Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #27,994 of 42,298
Both Ultrainferno and Dubstep Girl complaining about lacking bass on their upgraded Woods makes me think that those capacitor upgrades might alter the sound in a bass light direction.
@Ultra, just get the Leben, it is not lacking: D

I just thought I'd share this with all of you--

On January 30, 2010 I emailed Jack and asked him the following question before I placed my order for a WA2:

Jack,

What impact does 
  1. Black Gate output coupling capacitors, 220u/100v
  2. Black Gate voltage filtering capacitors, Power Tank 220uf/200V

have on WA2?; do you offer other capacitors other than Black Gates; and

can I use EZ81 rectifier as well as EZ80?

On Feb 1, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Woo Audio wrote:

These parts are used on the critical path of the amp so they are beneficial. The BG is fast recovery and wide bandwidth, improving dynamic and sound stage.

EZ81 and 6V4 can be used instead of EZ80.

Thanks,

Jack

As some of you know, I did get the Black Gate upgrades and this is the same WA2 that Ultra- sold to Mihis for me.

Croatia1, Belgium 2

Congratulations, Belgium, for reaching World Cup Finals.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #27,995 of 42,298
^ If the BG caps are "fast recovery" which might lead to tighter bass, this can in effect be felt as less bass quantity, ie "less bass"

I think caps alter the sound signature, and often the sound signature is more important than technical performance. Which might in part explain why Ultra and DG differ on the wa2, and DG and I differ on the wa22.

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #27,996 of 42,298
The BG caps are "fast recovery" which might lead to tighter bass which can in effect be felt as less bass quantity, ie "less bass"
I think caps alter the sound signature, and often the sound signature is more important than technical performance.

Then would a "tighter bass" (probably what the sound engineer had intended to reproduce) be preferable over "more bass" (a personal preference)?

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #27,997 of 42,298

maybe so, but it still had some issues.

mostly cause of the amperex bugle boys or amperex holland a frames, those are still mid/entry lvl amperex. the bugle boys where a little on the lush side at times, the a frames a little too much on treble at times, but close to perfect, if i finished maxing out my tubes, with Amperex PQ whites or the rare and expensive Amperex 6922 pinched waist d-getter, might be even better. also i never got to tube roll any siemens tubes.

the rectifiers on WA2 i think i had right, but i wanted to try and find some genalex U709, rare version of the EZ80/EZ81. then it'd be perfect!

i think the WA22 can get better with different tubes, perhaps with the western electric or GEC rectifiers, but i don't think the bass will be to my liking, it definitely focuses more on the midrange, detail, and has a sort of warmth to it, while being dynamic and full. i think its tubier than WA2. rather than silky smooth and laid back yet musical and punchy, the WA22 has more of a magic tube like midrange, spacious, airy, warm, lush, and full. but it seems a little colored to me at times, a little too much. and there is more treble on WA22 than WA2, but its also warmer at times. and the bass is softer like some tube amps. 

maybe the 6sn7 sound isn't for me

I'm just putting in my Amperex (Holland) 6922 PQ whites, replacing my Amperex (Holland) 6922 whites in the WA 2.  I'll let you know of the change in sound (Brimar EZ80=>TS 5998=>Amperex (Holland) 6922 PQ whites with HD 800.)

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #27,998 of 42,298
Then would a "tighter bass" (probably what the sound engineer had intended to reproduce) be preferable over "more bass" (a personal preference)?

Yup, thats the question. I know I often prefer technically inferior sound because I just like it. Bass bloom, slightly congested mids, spiced up highs, all depending..

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #27,999 of 42,298
Yup, thats the question. I know I often prefer technically inferior sound because I just like it. Bass bloom, slightly congested mids, spiced up highs, all depending..

Just like my food. :wink:

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #28,000 of 42,298

In my opinion, yes!  Over time, I believe a critical listener would acclimate to a purer sound and be more satisfied with the listening experience overall.  YEDMV (your eardrums may vary)

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #28,001 of 42,298
In my opinion, yes!  Over time, I believe a critical listener would acclimate to a purer sound and be more satisfied with the listening experience overall.  YEDMV (your eardrums may vary)

Some critical listeners own high end gear and still enjoys less perfection due to enjoyable sound signatures. I for one, enjoy the variation of my headphone harem. Same way I can enjoy Michelin Star restaurants and Burger King, to make another metaphor....

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #28,002 of 42,298
Just purchased a pair of Shuguang 300bc's for my WA5, and a pair of "Preferred Series" 247's for the rectifiers (although I am not expecting a major change with the 247's).  I'll let ya'll know if they are any good, as I have not seen anyone rate these tubes yet.  I was gonna buy the Psvane cv181's, but i decided to see how these work out first, currently using the GE 6sn7's NOS stock tubes.  Also just put in an order for a pair of Audeze LCD-2's.  An expensive day indeed!

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #28,003 of 42,298
Some critical listeners own high end gear and still enjoys less perfection due to enjoyable sound signatures. I for one, enjoy the variation of my headphone harem. Same way I can enjoy Michelin Star restaurants and Burger King, to make another metaphor....

Hear, hear (no pun intended--okay, maybe). Me too. When I was in Amsterdam last August, I enjoyed a Michelin Star restaurant and meals at Febo. I the love the variety that life offers us.

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #28,004 of 42,298

Agreed!  We experience more enjoyable distortions than we realize. 
smile.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #28,005 of 42,298

Hear, hear (no pun intended--okay, maybe). Me too. When I was in Amsterdam last August, I enjoyed a Michelin Star restaurant and meals at Febo. I the love the variety that life offers us.

I'm noticing a food theme here... are you hungry? 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back