Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #23,956 of 42,298
If you think the 10/12 is good, wait til you open that 18. IMHO, it's one of the best 18 out there.

Awesome. :tongue_smile: Can't wait!

I'd recommend buying the something from Glengoyne, particularly the 21 y/o if you can find it. The 96 in your picture is another good choice and wont be available much longer. Glengoyne is a phenomenal producer, but has just recently been "discovered" by the masses and prices are going up, in some cases dramatically.

I've got about 200 bottles of scotch in the collection and Glengoyne has been my goto House for the last few years.

This is what's wrong with single malt, and the reason I've mostly moved to rum. Most people have no idea what a good aged rum tastes like and you can get a top shelf rum for the price of a very average bottle of whisky.
(apologies for the off topic derailment)

Has anyone owned the Woo2 and Violectric V200? It (zee German vun) is currently under consideration and I want to know how tubey "tubey" is in this case (the WA2 being my reference for tubey).

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #23,957 of 42,298
Rolled in a pair of Brimar black glass CV1988. Now I try not to buy super expensive tubes if I can help it but i'm going to have to purchase another pair for a backup. I hate to pull these out but too expensive for me to use as an everyday tube. Currently paired with 596 and RCA 6AS7. Going to swap in some 5998s, listen to a dead show and store these babies.

These might be my favorite 6SN7 variety

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #23,958 of 42,298
Perhaps, you'll roll 'em in when you have guests...be right over. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #23,959 of 42,298
Rolled in a pair of Brimar black glass CV1988. Now I try not to buy super expensive tubes if I can help it but i'm going to have to purchase another pair for a backup. I hate to pull these out but too expensive for me to use as an everyday tube. Currently paired with 596 and RCA 6AS7. Going to swap in some 5998s, listen to a dead show and store these babies.

These might be my favorite 6SN7 variety

They are not far from TS BGRP, I totally think they are worth it. Pair them with GEC 6AS7G and EML 5U4G...

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #23,960 of 42,298
Quote:
They are not far from TS BGRP, I totally think they are worth it. Pair them with GEC 6AS7G and EML 5U4G...

Ahh thanks for the recommendation jc. And Silent .. you bring some beer over and we might have a little listening session going on. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #23,961 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
WOO-HOOOOOO!

Just took delivery of two 5998/2399s all the way from Belgium - thanks Ultrainferno!  I've installed them in my WA2 and it is warming as I type.

Impressions to follow!

Let me know if you need some more. I still have 6 left for sale :wink: Let us know how you like them!

[size=11.0pt] Not sure where to start...  I guess with a succinct review of the 2399s... Get em if you can!  The increase in overall gain and bass definition and presence was more than worth it.  Whether through my 650s or my ADAM Compact Mk3 monitors, the drum sound on Blue Rondo a la Turk was outstanding - it was like being in the 30Th street studio with Joe. The dynamics and tone were that good!  Vocals sound great, too.  Corrine Bailey Rae's "Til It Happens To You" sounds superb, her emotion coming through so tangibly, you want to reach out and giver a hug.[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  [/size]
[size=11.0pt] In general, vocals never sounded more real.  Esperanza Spaulding's Junjo is another shining example of how good this pre-amp was.  The title track just pulled me right in while the haunting "Cantora De Yala" moved me even though I can't understand the words she is singing on the tune.  Her bass is wonderfully mic'ed - sounding very natural and "in room" while the percussion is startling on "Two Bad."[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  [/size]
[size=11.0pt] Rock music was equally glorious. N.E.R.D.'s "In Search Of..." made me listen all the way through - too distracting to try to work while it's playing.  Led Zep's "Achilles' Last Stand" never sounded better.  All of the layers are there.  Similarly, "Nobody's Fault But Mine" comes through in all it's glory, never sounding less congested.  Dan Reed's "Forgot to Make Her Mine" brings back long forgotten memories of... never mind, the past is the past, lol!   It's hard to "review" as I get sucked in and just keep listening.[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  [/size]
[size=11.0pt] Sound staging, imaging - pick your audiophile buzzword that connotes good sound - it'll fit.[/size]
[size=11.0pt]  [/size]
[size=11.0pt] In short, the little head/preamp truly sounded great.  Unfortunately, this is all past tense as I no longer have that amp, thanks to Jack.[/size]

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #23,962 of 42,298
Loving those 1939 vintage RCA's in the WA2!
"War's greatest hits" gotta love the layers of
percussion on the HD700's. Now it's Sly and
the family stone.
Hibuck...

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #23,964 of 42,298
Quote:
Loving those 1939 vintage RCA's in the WA2!
"War's greatest hits" gotta love the layers of
percussion on the HD700's. Now it's Sly and
the family stone.
Hibuck...

Very nice indeed.
Which tubes are a 1939 vintage?

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #23,965 of 42,298
Apologies if i am using the wrong thread here.

I have Woo WA 22 and Beyer T1's. Thinking of getting Audeze LCD 3. Are these gonna go ok together. I have not yet upgraded tubes...and am looking for advice. Im new to headphone audio and listen to metal and prog

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #23,968 of 42,298
suggestions for a phono stage to go with my 6SE that won't break the bank.
preferably 150 or under
unless theres a pressing reason to spend more of course.

i don't have a super hi end TT or cart
Pioneer pl 550 and a Shure M97xe cart

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #23,970 of 42,298
thanks!

also
how do i know to get MM or MC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back