Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #22,396 of 42,298
Hey all, need some help troubleshooting my WA5.  Listened to a few tracks through my laptop -> DAC -> WA5 and I'm getting an intermittent shrill hissing static like sound.  It seems to die down when I lower the volume then raise it back slowly.  Rewound the tracks to where it happened and I don't get the same hiss.  Any ideas if something is wrong with my tubes?  Or is there something with my laptop power, DAC USB, and headphone cables touching or something?

confused_face_2.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #22,397 of 42,298
My WA3 does the same thing.  I've put all kinds of tubes in there to see if it was caused by tubes.  It was not.  I checked all the soldering points, and they're good.  Caps look good to the eye.  I have no idea what is causing it, so if you figure out what is causing yours, I'm interested in knowing.  Maybe it'll help me.

Quote:
Hey all, need some help troubleshooting my WA5.  Listened to a few tracks through my laptop -> DAC -> WA5 and I'm getting an intermittent shrill hissing static like sound.  It seems to die down when I lower the volume then raise it back slowly.  Rewound the tracks to where it happened and I don't get the same hiss.  Any ideas if something is wrong with my tubes?  Or is there something with my laptop power, DAC USB, and headphone cables touching or something?

confused_face_2.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #22,398 of 42,298
My WA2 arrived today!

Thanks To Dubstep Girl for answering all my questions and recommendation
I thought G-lite was a decent AMP
basshead.gif

My T1 will be here on Tuesday but so far I'm enjoying my DT990 too much!!

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #22,399 of 42,298
Does anyone like to take a pair of matched USAF-596 NOS from me ? $40 each plus shipping. Send me a Pm if you are interested. Thanks

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #22,400 of 42,298
Quote:
The WA2 is one of the best amps out there.  Period.  But, it is an OTL, so it's not overly great with low impedance headphones.  Also, the best tubes for it are on the expensive side.  It sounds great with cheap tubes, but sounds sublime with expensive tubes.

Quote:

grokit - The WA6 isn't that great? Or is the WA2 just that much better that its not even worth looking into the WA6? Can you expound on this a little more?

Pretty much what hodgjy said, meaning it's fantastic with high-impedance headphones like the HD650. I consider the WA2 and WA6SE to be right in Woo's wheelhouse from a price/performance standpoint, so for myself I would also consider a 6SE before a WA6.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #22,401 of 42,298
Beautiful setup!
Quote:
My WA2 arrived today!

Thanks To Dubstep Girl for answering all my questions and recommendation
I thought G-lite was a decent AMP
basshead.gif

My T1 will be here on Tuesday but so far I'm enjoying my DT990 too much!!

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #22,402 of 42,298
I've been enjoying the 990 600 ohms. I love those cans. I need to start saving for the HE-500. I wonder if Ultrainferno has missed his during his vacation.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #22,403 of 42,298
Quote:
I think SO meant a 12SN7 to 6SN7 adapter.
You can actually run a 12SN7 in an amp that uses 6SN7 without an adapter.

Thanks, sir. 
wink_face.gif
 That's exactly what I meant. And yes you could get by but, you know me, I don't like to dilly dally. So, a heater doubler it is! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #22,405 of 42,298
Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I have 2 pairs of 12V TSRP so will give them a try in the Woo.

If they test strong and have good life test results they will sound nearly as good as the 6SN7 equivalents.

EDIT No doubt with Glenn's adapters you'll get the best performance out of the 12SN7, it's the best solution.

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #22,406 of 42,298
Quote:

Pretty much what hodgjy said, meaning it's fantastic with high-impedance headphones like the HD650. I consider the WA2 and WA6SE to be right in Woo's wheelhouse from a price/performance standpoint, so for myself I would also consider a 6SE before a WA6.

AT that price point you also have the Decware CSP2+ or the Taboo. Has anyone ever compared the Woo's to the Decware?

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #22,407 of 42,298
Quote:
If they test strong and have good life test results they will sound nearly as good as the 6SN7 equivalents.

EDIT No doubt with Glenn's adapters you'll get the best performance out of the 12SN7, it's the best solution.

I'm guessing that the heater emissions will be down and that will contribute to the "nearly". Its a shame more amp manufacturers don't include a simple circuit to switch the heaters between 6v and 12v like Lloyd Peppard does on the mapletree. In his design its a 12V DC heater supply with a switch between running them in series or in parallel.

I am very tempted with the adaptor already given the 12sn7 costs vs 6sn7and that I already have a stash. 
beyersmile.png

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #22,408 of 42,298
Spot on.

It's a wise move to buy a 12SN7>6SN7 adaptor.
Some SP's also offered the 12V heater option via an external power supply.

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #22,409 of 42,298
Quote:
I'm back from holidays :D Everyone can expect his 596 tracking number very soon!
Has anyone had any news from Keph? (the 596 adapter guy) He's been missing for 2 weeks online, I'm getting worried

I have had three PM sent to Keph the last 2-3 weeks and he has not responded to any of them. We had arranged for him to make an umbilical cord for my WA5, but he has not sent any followups.
Not sure but hopefully everything is fine with him. 

Rumble

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #22,410 of 42,298
I have both the WA6 and the CSP2; they are both very very good.
When I needed to get an additional amp a couple of years ago, I got another CSP2.
To me, the WA6 sounded dry and sterile, compared to the CSP2; the CSP2 had a 'magic liveliness' that was missing in the WA6.
The difference was not profound, but noticeable.
The performance of both amps are highly dependent on tube selection.
The comparison was based on the best tube combination I'd found for each amp, at that time.
The WA6 can drive low impedance headphones better than the CSP2.
The CSP2 is also pre-amp.
I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with either one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back