Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #24,107 of 42,298
I have that exact combination! WA2 modified with a pre-out switch and extra set of pre-outs to run the subwoofer. The current run has the switch as stock; the "new" one I had last week was what Jack called "high-gain." It's unclear if that was just for the one he gave me, or if that is a new "feature." Regardless, I would try before buying as I found the increased gain to be too much and decided to get my old amp back with the switch repaired rather than have Woo correct the (different) switch problem on the new amp.

Sound wise, I find the M1DAC-WA2 combination to be very good! With the 2399s I got from Ultrainferno, the sound is the best I have ever had at home. I was using a Sunfire amp and liked it a lot. I recently got a Proceed Amp 2 that does everything the Sunfire did and has better bass. The bass extends lower, is just as well defined and the background is blacker. I am using ADAM Compact MK3 speakers. The "new" WA2 didn't allow me to run the sub and power amp simultaneously (a long story of its own) so I listened a lot with just the ADAMs. Since reverting to my old WA2, I've been very pleased but haven't been able to really evaluate the system as the system drive on my music player machine died. I just got another drive yesterday but won't have time to reimage until tonight/tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to being able to listen to the whole system with high-res files once all is working as it should.

The editor mangled the quote - I tried to fix it, but...

[name="bowtung"] I've finally decided to pull the plug for the Woo Audio WA2, I chose it over the WA6SE cause I like the sweeter tube sound, and also the fact that I can use it as a preamp as well. Currently I have a Musical Fidelity M1DAC, do you guys think it would be a good pairing with WA2, or should i probably get a new DAC? Also, do you guys have any experience in pairing the WA2 with power amps? I'm thinking a tube preamp and a SS power amp would be a very good match. I have a pair of B&W CM-1s. ManyThanks.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #24,108 of 42,298
I have a couple of TungSol 5998s, a bit dodgy (OK in the WA22, but some disturbing sputter/pops on the OTL WA2 during warm-up) and a couple of unmarked Chathams, sold as 5998, but I guess probably 2399s...

Anyway, they're my favourites, so I'd be up for 2-3 (depending on pricing) as well.

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #24,109 of 42,298
Quote:
I have a couple of TungSol 5998s, a bit dodgy (OK in the WA22, but some disturbing sputter/pops on the OTL WA2 during warm-up) and a couple of unmarked Chathams, sold as 5998, but I guess probably 2399s...

Anyway, they're my favourites, so I'd be up for 2-3 (depending on pricing) as well.

hey that happens to me as well with the 5998s (old pair did the same too), though there is nothing wrong with them

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #24,110 of 42,298
Caution: after a fellow member heard the same sputtering and pops for some time, it took out the headphone driver. Happened this winter, in fact. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #24,111 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
@ Ultrainferno: I say we move to promote/pre-order the next 30 days to get an indication. Even someone like me sitting out on the curb with no use whatsoever for the '2399' (not true) might even jump in to push sales forward. 
popcorn.gif

I'll call the tube guy next week and get back to you with price etc.
@Bob & Ben: The Chatham 2399 = Tung Sol 5998.

Sunday, in your honour, I'm going to have a Belgium Waffle with pure Canadian Maple syrup chased by Champagne with a splash of hibiscus. 
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #24,112 of 42,298
Quote:
Caution: after a fellow member heard the same sputtering and pops for some time, it took out the headphone driver. Happened this winter, in fact. 

confused_face.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #24,113 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

confused_face.gif

Yup. Our member's beloved K701. I'm sure our fellow Woozie will be along to speak on it later this evening...

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #24,114 of 42,298
Quote:

Yup. Our member's beloved K701. I'm sure our fellow Woozie will be along to speak on it later this evening...

frown.gif

not the first time i've heard of a k701 driver getting fried by an amp.

i still wonder what causes the popping/sputters with WA2 though, i just let it warm up before i put tubes in. only happens with some tubes like 6AS7G and 5998

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #24,115 of 42,298
My 5998s make me nervous. But, sound better than any other glass in the slot - I'm gambling to hear the best! This has me interested in Ultra's upcoming offering...

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #24,116 of 42,298
Quote:
frown.gif

not the first time i've heard of a k701 driver getting fried by an amp.

i still wonder what causes the popping/sputters with WA2 though, i just let it warm up before i put tubes in. only happens with some tubes like 6AS7G and 5998

confused_face_2.gif
  Do you mean the headphone?

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #24,117 of 42,298
Quote:

Sunday, in your honour, I'm going to have a Belgium Waffle with pure Canadian Maple syrup chased by Champagne with a splash of hibiscus. 
wink.gif

for a person who is temporary unemployed, you sure live a good life.  
biggrin.gif
  you must have a lot of cash hidden between walls.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #24,118 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

wink.gif

for a person who is temporary unemployed, you sure live a good life.  
biggrin.gif
  you must have a lot of cash hidden between walls.

Only 'cause I spend little, guard my tea tins like original WE300Bs and then sell-Sell-SELL stuff I no longer need! 
wink_face.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #24,119 of 42,298
Quote:

Ready for the snow??? 
angry_face.gif
 As much as I like the TS5998, I prefer the TS7236 a little more.

We're already shoveling! Got to stay ahead...can't just wait 'till it's finished, or we'll be buried. Any way, Yes TS7236 is fine, but I need all of them
size]

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #24,120 of 42,298
Quote:
We're already shoveling! Got to stay ahead...can't just wait 'till it's finished, or we'll be buried. Any way, Yes TS7236 is fine, but I need all of them
size]

Nice, I wish I can keep collecting like you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back