Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #27,856 of 42,298
i miss my WA2....:frowning2:

this is bad....

i hate to say it, i really do,  but besides the soundstage, which the WA22 is amazing at, just super holographic and huge huge huge, i think the GSX-MK2 is better in every way, with every headphone. even the beyerdynamic T1 and the HD 800 too.

My beta22 makes everything better except HD800, that is the WA22 outperform the beta22.

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #27,857 of 42,298
  i miss my WA2....
frown.gif

this is bad....

i hate to say it, i really do,  but besides the soundstage, which the WA22 is amazing at, just super holographic and huge huge huge, i think the GSX-MK2 is better in every way, with every headphone. even the beyerdynamic T1 and the HD 800 too.

Sorry to hear that you're so disappointed, DG.  I guess the grass isn't always so green on the other side.  If I were you I'd give it some time before you gave up on the WA22.  You could always go back to the WA2, though, without much of a problem, I imagine.  I'm pretty happy with my WA22 right now, but I have another amp on order anyways.  We'll see if it's an improvement or not.

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #27,858 of 42,298
I have wa22 for more than one month. But yesterday I found sometimes there is "ka ka" sound from the headphone such as TH900 or HD650 left channel when I rotated the headphone pin in the headphone insert.(headphone such as HD800 and LCD3 uesd XLR-3pin or 4pin no "ka ka" sound)

I wonder how to resolve this problem.

Thank you.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #27,859 of 42,298

Sorry to hear that you're so disappointed, DG.  I guess the grass isn't always so green on the other side.  If I were you I'd give it some time before you gave up on the WA22.  You could always go back to the WA2, though, without much of a problem, I imagine.  I'm pretty happy with my WA22 right now, but I have another amp on order anyways.  We'll see if it's an improvement or not.

im not disappointed per se, but just im not entirely sure the WA22 is for me.

it does many things good. but i think the 6sn7 just seem to have microphonic and/or noise issues, the 6f8g even worse, and they seem to lack bass and the amp seems to be a little too warm. the huge huge plus the WA22 has is the incredible 3d soundstage and the beautiful really intimate midrange, very warm and detailed.

however, the amp in all seems to be too mid-centric for me. the bass gets pushed back.

now one thing im VERY VERY VERY interested in listening to would be the Grado PS1000. i think the WA22 would be something that might pair well with it. its warm and tubey enough to roll off the highs, the bass is laid back, so it might remove some of the PS1000's boomyness, and the midrange is so forward, it might bring out the recessed mids of the PS1000.

i miss my WA2, it was warm but not overly so, and had a nice full bass. it was slightly boosted and colored, but with the right tubes, maintained tightness and punch but still was fun. a little more bass than neutral was very nice. and i think the WA2 has better control of the Beyerdynamic T1's drivers than Wa22.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #27,860 of 42,298
  i miss my WA2....
frown.gif

this is bad....

this is audio. no shame at all with expressing. none. the feeling it's leaving you with. and the feeling you wanna be left with. understandable...

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #27,861 of 42,298
the WA2 just has a sound with T1 that really clicks with me, especially with those amperex tubes.

its tight, punchy, fast, musical, yet slightly more than neutral bass. warm lively mids that arent overly colored, transparent, decent soundstage, and extended highs that aren't overdone. 

only flaw, the mids aren't as nice as WA22. but its not too far off from perfection, and upgrading tubes would probably get me there. i can see myself maxing out the tubes on WA2. (WE 421A, Amperex 6922 pinched waist d getter, and Genalex U709)

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #27,862 of 42,298
While we're on the subject of who's missing what in this thread, I miss:

My re-cabled Denon D7000 paired with the WA 6 Special Edition - TS-BGRP's in the slots; The Mighty 596 sitting high post. Punch, drive, reserve, detail and finesse! It only lacked depth for what I was seeking.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #27,863 of 42,298
Have you had opportunity to try a TS mouse ear? The dirty $20 ones I got from ebay are quiet and have very low microphonics...can tap the tube pretty hard and not hear it. They might be worth a try before you give up.

6sn7 just seem to have microphonic and/or noise issues, the 6f8g even worse, and they seem to lack bass and the amp seems to be a little too warm.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #27,864 of 42,298
  the WA2 just has a sound with T1 that really clicks with me, especially with those amperex tubes.

its tight, punchy, fast, musical, yet slightly more than neutral bass. warm lively mids that arent overly colored, transparent, decent soundstage, and extended highs that aren't overdone. 

only flaw, the mids aren't as nice as WA22. but its not too far off from perfection, and upgrading tubes would probably get me there. i can see myself maxing out the tubes on WA2. (WE 421A, Amperex 6922 pinched waist d getter, and Genalex U709)

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the WA22. So on WA2 you use Amperex bugle boys with T1 and orange globes with the HD800? So will you go back for WA2 for now? 

