Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 6, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #23,416 of 42,298
Thank you for the explanation on that Sid-Fi. I think I will look into the Audiophilleo  since that is what you're rocking. Man, I jumped from head amps to DACs to USB/SPDIF converters. Man, and I thought collecting firearms was expensive!

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #23,418 of 42,298
Quote:
Thank you for the explanation on that Sid-Fi. I think I will look into the Audiophilleo  since that is what you're rocking. Man, I jumped from head amps to DACs to USB/SPDIF converters. Man, and I thought collecting firearms was expensive!

Expensive? Places like Head-Fi are docile and delightful destinations. A wonderful place where one could share, contribute, look and learn. So docile in fact, you might even have an exchange with the Devil himself and wouldn't know it until you examined the contents of your wallet.

Many are left thinking to themselves..."Just how much help did I need?!" 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #23,419 of 42,298
Quote:
By USB interface I am really referring to a USB to SPDIF converter. In a nutshell, computers have generally been notoriously bad transports for sending music files to an external DAC. There are two primary reasons, timing errors and fairly dirty/noisy power.
I'm no expert but this should give you a very general high level of the issues at play and benefits. A few affordable solutions are Musical Fidelity V-Link, Stello U2, Audio-gd Digital Interfsce etc.these are all around the $250 ballpark range if I remember correctly. They aren't reference level solutions but should great improvement over direct connection in most cases.
I personally have more money invested in my USB Interfsce than I do in either my DAC or headphones and that has given me the best results IMO. Your connections look generally right. I'm not as familiar with the measurements you quoted with the XLR connectors since they are usually standard 3 and 4 pin sizes.

+1

USB to SPDIF converters really help improve the sound when playing from a computer.  i myself own the musical fidelity V-link which goes directly to my DL3. it works great and is a great buy for the price. 

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #23,420 of 42,298
Quote:

You should check out the Channel Islands Audio Transient MK II.  It serves as both a converter and a DAC.  So, you can start small, use it for both, and then eventually add a DAC.  I have owned a number of their components and have enjoyed each one.  And they are very reasonably priced.

http://www.ciaudio.com/products/TransientMKII

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #23,421 of 42,298
I myself own the Musical Fidelity V-LINK which goes directly to my DL3. It works great and is a great buy for the price.

You forgot to tell us which one, V-LINKII or V-LINK192? There is a big difference in pricing.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #23,422 of 42,298
oh i have the original V-LINK 1 (the black 24/96 one)

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #23,423 of 42,298
Quote:

Perhaps this meet would be educational:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/633123/seattle-meet-woodinville-saturday-12-15-2012

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #23,424 of 42,298
Oh cool,  a meet! I will try to get over there. Thanks. I really appreciate all the other input too. What I thought was going to be a simple audio purchase has become quite complex! I am researching three components instead of one. It's fascinating stuff I think.

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #23,425 of 42,298
Your pursuit may also raise your appreciation for both your acquisitions and listening to music itself. This is not a given. Do try to enjoy the journey...

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #23,428 of 42,298
Okay so I ended up buying a bunch of necessary cables as well as the PS Audio Digital Link III DAC. The Yulong looked really nice, but between the source being Hong Kong and thus over seas shipping and the fact that I had over 180 dollars in Amazon gift cards, the PS Audio's ease of purchase, lower cost, and delivery was what put it over the edge. Still researching on the USB SPDIF converter and I will put in the order for my WA22 soon as well. Exciting times! =)

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #23,429 of 42,298
Congrats on your purchase and welcome into Head-Fi. It's really nice being able to use Amazon gift cards towards our hobby.

Just as a future FYI Yulong partners with a US company called Grant Fidelity who are top notch and handle all the customer service and interactions. That and the D18 arrived within 3 days somehow.

Hope you're thrilled with your purchase. Keep us updated on your future orders.

Okay so I ended up buying a bunch of necessary cables as well as the PS Audio Digital Link III DAC. The Yulong looked really nice, but between the source being Hong Kong and thus over seas shipping and the fact that I had over 180 dollars in Amazon gift cards, the PS Audio's ease of purchase, lower cost, and delivery was what put it over the edge. Still researching on the USB SPDIF converter and I will put in the order for my WA22 soon as well. Exciting times! =)

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #23,430 of 42,298
The Yulong looked really nice, but between the source being Hong Kong and thus over seas shipping and the fact that I had over 180 dollars in Amazon gift cards, the PS Audio's ease of purchase, lower cost, and delivery was what put it over the edge.

This was a very wise decision, keep your fingers from this crap, it would only lead to never-ending problems. Now goes your hard earned money to PS Audio Inc. in Boulder, Colorado, a reliable company with good service. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back