Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #24,662 of 42,298
Quote:

Having heard a variety of headphone amps at CanJam in RMAF last fall, I expected that my main interests would lie with Burson and Woo.  Unfortunately, Burson wasn't around (neither was Decware).  It was strange - most of the hi-end headphone brands were present (Stax, Sennheiser, HiFiMan, Audeze, Kingsound, Grado, etc.) - but of the renowned headphone amp companies, basically Woo was it.

So I was in the weird position of having loved the 22 balanced, but choosing to get the 6SE since it fits in better with my system.  I will be picking up the show sample on Sunday at the end of the show, and will be a fellow Woozie soon!

LionTamer, congrats on your new Woo! Can't speak for any of the other brands , but Steve from Decware does not do shows. He holds his own ZenFest each October at the shop for a weekend of hanging out and listening. 

Enjoy your new WA6SE! Sweet piece.

beerchug.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #24,663 of 42,298
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome guys! Dubstep - the tubes running are all stock. The WA22 is running Sylvania 6080's and drivers (cv181's I think) along with the Shuguang rectifier. The WA6SE, which will be mine tomorrow, is running GE power tubes along with tr Shuggy.

My plan is to order the Princess rectifier, and likely the 6GL7 tubes/converters. Though I may ask if Jack has any 596's left based on the strong reviews on here.

Jack has a few USAF-596 recs remaining...

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #24,664 of 42,298
I am really considering of joining the Woo Audio family due to my new T1 headphone. 
Right now there is a second hand WA6SE available near me, would like to hear some opinions on how it pairs with T1, when comparing with WA2?
Thanks a lot!

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #24,665 of 42,298
Quote:
I am really considering of joining the Woo Audio family due to my new T1 headphone. 
Right now there is a second hand WA6SE available near me, would like to hear some opinions on how it pairs with T1, when comparing with WA2?
Thanks a lot!

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/555749/sibling-rivalry-the-woo-wa2-vs-the-woo-wa6se-review-posted-update-6-3-2011

(sort of, no T1 comparison in there)

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #24,667 of 42,298
Skylab and Dubstep girl spoke very highly of the T1 + WA2 combo.

Quote:
Thanks a lot!

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #24,668 of 42,298
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome guys! Dubstep - the tubes running are all stock. The WA22 is running Sylvania 6080's and drivers (cv181's I think) along with the Shuguang rectifier. The WA6SE, which will be mine tomorrow, is running GE power tubes along with tr Shuggy.

My plan is to order the Princess rectifier, and likely the 6GL7 tubes/converters. Though I may ask if Jack has any 596's left based on the strong reviews on here.

oh ok thanks, just wanted to see what tubes where used in the comparison.

skip the princess if you can get the 596, get the 596 and the 6GL7 or the princess and the 6FD7/6DR7.

both very good combinations. i found the 596 and 6GL7 to be extremely good, my favorite in fact. for me, it took the WA6-SE to the next level, especially good if you have HiFiman or Audeze headphones. I did not enjoy the 6GL7 combined with other tubes though.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #24,669 of 42,298
Quote:
Skylab and Dubstep girl spoke very highly of the T1 + WA2 combo.

yes!

the WA2 is an overall better pairing with T1. though the WA6-SE is a good choice too (with proper tubes, otherwise the T1 will sound a little too aggressive and bright). still theres more sweetness with the WA2, great tonality, the highs aren't harsh, and the bass is deep and strong with the WA2. the WA6-SE will be more SS like and be more detailed and spacious with the T1, though not as smooth and sweet sounding.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #24,670 of 42,298
Quote:
Thanks Caffeinated!
Have gone through the link quickly and find most people like T1/WA2 comb. 

You're welcome!

I knew about that thread because I too have been doing research with the goal of upping my head-fi game.  

I just purchased a Wa2, Gungnnr DAC, and HD800's on the for sales forum yesterday.  I'm now counting the minutes until they arrive next Friday.

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #24,671 of 42,298
Quote:

You're welcome!

