Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #24,676 of 42,298
Quote:

transformer blew or something? 

hopefully jack can fix it without charging u half the cost of the amp. im sure he has excellent service though, just not many people have sent their amps in for repair, which in itself is a good sign! 

Posts like this every once in awhile really me make wonder if I would be better off with a WA2 over my WA22. I love a lush romantic sound and primarily listen to Jazz and acoustic with occasional downtempo electronics. The WA22 is phenomenal but not really that warm by itself unless you choose a slow syrupy rectifier like Mullard GZ37. That being said, I don't like it when music is being artificially slowed down to create the effect. I also like a fairly balanced FR.

likewise your response makes me wonder if maybe the WA22 is not the amp for me, since it seems to be more WA6-SEish rather than WA2ish. though it seems the WA22 is somewhere in between, which would be good. i find the WA2 to have perfect tonality and warmth/sweetness, but could use a bit more detail and control. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #24,677 of 42,298
Quote:
Has anyone had any experience with sending in a Woo Audio amp for repair? Cost & experience with Woo audio repair?

I feel absolutely terrible right now as my Woo Wes went up in smoke this morning. I'm going to detail it below as I'd like to hear from the experts on whether or not this will be an easy fix that won't thrash my wallet (a few grand for repair would end this journey). I really don't know what to do. Perhaps one of you would like to buy a broken unit to repair if things don't go right?

Anyway, the Wes is the fully maxed option with an HE90 port. It's feeding my Stax Sr-009 & I was using all the upgraded tubes that are for sale on the sales page. The device shorted out at half volume and I lost the audio for a split second. It came back but the left side of my Sr-009 was noticeably quieter. The top unit of the Wes started smoking shortly after and a trail of smoke came out of the XLR ports in the back of the unit. It was a burnt plastic sort of smoke and smell. All 10 tubes still functioned 100% after the burn out. From my observation the bottom portion of the amp was unharmed. The device kept power and was still able to output sound through both channels of my SR-009.

This has sparked up my anxiety as I'm not rich by any stretch with money to blow left and right. I got my rig at an unbeatable price during a stretch where it was possible for me to jump on this unicorn rig setup. I hope I'm not screwed and need to fork over thousands for a replacement. What say you Head-fi?

Quote:
Finally, I like the fact that the WES has no circuit boards, no ICs, and uses point-to-point wiring.  Every integrated circuit will one day fail.  Every printed circuit board will one day get a short or have a component failure.  What happens with the BHSE in 20 years when that happens?  Will Justin be around?  Hopefully... but what if he isn't?  The BHSE will become an expensive, huge, paper weight.  With the WES, you just replace the failed component.

I read this in another thread and hope that it's as easy as what he's stating. It looks like the users ragged on him for his comment though. Come on Jack I'll hold you up like Simba from the Lion King if I can get a repair at a reasonable price! Yes I'm dramatic and yes I'm kind of crazy but don't you have to be if you decide to start messing around with high end electrostatic gear?

The fear of the unknown carnage and the expense tagged with it, is understandable. Jack will be returning shortly from the Montreal Audio show this weekend and will lend a helping hand. I'd encourage you to send it in, otherwise you'd have to rely on speculation. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #24,678 of 42,298
Mar 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #24,679 of 42,298
Quote:
likewise your response makes me wonder if maybe the WA22 is not the amp for me, since it seems to be more WA6-SEish rather than WA2ish. though it seems the WA22 is somewhere in between, which would be good. i find the WA2 to have perfect tonality and warmth/sweetness, but could use a bit more detail and control. 

I haven't had a chance to compare personally. But when Woo says the WA22 is their "most euphonic" amp, I interpret that as meaning that it has the least personality of it's own. Meaning that it takes on the character of the tubes that are in it more than any other Woo amp. In my experience, this seems to be the case. The WA22 is a tube chameleon of the highest order.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #24,680 of 42,298
I found my WA 6 Special Edition to be clear, focused, dynamic and packing a punch! And the WA22 to be a bit more sweet and dreamy with punch when called for.
ksc75smile.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #24,681 of 42,298
@sid-fi.. I have a WA22, and wouldn't change it. Right now to better it, I'd have to go up seriously in price. (Law of diminishing returns:wink:) WA2 I'm sure is bloody fantastic, but for the extra cost would a rectifier change bring a better cost/change of sound ratio? I have a LCD-2, so if I want a warmer sound, I'm considering buying a supplementary Grado GS1000i..

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #24,682 of 42,298
Quote:
Has anyone had any experience with sending in a Woo Audio amp for repair? Cost & experience with Woo audio repair?

I feel absolutely terrible right now as my Woo Wes went up in smoke this morning. I'm going to detail it below as I'd like to hear from the experts on whether or not this will be an easy fix that won't thrash my wallet (a few grand for repair would end this journey). I really don't know what to do. Perhaps one of you would like to buy a broken unit to repair if things don't go right?

Anyway, the Wes is the fully maxed option with an HE90 port. It's feeding my Stax Sr-009 & I was using all the upgraded tubes that are for sale on the sales page. The device shorted out at half volume and I lost the audio for a split second. It came back but the left side of my Sr-009 was noticeably quieter. The top unit of the Wes started smoking shortly after and a trail of smoke came out of the XLR ports in the back of the unit. It was a burnt plastic sort of smoke and smell. All 10 tubes still functioned 100% after the burn out. From my observation the bottom portion of the amp was unharmed. The device kept power and was still able to output sound through both channels of my SR-009.

