Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Oct 28, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #23,176 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

I'm interested in the WA2.
I like the idea that it can be used as a preamp.
But when I mailed Woo, they don't offer any other upgrades then tubes anymore...
...is the WA2 great as it is? (I was quiet interested in the stepped volume pot. and maybe a power supply upgrade if that was available.)

What do you guys think? = ) 

I use my WA2 as a preamp at least as much as a headphone amp.  I am very pleased with it's performance in both roles.  Mine is stock except for second set of preout (to send signal to subwoofer) and a custom pre-out switch.  I've not heard the other volume control options, but the current one does not leave me wanting.  I understand current production units now have a standard switch to turn off the pre-out. 

I'm still waiting for mine - Hint-hint, Jack :^)

When using the WA2 as a headphone amp, have you ever used an external preamp (separate component from stereo or stand alone unit) out into the Woo?

Not yet.  I went through a phase where I was listening to a vintage Marantz Model 3800 as my pre-amp and I almost used the Woo just for HP.  But, after the initial novelty wore off, I put the Woo back in the system as only pre-amp.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #23,177 of 42,298
Quote:
WA 22 TUBE RECOMENDATIONS:

THANKS JC.  Anyone else have some favorites?

Rectifiers: Mullard CV378, EML 5U4G Mesh Plate, Mullard GZ33 / CV5745
Power: Tung-Sol 7236, Tung-Sol 5998, Tung-Sol 6520 (6AS7)
Drivers: Tung-Sol 6SN7GT Black Glass Round Plate, Tung-Sol 6F8G w/adapter, ECC32 MULLARD, Mullard CV 181, Sylvania 6SN7GT Bad Boy (3 hole, 1951)

HTH,
John

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #23,178 of 42,298
Rectifiers: Mullard CV378, EML 5U4G Mesh Plate, Mullard GZ33 / CV5745
Power: Tung-Sol 7236, Tung-Sol 5998, Tung-Sol 6520 (6AS7)
Drivers: Tung-Sol 6SN7GT Black Glass Round Plate, Tung-Sol 6F8G w/adapter, ECC32 MULLARD, Mullard CV 181, Sylvania 6SN7GT Bad Boy (3 hole, 1951)

HTH,
John

Don't like the GEC 6AS7G anymore?

OT, hope Sandy will good to you guys.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #23,179 of 42,298
A local buddy brought over his Schiit Mjolnir a couple of weeks ago and we listened to it and my WA22 through my Audiophilleo2/PurePower and Yulong D18 DAC. We listened to T1, HD800, LCD2.1, and HD 650.

My honest impression is that the Mjolnir was very impressive and for the price is a much better bargain than the WA22. I preferred my WA22 by a tad, and my buddy preferred the Mjolnir. The Mjolnir was so good for so much less than if I had to start over and buy something I might go that route instead. However, I love my WA22 so much I'm not quite willing to sell it and buy the Mjolnir to save a lot of money. If you already have the Mjolnir, it might be tough to spend all of the extra money to upgrade since I doubt the performance improvement will feel as significant.

Then again, my Yulong D18 DAC is very well known and popular for providing a smooth and warm sound that is still very detailed. I think that my DAC really helps the Mjolnir. If your using a DAC that is more analytical, the Mjolnir might sound a little cold and uninvolving, which might make the WA22 feel like a bigger step up. It's tough since there are so many variables here, but I hope the general impressions help.

Anyone having first hand experience with WA22 (stock tubes or other) versus the Schiit Mjonir? I have been contemplating for a WA22 for quite some time, but so happy with the Mjolnir I'm unsure if I even bother assessing the WA22 anymore. Need som constructive input from you guys.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #23,180 of 42,298
I hope all of my fellow Woo owners have been well. I haven't posted for a good month or two, so just wanted to say hi.

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #23,181 of 42,298
Quote:
I hope all of my fellow Woo owners have been well. I haven't posted for a good month or two, so just wanted to say hi.

All well...Seems that i'm not the only one missing lately..Glad to have you back..

My Mjolnir is somehow stuck in the Chinese custom since the 16th Oct and haven't receive them till now..Cant't wait to hear the performance..

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #23,182 of 42,298
Quote:

smiley_thumb.gif
 Back to you! 

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #23,183 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

All well...Seems that i'm not the only one missing lately..Glad to have you back..

My Mjolnir is somehow stuck in the Chinese custom since the 16th Oct and haven't receive them till now..Cant't wait to hear the performance..

What a 
rolleyes.gif
 relief!

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #23,184 of 42,298
Quote:
Don't like the GEC 6AS7G anymore?
OT, hope Sandy will good to you guys.

John, I honestly haven't listened to the GEC yet. Actually not much WA22 time at all since this past spring. But I will get to listen to all of the inventory one day.
Sandy will be here in a couple of hours 
angry_face.gif

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #23,185 of 42,298
Quote:
A local buddy brought over his Schiit Mjolnir a couple of weeks ago and we listened to it and my WA22 through my Audiophilleo2/PurePower and Yulong D18 DAC. We listened to T1, HD800, LCD2.1, and HD 650.
My honest impression is that the Mjolnir was very impressive and for the price is a much better bargain than the WA22. I preferred my WA22 by a tad, and my buddy preferred the Mjolnir. The Mjolnir was so good for so much less than if I had to start over and buy something I might go that route instead. However, I love my WA22 so much I'm not quite willing to sell it and buy the Mjolnir to save a lot of money. If you already have the Mjolnir, it might be tough to spend all of the extra money to upgrade since I doubt the performance improvement will feel as significant.
Then again, my Yulong D18 DAC is very well known and popular for providing a smooth and warm sound that is still very detailed. I think that my DAC really helps the Mjolnir. If your using a DAC that is more analytical, the Mjolnir might sound a little cold and uninvolving, which might make the WA22 feel like a bigger step up. It's tough since there are so many variables here, but I hope the general impressions help.

