The dt880 was worse as that was peaky and bright.

Jul 6, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #1,670 of 1,786
I don't listen to graphs, I trust my ears and to me the DT1990 sounds natural. I do like to hear all of the frequency range so do not appreciate any roll offs. The dt880 was worse as that was peaky and bright.

Honestly while I personally like the HD 600/650 I always found they were a little too mellow and lacking dynamic bite to be considered truly natural sounding, I always thought the HD 600/650's predecessors such as the HD 540 Gold sounded better. The HD 600/650 rarely came across as "this is real" to me, whereas my DT 480 does that constantly.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #1,672 of 1,786
HD650 closely followed by the HD600. No matter what amp I used, couldn't warm to their sound. You know the usual reasons why...!

I don't like HD650 either. It sounds too warm and even murky on some occasions. But I like HD600. It's been always a golden classic for me.
In my opinion, HD600,650, DT990, 880, 1990 etc. fall into a broad category of "fairly neutral" headphones, just differentiating in the interpretation of the term "neutrality".
(EDIT:: I admit that HD650 can be the "worst" interpretation of "neutrality". LOL)

I'd rather not use terms like "worst" on those headphones, because I know there are some other fundamentally and incorrigibly wrong sounding headphones with higher price tags out there.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #1,673 of 1,786
There are so many to choose from, but the two that come immediately to mind are the oBravo HAMT-1 and Audioquest NightHawk.
Not really sure which one is worse, but they both sounded like butt to me. :poop:

jimcarrey1.gif

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #1,674 of 1,786

Lots of people like them, but I can't listen to these for more than :45 seconds. Nasty treble.

I listen to a lot of contraltos, and they suddenly sound like mezzos...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #1,675 of 1,786
If the hd650 are the worst headphones you’ve ever heard you’re doing great! I WISH those were my low point.

Now, the complimentary on ear foam covered earphones I got touring itza in Mexico? Those take the cake.

Jul 31, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #1,677 of 1,786
Focal Elear.
Interesting. What did you not like about them? I had them and sold them, but not because I didn’t like them. Just part of the upgrade churn!

Jul 31, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #1,678 of 1,786
Interesting. What did you not like about them? I had them and sold them, but not because I didn’t like them. Just part of the upgrade churn!

From memory, they peaked in the midrange drowning out the bass and rendering the treble grainy and rolled off. The midrange was so prominent that at times it sounded shouty. Not a well balanced headphone at all IMHO. I remember shortly after selling them, I read an head-fi reviewer who pointed out the same things I thought about the Elear. He gave it 1 star out of five. I found the review [attached below]. It's the third review.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/focal-elear.21681/reviews

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #1,679 of 1,786
Try the elear om a tube amp. I dont know why but forme they transform on the Head One. On all my solid states they are okay but why should I listen :)

Its almost like they get more natural decay like the HD 800s plus some musical warmth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back