WORST headphone you ever heard?
Jul 5, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #1,651 of 1,786
in terms of sound alone, i would say the Meze 99.

In terms of build\comfort, i would say the Koss Porta Pro.

In terms of looks, any headphone from Grado.

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #1,652 of 1,786
HD800 I think. terrible sound. sold it in a week after purchase

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #1,653 of 1,786
Some earbuds that came with the HTC One M7, I still have them for some reason. I believe they are supposed to be affiliated with beats, they have red tips. I guess they'd sound okay if I let my pants sag and wore my hat sideways, I'll have to try that.

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,656 of 1,786
Jul 5, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #1,657 of 1,786
whats your opinon on LCD-2 (classic with new headband) or LCD-X (new headband rev.)
The LCD-X is really grainy, thin, not the most dynamic sounding even for a planar. I also do find though the X suffers from the most driver variation so take my comments with a grain of salt because units will vary. The 2 Classic I like, the 2C is very lively, dynamic and a bit edgy sounding but tastefully done. They sound very musical with a slightly lush female vocal presentation and a fairly neutral male vocal presentation. Treble is uneven on the 2C but within tolerances, almost al headphones have varying treble imperfections.

The 2C, Sine and LCD4 are the only Audeze which sound good to me.

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #1,658 of 1,786
The LCD-X is really grainy, thin, not the most dynamic sounding even for a planar. I also do find though the X suffers from the most driver variation so take my comments with a grain of salt because units will vary. The 2 Classic I like, the 2C is very lively, dynamic and a bit edgy sounding but tastefully done. They sound very musical with a slightly lush female vocal presentation and a fairly neutral male vocal presentation. Treble is uneven on the 2C but within tolerances, almost al headphones have varying treble imperfections.

The 2C, Sine and LCD4 are the only Audeze which sound good to me.
I tried the LCD-3, couldnt stand it, and that weight... thats one thing ive always disliked with the audeze range.. the weight :frowning2: even their isines are heavy for iems...

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #1,659 of 1,786
Most recently...
Audeze LCD-2 (circa 2012 model) - way too heavy and sweaty for me; I could only wear them for a very short period of time before my ears and jaw ached horribly. After I acquired B&O H6 v1 they gathered dust until they were gifted away.

Further back...
Grado SR80s - what a big disappoint. I bought a very early model in 1994/5 and those vice clamps hurt like hell (I guess I was spoiled by the Sony MDR V4s) and I didn't like the Grado house sound at all.

Koss KSC35 - those clips were awfully uncomfortable and never stayed on my ears; I ended up throwing them away after a couple of weeks of battling with them. The KSC75s I bought years later were surprisingly very comfortable in comparison.

These two above alone led me into an audio "Dark Ages"

Much further back...
Sony MDR V2/V3 - absolutely stunk... but they did lead me to buying the MDR V4s in 1992 which were great but they sadly disappeared on me sometime in 1993!

Even further back...
The plethora of junk headsets that came with Sony, Sanyo, GE, RS, Aiwa, and Panasonic portable players.

PDE (Pre-Digital Era)...
Don't really recall my Pioneer Monitor 10s being that comfortable...

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #1,660 of 1,786
For me, 2 or 3 headphones come to mind when thinking of the worst i've ever heard. Grado SR325e, Nad Viso HP50 and I am going to also say Audioquest Nighthawk.

The Grado SR325e just sounded like a mess to me; instruments and vocals just seemed conglomerated and I didn't like it's sound signature. Also didn't seem to have any soundstage. Thought it had lots of detail though, that was about the only thing I liked about it.

The Nad Viso HP50 was like a cheap version of a Sennheiser HD600. I always thought it looked like a childs toy or something, lol. Cheap, plasticy and gimmicky.

The Audioquest Nighthawk's sound signature is just too extreme for my liking. It has very luxurious earpads and beautiful wooden cups, but sound quality is what matters most to me.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #1,662 of 1,786
HD650 closely followed by the HD600. No matter what amp I used, couldn't warm to their sound. You know the usual reasons why...!

Jul 6, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #1,663 of 1,786
HD650 closely followed by the HD600. No matter what amp I used, couldn't warm to their sound. You know the usual reasons why...!
Really? Even with crack? Are you more of a Beyer guy? You probably prefer like a bit of treble because Senny 6 series and Beyers have different responses. I like mid-ranges and don't like Beyer type responses.

What type of music do you mainly listen to?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #1,664 of 1,786
Beyer DT 990 Pro. Worst headband clamp of any headphone I've ever worn/owned. So much pressure from the headband pinching the top of your head. I bent the headband so straight that it wouldn't seal on my ears at all anymore, and the top-of-head clamp was still bothersome. Luckily returned, thanks Amazon. Also, the sound did not impress.

Going from 6xx to 990 Pro was like walking outside after a daytime movie without sunglasses. :|

Oh also the Google Pixel 3 earbuds.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #1,665 of 1,786

With you, but recently my tubed Fisher 400 receiver moved them into the "tolerable" category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back