Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 2, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #25,216 of 42,298
Quote:
the 5998s are actually on there way from vacuumtubes.net i was thinking of getting the 7236 as well if they are better and using them with hd650 and then change to the 5998s when i get the t1. 

unfortunately i didn't have both pairs of tubes at the time i had HD 650 and WA2, but i believe i found the hd 650s to be too slow for me with the WA2 (though it sounds very good). the 7236 which is faster sounding might be better for them, but then again, it may not. the 5998 is a fantastic tube. 

May 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #25,217 of 42,298
Quote:
Bummer 
frown.gif
  I got my Sylvania and Tung Sol 7236's for dirt cheap a few years ago.  Too bad all of the good power tubes for the WA2 are getting harder and harder to find.

All of the good power tubes are hard to get now these days, try to find a pair of GEC 6080 or 6ASF7G without paying an arm and a leg is impossible.

May 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #25,219 of 42,298
just got Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globe A-frames for my WA2.

wow, these are very nice! much cleaner and more transparent (the soundstage is really good, theres more layers to the music than the sylvania's too) than the JAN-Sylvania 7308, slightly less sub bass really good midbass punch/slam, just as extended and tighter (bass is way better overall)!

Just what i was looking for 
tongue_smile.gif
 Better than the 6DJ8 Bugle Boy's i bought a few weeks ago (those where bright and awkwardly wide, might be better for speakers or dark headphones like hd 650s)

i still prefer the Sylvania's on the sennheisers though, more bass and fuller sound.

May 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #25,220 of 42,298
I'm glad you posted that. I've got a couple pair of orange a-frames that I'm liking very much. I was tempted to get a pair of bugles to go with them.... I think I'll hold off. Ordered a TungSol 7236 instead.

I've got the 6CG7s in there now.....will post impressions probably later in the weekend if they stay in that long. Right now I like them enough to leave in.

wow, these are very nice! much cleaner and more transparent (the soundstage is really good, theres more layers to the music than the sylvania's too) than the JAN-Sylvania 7308, slightly less sub bass really good midbass punch/slam, just as extended and tighter (bass is way better overall)!

tongue_smile.gif

Better than the 6DJ8 Bugle Boy's i bought a few weeks ago (those where bright and awkwardly wide, might be better for speakers or dark headphones like hd 650s)

May 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #25,221 of 42,298
Quote:

tongue_smile.gif

i still prefer the Sylvania's on the sennheisers though, more bass and fuller sound.

I've got a pair of these on the way.  Which power tubes are you using?

May 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #25,222 of 42,298
Quote:
I'm glad you posted that. I've got a couple pair of orange a-frames that I'm liking very much. I was tempted to get a pair of bugles to go with them.... I think I'll hold off. Ordered a TungSol 7236 instead.

I've hot the 6CG7s in there now.....will post impressions probably later in the weekend if they stay in that long. Right now I like them enough to leave in.

sounds good! 
biggrin.gif

the Bugle boy's aren't bad tubes at all btw (theyre popular for a reason right?). they're very clear sounding and have great sound detail and soundstage, it sounds good with HD 800s on very well recorded music and would probably be a top pick for classical, soft jazz, vocals, etc. but it did seem to be a little too bright/lean for me, and with the T1 they made them sound bright with weird distant mids and no bass. so just depends on your headphones.

i just found the orange a frames to be more balanced. they have more punch and bass (its the audiophile bass too, you can definitely hear it,  but its very tight and controlled, this really caught my attention with this tube). everything is clear and open sounding, airy, but with slight warmth, i guess thats what they call the amperex sound. anyways, great synergy with my T1/WA2. i feel like they really opened up the sound with the T1's, just brought out that midrange really nicely while keeping the treble under control

May 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #25,226 of 42,298
Quote:
Has anyone actually ever used the WA2 as a preamp? If so what was the setup and results? Been wondering about that recently.

i use it all the time as pre amp. the thing is my speakers arent all that good i have a pioneer dvr 640h surround sound system. the wa2 completley transforms the sound of the system. without the wa2 the bass seems to be pushed out to far and sounds muddy but with the preamp plugged in it tames the sound a lot and gives a heck of a lot more power. 

i will be trying it on my friends system as soon as he gets it. he has a clear audio turntable and kef r500 speakers on the way and i think a rotel amp. they are not state of the art by any means but ill let you know how it goes with the wa2 - should be next weekend and should be sweet!!! 

May 3, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #25,227 of 42,298
May 3, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #25,228 of 42,298
Hey, I was hoping someone here might be able to give me a good tip. I'm trying to find tubes for the WA6-SE that pair well with the LCD-2. I ordered the amp with the Sophia rectifier tube upgrade and the stock driver tubes (sylvania 6ew7). I'm finding that my HD600 sounds better than ever, but I'm not sure if this tube combination is the best for the LCD-2. What I'm hearing is a harsh treble mostly, especially when I turn the volume up. I'd like to find something that balances the sound a bit, less harsh in the highs, and perhaps more mid-bass/mid-range impact. Also, for some reason the HD600's bass has drastically improved with this setup but the bass on my LCD-2's is lacking and sounds much weaker than the HD600's. Typically the LCD-2's sound much bassier to my ears, so it's a bit confusing to me.

I'm mainly looking for driver tubes but I'm open to trying different rectifier tubes also. I've been searching through all the threads and it's a bit overwhelming so it would be great to hear from someone directly. Thanks in advance.

May 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #25,230 of 42,298
i use it all the time as pre amp. the thing is my speakers arent all that good i have a pioneer dvr 640h surround sound system. the wa2 completley transforms the sound of the system. without the wa2 the bass seems to be pushed out to far and sounds muddy but with the preamp plugged in it tames the sound a lot and gives a heck of a lot more power. 

i will be trying it on my friends system as soon as he gets it. he has a clear audio turntable and kef r500 speakers on the way and i think a rotel amp. they are not state of the art by any means but ill let you know how it goes with the wa2 - should be next weekend and should be sweet!!! 

Thats great! Look forward to hearing the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back