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #27,865 of 42,298
While we're on the subject of who's missing what in this thread, I miss:

My re-cabled Denon D7000 paired with the WA 6 Special Edition - TS-BGRP's in the slots; The Mighty 596 sitting high post. Punch, drive, reserve, detail and finesse! It only lacked depth for what I was seeking.

WA6, WA6SE, and WA22. :mad:

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #27,866 of 42,298

Sorry to hear about your disappointment with the WA22. So on WA2 you use Amperex bugle boys with T1 and orange globes with the HD800? So will you go back for WA2 for now? 

other way around, bugle boy HD 800 and orange globe T1. and those are supposably not as good as the amperex PQ whites or the rarer pinched waist 6922, or even the 7308 varieties..... and then  theres the siemens tubes i have yet to try, i feel those will be real winners with HD 800.

im gonna give a few more 6SN7 a try on WA22, but i feel that the WA22 is next on the chopping block.  its like the WA6-SE, WA22, and WA2 neither is really "Better" than the others, just preference, and seems like neither is perfect either.

mainly heres what i think so far:

the WA6-SE is most SS sounding, can drive anything, but can become grainy and not as good with beyer t1. full and dynamic, great clarity, but also tube rolling can be a pain at times, and tonality is kinda lacking, not euphonic just  warm with tube rolling.

the WA2 is close to perfect for me, but i don't like the rectifier choice,  and not good with low impedance, so only limited mostly to the 300/600 ohm headphones from beyerdynamic and sennheiser. requires a ton of money tube rolling to sound best.

the WA22 seems to be warm and more colored than WA2, but not as silky smooth, it has a slight thinness to it, despite the warm and forward mids, too middy for me, and bass not as good as other 2 woos, though can drive almost anything, has to be balanced source though, can't use single-ended, and looks like tube rolling on this is even more expensive than WA2. soundstage and imaging greatest out of all 3.

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #27,867 of 42,298

other way around, bugle boy HD 800 and orange globe T1. and those are supposably not as good as the amperex PQ whites or the rarer pinched waist 6922, or even the 7308 varieties..... and then  theres the siemens tubes i have yet to try, i feel those will be real winners with HD 800.

im gonna give a few more 6SN7 a try on WA22, but i feel that the WA22 is next on the chopping block.  its like the WA6-SE, WA22, and WA2 neither is really "Better" than the others, just preference, and seems like neither is perfect either.

mainly heres what i think so far:

the WA6-SE is most SS sounding, can drive anything, but can become grainy and not as good with beyer t1. full and dynamic, great clarity, but also tube rolling can be a pain at times, and tonality is kinda lacking, not euphonic just  warm with tube rolling.

the WA2 is close to perfect for me, but i don't like the rectifier choice,  and not good with low impedance, so only limited mostly to the 300/600 ohm headphones from beyerdynamic and sennheiser. requires a ton of money tube rolling to sound best.

the WA22 seems to be warm and more colored than WA2, but not as silky smooth, it has a slight thinness to it, despite the warm and forward mids, too middy for me, and bass not as good as other 2 woos, though can drive almost anything, has to be balanced source though, can't use single-ended, and looks like tube rolling on this is even more expensive than WA2. soundstage and imaging greatest out of all 3.

The two most "neutral" 6SN7 variants that I really liked with the WA22 were the Sylvania Brown Base 5692s and Sylvania VT-231s.

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #27,868 of 42,298
I find the Sylvania VT-231s to be a bit light on the bass so that may not be a great choice for DG.

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #27,869 of 42,298
  I find the Sylvania VT-231s to be a bit light on the bass so that may not be a great choice for DG.

sounds like all the 6sn7 are leaner than the 6922 tube type, or maybe just the WA2 is more bassy than the WA22 which seems to focus more on the mids.

i feel like im just gonna be rebuying WA2 since its almost 100% strictly for T1, and i love how the bass is on the T1 with that, really brings it out and makes them really punchy yet musical and balanced. the HD 800 would be nice to put on there as well since it sounds so good, but i'll mostly listen to GS-X.

not looking for anything else for low impedance or any of my other headphones, the GS-X, nothing comes close. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #27,870 of 42,298

For neutral...I really like them...for more bass and still very clean, then the 5692s were my personal favourites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back