Very interesting. Which tubes did you use in WA22 when comparing the two?

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #23,186 of 42,298
Quote:
John, I honestly haven't listened to the GEC yet. Actually not much WA22 time at all since this past spring. But I will get to listen to all of the inventory one day.
Sandy will be here in a couple of hours 
angry_face.gif

Same here, this year was and still is very busy at work and my toddler is not helping (she likes to push or turn any buttons she can find), the WA22 is currently sitting in the closet.  Using the beta22 most of the time now.

Yup, Sandy will be here really soon.  

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #23,188 of 42,298
Anyone having first hand experience with WA22 (stock tubes or other) versus the Schiit Mjonir? I have been contemplating for a WA22 for quite some time, but so happy with the Mjolnir I'm unsure if I even bother assessing the WA22 anymore. Need som constructive input from you guys.

If you can, get them both :veryevil:. They can be used together as the Mjolnir has balanced XLR pre-outs.

They are also complimentary to each other in a few ways:

1) Mjolnir will drive harder-to-power headphones like K1000, HE6, while the WA22 features a lower-powered SE output for efficient cans/IEMs.
2) WA22 is Woo's most "euphonic" (responds most dramatically to tube rolling) amp, the Mjolnir is solid state all the way.
3) WA22 has a laid-back sound signature, while the Mjolnir has a (reportedly) more forward sound signature.

WA 22 TUBE RECOMENDATIONS:

My preference:

Rectifier - USAF 596 (needs adapter) or EML 5U4G
Driver - TS BGRP
Power - TS 7236 for LCDs or GEC 6AS7G for HD800

THANKS JC.  Anyone else have some favorites?

I would also include your Sophia Princess as a top-tier rectifier, second only to the 596 for me (I prefer it to the EML by a slight margin). For driver tubes, the Shuguang Treasure CV181 is very also nice and in current production. And while I concur with the 7236/6AS7G recommendation, I use the Sylvania variant of the 7236 and think it sounds great with the HD800 as well as the LCDs.

Thanks, project86. I'm looking to make my way through the entry-level doorway with Stax. WooAudio could very well be the host waiting for me :wink: on the other side.

No problem. I know how intimidating it can be thinking that any decent Stax rig must cost a fortune. Yes, it's still not cheap, but $499 for the WEE plus $580 for the SR-407 is not too terrible (assuming you already own a halfway decent amp or integrated). 

Yes, additional costs continue to give me pause. Though, if I had committed earlier in the year and suspended other tweaks, I would have completed the transition already.:rolleyes:  At least both of my amps will not leave reason for pause - both sound wonderful (custom built OTL amp by 2359glenn & a 1980 Pioneer SX-D7000). :ksc75smile:

My Stax entry was even less, as my Lambda Pro was $375 shipped including a brand-new set of OE earpads purchased separately. Loving it, today is the first day that I put on a different headphone since I tried the Lambdas. I really like that I can stay in preamp mode with the WA22 and just turn the switch on the WEE to use a different headphone :)

Hoping Sandy will lose both energy and interest, sparing all of you...

Yes, stay high and dry Right Coast Woosies!

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #23,189 of 42,298
I enjoyed your WEE write-up Project86. I sorted through speaker amps first with the HE6, so I did not try it with others but I agree with your assessments for the most part. Of course I am using different Stax headphones, and I have not heard anything at all objectionable through them which I found to be pleasantly surprising. On that note, my only criticism is that I would have liked to have seen a picture of the 404LE that you used included in the article! All in all, I am in full agreement that the WEE is an excellent choice for those looking to test the Stax waters. That's a very good thing, considering it is the only modern interpretation of a Stax energizer available. You mentioned that the WEE was sent to you specifically for review purposes along with the headphones; will you be keeping them?
:beerchug:

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #23,190 of 42,298
Quote:
I enjoyed your WEE write-up Project86. I sorted through speaker amps first with the HE6, so I did not try it with others but I agree with your assessments for the most part. Of course I am using different Stax headphones, and I have not heard anything at all objectionable through them which I found to be pleasantly surprising. On that note, my only criticism is that I would have liked to have seen a picture of the 404LE that you used included in the article! All in all, I am in full agreement that the WEE is an excellent choice for those looking to test the Stax waters. That's a very good thing, considering it is the only modern interpretation of a Stax energizer available. You mentioned that the WEE was sent to you specifically for review purposes along with the headphones; will you be keeping them?
beerchug.gif

Thanks!

I'm still debating whether or not I'm going to buy this setup from Woo - Jack has graciously let me keep it for another few weeks until I figure out what I'm doing. It all hinges on my amplification situation, which unfortunately is so fluid that it's hard to predict. I only have so much room and I have to really focus on keeping the few items that I use most. The main thing is that closed headphones and IEMs get a lot more use with my family situation. 

That said, if I end up not purchasing it now, I'm certain I'll be "back for more" in the near future. I was considering a maxxed GES and an SR4070 or perhaps all the way to a WES and SR009 when money allows. But the WEE/SR404LE sure does make beautiful music....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back