This has sparked up my anxiety as I'm not rich by any stretch with money to blow left and right. I got my rig at an unbeatable price during a stretch where it was possible for me to jump on this unicorn rig setup. I hope I'm not screwed and need to fork over thousands for a replacement. What say you Head-fi?

I read this in another thread and hope that it's as easy as what he's stating. It looks like the users ragged on him for his comment though. Come on Jack I'll hold you up like Simba from the Lion King if I can get a repair at a reasonable price! Yes I'm dramatic and yes I'm kind of crazy but don't you have to be if you decide to start messing around with high end electrostatic gear?

When I had to send back a bad 596 tube, communication was slow, but the issue was resolved satisfactorily (but the tube was identified as bad at the first use).

I expect everything will work out ok for you.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #24,683 of 42,298
Thanks Dubstep girl !
I guess I will just pass the WA6SE this time then.
Really hard to find a second hard WA2 here in UK, and the import tax is kinds of putting me off from buying directly from Woo Audio. Maybe I just need some more patience. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #24,684 of 42,298
Good point. I have indeed noticed that different tubes sound starkly different than others in my WA22.

I haven't had a chance to compare personally. But when Woo says the WA22 is their "most euphonic" amp, I interpret that as meaning that it has the least personality of it's own. Meaning that it takes on the character of the tubes that are in it more than any other Woo amp. In my experience, this seems to be the case. The WA22 is a tube chameleon of the highest order.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #24,685 of 42,298
Yeah, I'm sure there tubes that could add some warmth. However, my Sophia Princess is my favorite so far after having tried five different ones or so. Maybe an EML would be good. Prt of the issue is I loved the smoothness of the D18 DAC I had. The Gungnir is good, but now there is less warmth overall. Not bad, just pretty neutral while I prefer some warmth added in.

@sid-fi.. I have a WA22, and wouldn't change it. Right now to better it, I'd have to go up seriously in price. (Law of diminishing returns:wink:) WA2 I'm sure is bloody fantastic, but for the extra cost would a rectifier change bring a better cost/change of sound ratio? I have a LCD-2, so if I want a warmer sound, I'm considering buying a supplementary Grado GS1000i..

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #24,686 of 42,298
Hmm, just rolled in my RCA VT-231 smoke glass driver tubes and they may be a better match. I consider them lush tubes, but had settled on Sylvania GTA before switching to Gungnir. However, now I'm hearing a closer sound to my preference. Hopefully it's that easy, but listening to a wider selection if music will be needed to know. I guess rolling tubes can be easier than rolling DACs lol.

The challenge is you naturally settle in on tubes that proved best end sound, so when you switch a major component it can throw that out of whack. Then your assessing new gear unfairly in a way.

Yeah, I'm sure there tubes that could add some warmth. However, my Sophia Princess is my favorite so far after having tried five different ones or so. Maybe an EML would be good. Prt of the issue is I loved the smoothness of the D18 DAC I had. The Gungnir is good, but now there is less warmth overall. Not bad, just pretty neutral while I prefer some warmth added in.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #24,687 of 42,298
Thanks everybody. It was fresh on my mind but now I'm feeling good about it. I just had to go and speculate but in the end I'm sure I'll have nothing to worry about. If I could I'd lend out my rig to each and everyone of you, just so you could experience the sound. Yes people love the BHSE but a fully maxxed Wes for less than the stock amp price, I say I came out ahead. I almost feel guilty. 
biggrin.gif

I could have never imagined experiencing sound reproduction like this within my lifetime. Plus I've a good sixty years ahead of me to listen & love.
beerchug.gif
Thank you all.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #24,688 of 42,298
Sounds like an elite setup you have there. I sure wish you could send to me as well. :D

Thanks everybody. It was fresh on my mind but now I'm feeling good about it. I just had to go and speculate but in the end I'm sure I'll have nothing to worry about. If I could I'd lend out my rig to each and everyone of you, just so you could experience the sound. Yes people love the BHSE but a fully maxxed Wes for less than the stock amp price, I say I came out ahead. I almost feel guilty. :D

I could have never imagined experiencing sound reproduction like this within my lifetime. Plus I've a good sixty years ahead of me to listen & love. :beerchug: Thank you all.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #24,689 of 42,298
Quote:
Sounds like an elite setup you have there. I sure wish you could send to me as well.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Thanks everybody. It was fresh on my mind but now I'm feeling good about it. I just had to go and speculate but in the end I'm sure I'll have nothing to worry about. If I could I'd lend out my rig to each and everyone of you, just so you could experience the sound. Yes people love the BHSE but a fully maxxed Wes for less than the stock amp price, I say I came out ahead. I almost feel guilty. 
biggrin.gif

I could have never imagined experiencing sound reproduction like this within my lifetime. Plus I've a good sixty years ahead of me to listen & love.
beerchug.gif
Thank you all.

Well, if he decides to sell it to me, then I'LL have to see about sending it. 
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #24,690 of 42,298
Please do :cool:.

That's a cool little fact about your avatar.

Well, if he decides to sell it to me, then I'LL have to see about sending it. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back