I knew about that thread because I too have been doing research with the goal of upping my head-fi game.  

I just purchased a Wa2, Gungnnr DAC, and HD800's on the for sales forum yesterday.  I'm now counting the minutes until they arrive next Friday.

^ oooh sounds like a good combo. i do enjoy my WA2/Hd800 alot, what tubes are you getting with WA2? 

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #24,672 of 42,298
Quote:

^ oooh sounds like a good combo. i do enjoy my WA2/Hd800 alot, what tubes are you getting with WA2? 

Tung Sol 7236 power tubes, otherwise stock.  I'll sit with that for a while before changing anything.  I wasn't really planning on getting the HD800's so I sort of blew my tube budget on those.

I'm excited!  It's a big step up from the Fiio E7 & E9 combo I'm running right now.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #24,673 of 42,298
oooh tung sol 7236, i have 2 pairs of sylvania 7236 but never tried tung sol 7236, which are supposed to be a bit warmer. i feel the 7236 is a noticeable improvement from stock 6080. 

im sure you'll love your WA2 coming from a e7/e9. i came from a similar setup when i got my WA6-SE and i was blown away by the difference, this was when i had hd 650s!

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #24,674 of 42,298
Has anyone had any experience with sending in a Woo Audio amp for repair? Cost & experience with Woo audio repair?

I feel absolutely terrible right now as my Woo Wes went up in smoke this morning. I'm going to detail it below as I'd like to hear from the experts on whether or not this will be an easy fix that won't thrash my wallet (a few grand for repair would end this journey). I really don't know what to do. Perhaps one of you would like to buy a broken unit to repair if things don't go right?

Anyway, the Wes is the fully maxed option with an HE90 port. It's feeding my Stax Sr-009 & I was using all the upgraded tubes that are for sale on the sales page. The device shorted out at half volume and I lost the audio for a split second. It came back but the left side of my Sr-009 was noticeably quieter. The top unit of the Wes started smoking shortly after and a trail of smoke came out of the XLR ports in the back of the unit. It was a burnt plastic sort of smoke and smell. All 10 tubes still functioned 100% after the burn out. From my observation the bottom portion of the amp was unharmed. The device kept power and was still able to output sound through both channels of my SR-009.

This has sparked up my anxiety as I'm not rich by any stretch with money to blow left and right. I got my rig at an unbeatable price during a stretch where it was possible for me to jump on this unicorn rig setup. I hope I'm not screwed and need to fork over thousands for a replacement. What say you Head-fi?

Quote:
Finally, I like the fact that the WES has no circuit boards, no ICs, and uses point-to-point wiring.  Every integrated circuit will one day fail.  Every printed circuit board will one day get a short or have a component failure.  What happens with the BHSE in 20 years when that happens?  Will Justin be around?  Hopefully... but what if he isn't?  The BHSE will become an expensive, huge, paper weight.  With the WES, you just replace the failed component.

I read this in another thread and hope that it's as easy as what he's stating. It looks like the users ragged on him for his comment though. Come on Jack I'll hold you up like Simba from the Lion King if I can get a repair at a reasonable price! Yes I'm dramatic and yes I'm kind of crazy but don't you have to be if you decide to start messing around with high end electrostatic gear?

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #24,675 of 42,298
Posts like this every once in awhile really me make wonder if I would be better off with a WA2 over my WA22. I love a lush romantic sound and primarily listen to Jazz and acoustic with occasional downtempo electronics. The WA22 is phenomenal but not really that warm by itself unless you choose a slow syrupy rectifier like Mullard GZ37. That being said, I don't like it when music is being artificially slowed down to create the effect. I also like a fairly balanced FR.

yes!

the WA2 is an overall better pairing with T1. though the WA6-SE is a good choice too (with proper tubes, otherwise the T1 will sound a little too aggressive and bright). still theres more sweetness with the WA2, great tonality, the highs aren't harsh, and the bass is deep and strong with the WA2. the WA6-SE will be more SS like and be more detailed and spacious with the T1, though not as smooth and sweet sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back